Golden Retriever / Now What?

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, my daughter got a English Golden Retriever, its almost pure white. We picked it up from the pound as a rescue dog. She is very stubborn and is constantly wanting something to chew. Where to begin. Finally got her off-leash without her running away. The dog is very smart. Never have trained a dog like this, what do I do. She is about 2 years old I think and I been trying to get her to retrieve.

def90

WKR
It's a retriever/working dog, nothing makes them happier than doing some work/retrieving. Get one of those tennis ball flingers and get to it. Keep it busy and the stubborness and chewing will probably go away, on top of being stressed due to being a recue the thing is probably bored to death.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of good books on dog training (conditioning).

Getting a do to retrieve is easy, basically you set it up so that they try to bring the item back to “their spot”, then you intercept them and praise them for bringing it to you. Before you know it, they will be returning it to you out of a sense of duty.

Dogs that are chewing/destroying things are often trying to cope with being restless due to lack of stimulation. A tired dog is a well behaved dog.

Decker9

WKR
I had a very high anxiety dog I got as a pup. When she turned 2, I got her a dog pack, it seemed to make a big difference to the training I found. Almost 7 years later, she’s my main backpack hunting partner. When the dog pack comes out, all attention is on me. Might be worth a try.

KurtR

WKR
They offer lots of obedience classes at places for dogs. Go to them learn and then be consistent to be fair to the dog. Get a nylabone to chew on. If the dog is not supervised it should be in its crate till it can be trusted not to chew. Till recall is 100% dog should have a check cord on. Say a command once and enforce it when you keep repeating your self the dog is learning you dont really mean what you say.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Once you get her retrieving, get her to a lake or pond. My in-laws goldens loved the water. Nothing tired them out like a good lake day.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
They offer lots of obedience classes at places for dogs. Go to them learn and then be consistent to be fair to the dog. Get a nylabone to chew on. If the dog is not supervised it should be in its crate till it can be trusted not to chew. Till recall is 100% dog should have a check cord on. Say a command once and enforce it when you keep repeating your self the dog is learning you dont really mean what you say.
100% take @KurtR ’s advice. (His avatar bona fide indicates he knows what he’s talking about!). Absolutely crate train the dog. Dedicate yourself & your daughter to completing full obedience training. The pay off for doing this is far more than you can imagine now. Sit means sit immediately & don’t move until I say “here”. Here means here NOW and not whenever. Heel means heel to my left or right immediately. Lastly, please please please for the love of Pete don’t tell that dog to “stay”! There’s no such thing after “sit!”

WCB

WKR
100% as others have said. #1 priority is obedience training. The dog will more than likely naturally retrieve. So IMO no issue playing basic fetch etc...but get the basics down first then go into formal retriever training.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I adopted a rescue golden at 11 months. He had no interest in retrieving...he liked to go one way and have you chase him. What worked for me:
1. Find treats the dog really likes (for a Golden almost anything).
2. Practice coming when called and reward as appropriate.
3. For retrieving, start with small distances, really just a step or 2
3. Toss the ball or dummy or whatever. Once the dog gets it, immediately have him drop it, reward with treat, praise, etc.
4. Continue, increasing the distance.

You're rewarding three separate behaviors: Picking up the object. Releasing it. Coming when called. You might need to break it down into separate exercises to build muscle memory. DO NOT chase the dog to get it back. That's a fun game and just patterns the wrong behavior. Eventually turn your back, be disinterested, etc.

My pup is now 10, and, after a series of illnesses, very close to the end of his life. I cannot begin to convey how much he's brought to my life and the life of my family.Ronc.jpg

11boo

WKR
Yeah you have a lot of work ahead. They are smart and will learn. A bunch of chew toys are better than chewed shoes.

D0E50605-D2C7-45A1-AEB8-886565A454DD.jpeg5B2F6AD5-1057-4B12-978C-E56252C3A1B7.jpeg

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
You'll get ahead of it, puppies suck. They need exercise, a tired golden is a well behaved one. Luckily for you golden's are one of the easier breeds to train, people pleasers for sure. Sounds like some obedience training would be worth the investment more so to teach you than anything else. Definitely a show golden, but some occasionally will hunt; most like to retrieve. Mine was kind of a PITA until he was about 2, now he's a pleasure at home and in the field.

Attachments

• IMG_2027.JPG
    IMG_2027.JPG
    354 KB · Views: 29
  • LukeNiko.jpg
    LukeNiko.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 29

Superdoo

WKR
One method I've used is to start in a hall way with all the doors closed so going through you is the only way out. Put a long enough lead on the dog so it will reach the end of the hallway. Start close to the end of the hallway and throw the ball, then reel in the dog as necessary and praise upon return. After the desired result is achieved move further back. Always keep the lead on so you get what you want every time. Whatever command you plan on using in the field should be used in the hallway.
Keep the sessions short and meaningful. When it's time to quit, find a favorite toy and let them play with that.
This is an easy way to get reps in quickly.

I adopted a rescue golden at 11 months. He had no interest in retrieving...he liked to go one way and have you chase him. What worked for me:
1. Find treats the dog really likes (for a Golden almost anything).
2. Practice coming when called and reward as appropriate.
3. For retrieving, start with small distances, really just a step or 2
3. Toss the ball or dummy or whatever. Once the dog gets it, immediately have him drop it, reward with treat, praise, etc.
4. Continue, increasing the distance.

You're rewarding three separate behaviors: Picking up the object. Releasing it. Coming when called. You might need to break it down into separate exercises to build muscle memory. DO NOT chase the dog to get it back. That's a fun game and just patterns the wrong behavior. Eventually turn your back, be disinterested, etc.

My pup is now 10, and, after a series of illnesses, very close to the end of his life. I cannot begin to convey how much he's brought to my life and the life of my family.View attachment 443606
Oh man, I got a fuzz just like him at home. This is Calvin from 2013. He's been retired from bird hunting for a few years now due to arthritis in his front legs and rear end. Really hoping he can make it through the fall and see his 12th birthday.

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Calvin.jpg
    Calvin.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 21
Don’t bring a caribou skull home from Alaska to leave in the spare bedroom where your wife works while you order a Skull Hooker. Definitely don’t let her forget to shut the bedroom door while you’re gone. That skull won’t last 5 minutes with a young golden retriever in the house.

Don’t bring a caribou skull home from Alaska to leave in the spare bedroom where your wife works while you order a Skull Hooker. Definitely don’t let her forget to shut the bedroom door while you’re gone. That skull won’t last 5 minutes with a young golden retriever in the house.
Same instructions apply for the largest TX whitetail you've ever shot. :rolleyes: