Good books????

Lucreau

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Looking to add to the collection. Anyone read or currently reading any really good western/Alaskan type books?

Antares

WKR
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but these are some interesting Alaska books that come to mind.

The Thousand Mile War
Ordinary Wolves
Wager with the Wind
Castner's Cutthroats
Alaska's Wolf Man

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Edmund Morris' biographies on Theodore Roosevelt, specifically The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and Colonel Roosevelt capture Teddy's time out west at the end of the Western era, his time in Cuba during the Spanish American War and then his 1909 Safari really well.

OP
L

Lucreau

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Thanks guys!!! Going to be making an order today

Non-fiction:
One Man's Wilderness by Dick Proenneke
Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides

Historical fiction:
The Revenant and Ridgeline by Michael Punke

Pure fiction:
Louis L'amour (Sitka in particular if you want something set in Alaska)

TXRM1280

FNG
Okay not a western as it’s set in Kentucky but the history is fascinating….Cornbread Mafia. It’s not something I probably would have picked up on my own but my dad actually gave it to me for my birthday and said give it a shot, it’s great history and hilarious in a lot of ways. Look it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
Can't recommend Robert Ruark books enough.

Horn of the hunter
The old man and the Boy
and everything else by this author

re-read all of his books, among others, every year before the season

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to add to the collection. Anyone read or currently reading any really good western/Alaskan type books?
I’ve got nothing original to add but for fiction:
“Lonesome Dove” is probably my favorite novel and it’s got a great western them. I also like a lot of McMurtry’s other books like the ones from the “Last Picture Show” set of books. (Duane and Sonny series???) set in a small oil town in west Texas. Cormac McCarthy was my other favorite contemporary novelist and “Blood Meridian”, “No Country for Old Men” and the Border Trilogy Set are all just amazing boos with western themes.

As for Non-Fixtion: “Undaunted Courage” about the Lewis and Clark voyage is fantastic. I’m currently re reading it. “Crazy Horse and Custer” by the same author, Stephen Ambrose is also excellent. I can also highly recommend “Empire of the Summer Moon” about the Comanche Nation. Just absolutely fantastic storytelling and doesn’t hold back on the sheer brutality of both sides.

One book I haven’t seen mentioned is “Blood and Thunder” by Hampton Sides. It’s a really well written history of the settling of New Mexico focusing on the Navajo Nation, along with Kit Carson. I really liked that book.

Just finished "The Thousand Mile Summer" by Colin Fletcher. Guy backpacked thru California from Mexico to Oregon via the Sierras back in 1958. Book was published in 1964. Very interesting book.

TXRM1280

FNG
Three Corners War is another good one about the New Mexico and arizona original history. Includes kit Carson, whose statue no longer stands in Santa Fe square, and the bosque radando saga with the Navajo and other tribes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk