Mountain Goat Books?

I’ve read Alaska’s Wolf Man, it’s a great book.
Agreed! Rearden was really talented at painting a picture with words, made it all feel real.

Goat hunting stories also appear in "Targets Hit and Targets Missed," by Leslie Yaw and "Alaska-Yukon Trophies Won and Lost," by G.O. Young. I think Rearden is a better writer than the others, but they're all worthwhile for an account of what a goat trip was like way back.

kaboku68

WKR
Snyder's book of big game hunting by Col. Harry Snyder is good. Hunting Alaska by Roy Chandler is also good and you can find it for a good price right now. That will change. Handloggers by W.H. Jackson also has some interesting stories.

Cheechako

FNG
The mountain goat challenge by Ace Sommerfeld is great if you can find a copy. Beast the color of winter is hugely valuable for understanding the social structure of goat herds. Lots of good information in the hard scientific literature as well. Duncan Gilchrist’s books were hard to find and not my bag at all. You might find them interesting if you can find them at a library.

The mountain goat challenge by Ace Sommerfeld is great if you can find a copy. Beast the color of winter is hugely valuable for understanding the social structure of goat herds. Lots of good information in the hard scientific literature as well. Duncan Gilchrist’s books were hard to find and not my bag at all. You might find them interesting if you can find them at a library.
You have any idea where to get a copy of that book by Ace Sommerfeld? I talked to the company that printed it a while back and they quit printing it years ago and didn’t have a clue where I could find a copy.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You have any idea where to get a copy of that book by Ace Sommerfeld? I talked to the company that printed it a while back and they quit printing it years ago and didn’t have a clue where I could find a copy.
I just snagged one off Amazon for 50.00, it’s like 85.00 on ebay

Those Duncan Gilchrist books are just about impossible to find under $500.. Anyone in Anchorage have a copy? I’ll borrow or buy. Hunt high or Hunting Mtn goat.

O’Conners “Big game animals of North America” has a cool chapter on goats.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Not to derail the thread but why in the world is Duncans goat book worth so much? I'm pretty sure I still have a copy but its at my place on POW. Going to have to dig it up next time I'm down there!

Got a copy of his bear book signed with a note to Bob Boutang at the Fairbanks value village a year or so ago. Kinda came full circle, I knew Bob when I was a young guide.

I drew a SE goat tag this year as well. Good luck on your hunt.

PMcGee

WKR
I got one of Duncan’s books by messaging his daughter(I think)on Facebook. I got it for $25 the cheapest I could find anywhere else was $200. She said she needed to redo the website. Worth a try if you want his goat book. Stoneydale Press and publishing company is the company I messaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I second "A Beast The Color Of Winter" by Douglas Chadwick
This is not a hunting book but more the ecology of Mountain Goats. If you know where, why and how animals live in their natural environment you can hunt them with far better success.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I second "A Beast The Color Of Winter" by Douglas Chadwick
This is not a hunting book but more the ecology of Mountain Goats. If you know where, why and how animals live in their natural environment you can hunt them with far better success.
One of the biggest benefits of this book is his insight into their behavior/society and how that can help you with identification and understanding what you’re seeing with a large group of goats. The more I look at them the more I appreciate what he captured in that writing.