Good Gas Mileage Hunting Vehicle

I have a pretty good situation where I have a company vehicle that I use as a personal vehicle as well. The company pretty much pays for all my gas in it unless I were to take it on a non work related trip. I also have a 2017 chevy silverado z71 that I use as my hunting rig and the only fuel that I pay for. A gas card is a major perk when fuel prices reach the state that they are in right now.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
I take my daily commuter car hunting these day. Audi Q5 with a 1” lift and some light off-road tires. I get 27 mpg on the highway. With seats down I can fit all my gear and or sleep in the back. I have just shy of 10” ground clearance, works great for back logging roads and what not. I don’t take it too far off road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An advantage to a "commuter"-type vehicle that has not been mentioned-

When I park my '14 Sub Outback off the side of the road/trailhead in the national forests, I tend to think I blend in with the hikers.

In contrast, a pickup with hunt gear bumper stickers out the wazoo draws considerably more attention.

Maybe not a factor where you are, but worth mentioning.

unnamed.jpg

With my rig I don't hesitate to drive 2 hours round trip to do a 1-hour stalk along a ridgeline before dark (if that's all I have time to do). If all I had was a truck I would prob hunt less. If gas $$ doesn't affect your ability/willingness to hunt, great, but a commuter allows me to hunt more.

zacattack

WKR
I wish I got 20+

2015 DCSB, 3.5" lift, topper, front aluminum bumper with winch, rear steel bumper, steel skid plates, sliders, roof rack and light bar.

Driving 55 and paying attention to the pedal and running max pressure I can get 17, normal every day driving it's about 15 and any time spent in the woods it's 13.
Oof. Mine is the same but it’s all stock with just a bed cover. Cruising around 80 down the highway getting 20+ is easy. Might want to just think about getting rid of all the extras before you buy something new.

The camper shell on my trucks (B2200, Dakota 5.9L, and F150/EB) has always saved me a few measured MPG. The other stuff costs MPGs. That F150 costs me 15.1 mpg commuting, but I'm not patient or gentle.

As a family we're getting better at sharing vehicles, which mostly means I "get" to drive the Forester sometimes. We'll always have a truck though to tow stuff. Also in the category of workarounds we've started buying more airline tickets instead of driving, which just saved me $800 last week.

Don't forget insurance costs if you add a vehicle to the stable.
Junior's insurance would go up by $800/yr if he had to be named primary driver instead of sharing.

tony

WKR
If you all aren’t using it, I highly recommend
fuelly.com
Track fuel ups mileage, miles driven, etc
Free!

Bsevans5

FNG
Bottom line, when you gain one thing you give up another. Gotta prioritize what's most important and go from there

jfs82

WKR
My daily driver and vehicle I take hunting is a Rav 4 hybrid AWD, I've averaged 40 mpg since I got it. It's moderately capable and I'll keep it till I can swap it for an electric pickup that gets 350+ miles per charge (hopefully closer to 500)

parshal

WKR
Every time I think about an electric truck for hunting I realize I'd have a tough time with it. I drive 400+ each way to go bird hunting. There aren't any chargers to speak of along the route.

My daily driver and vehicle I take hunting is a Rav 4 hybrid AWD, I've averaged 40 mpg since I got it. It's moderately capable and I'll keep it till I can swap it for an electric pickup that gets 350+ miles per charge (hopefully closer to 500)
Honest question with todays upcoming issues of power supply. Are there enough charging stations where you want to go to be able to readily charge an EV vehicle? There is a lot of rumbling about blackouts this summer and probably into winter with coal being attacked the same way oil is. Coal power plants and mines are closing up, due to uncertainty about what this gov is going to do to them. This will prohibit people from charging vehicles and Solar Panels alone are not going to be able to keep up with demand, especially in inclement weather. Same with turbines. I am all for offsetting foil fuels, but the infrastructure is not there yet. It is still only viable b/c it is being subsidized, wholly. This is not an attack on you just my questions and observations from what industry people are talking about.

Toyotas just run forever. There was just a story in Field Ethos about them. They have been proven around the world and are pretty much bomb proof. If I could afford to I would import a Helix or older FJ in diesel and be set.

jfs82

WKR
Honest question with todays upcoming issues of power supply. Are there enough charging stations where you want to go to be able to readily charge an EV vehicle? There is a lot of rumbling about blackouts this summer and probably into winter with coal being attacked the same way oil is. Coal power plants and mines are closing up, due to uncertainty about what this gov is going to do to them. This will prohibit people from charging vehicles and Solar Panels alone are not going to be able to keep up with demand, especially in inclement weather. Same with turbines. I am all for offsetting foil fuels, but the infrastructure is not there yet. It is still only viable b/c it is being subsidized, wholly. This is not an attack on you just my questions and observations from what industry people are talking about.
Oh I'm two years away likely, but yes. Im in CA and there's spots all over, near 300 tesla superchargers in Ca alone, (if I drew out of state I'd take the Ram) even way out there you're not more than 100 miles from a place to charge. I can charge at work (school district) and charge off a few family houses that are fully powered on solar (and even make money from the extra power they generate). This year will definitely still be the rav4.

Last edited:

7Bartman

WKR
My 2018 F150 Quad cab gets 21 mpg and my wife's 2020 Forester gets 28 mpg. I'm happy with the mpg on my f150. It's one reason I didn't go the Toyota or Dodge route.

tk44

FNG
Classified Approved

I went electric for daily driving and most road trips. Range is over 300 miles and never had an issue with charging, even on trips greater than 1000+ miles. There are more than enough chargers all over the place to keep you going. Charges take around 30 - 45 minutes.

When you factor in that those chargers also happen to be in shopping centers and places to eat, it makes it viable... and if you have young kids, it's a no brainer. You're going to be stopping every few hours for them anyways, so might as well use that time to charge.

I'm just about ready to trade in the Raptor to go electric truck also, but having a hard time deciding which to go with.

Moserkr

WKR
Hmm some of these gasser truck mileage stats are gut wrenching. Driving a 2020 3500 chevy ccsb diesel and it gets 20 mpg highway, 16-17 city, 12 towing a 9000 lb trailer. For the hwy/city, it doesnt matter if i put 2000 lbs in the bed either. No one is factoring in a few bull elk in their trucks on a trip home i guess. Add in my 70 gal external fuel tank too, and my 9500lb truck has a 2000 mile range which lets me really save at the pump where its cheapest.

Now, if you dont need to tow, any 1500 diesel truck or jeep w/diesel would be my next pick. 25+ mpg and able to haul stuff vs a little subaru is a no brainer. But if toyota can make a full size diesel truck that can tow 30,000 lbs, sign me up!!