Good, inexpensive bag?

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I've been digging around on the Sleeping System Forum for the past 3 days trying to decide on what sleeping bag I should get. I feel more confused than when I started.

I'm doing my first elk hunt in Montana this September. We're going in on horses, with a guide, wall tents, cots etc.

Guide recommended a "good 0° bag" but didn't offer any specific recommendations.

I'm a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy and aware that there's a difference between a truck/trailhead bag vs a back packing bag. Backpacking bags need to be light, compact, warm, waterproof, etc. Truck bags just need to be comfortable and warm. I need a "truck/trailhead" bag.

Ive already decided that when I do my DIY hunt, I'm going to get a Western Mountaineering bag for my spiking out. But that's not what I'm after on this hunt.

I'm a side/stomach sleeper, so I don't want a mummy bag, I want a rectangular or wide mummy bag. (Pref a rectangular bag). I've also been advised to buy one with a hood.

I'm not worried about weight cuz the horses will be helping haul it in, or when I camp at the trailhead I'll just walk from the truck to the tent, so weight isn't an issue. But I also don't want the heaviest bag either.

Also full disclosure I have a Thermarest Xtherm with a high R-value. But we will be on cots in camp.

I'm fine spending $100-250 on a bag if it's worth it. But it seems like the options are endless. I also have dug thru articles on Down, Synthetic or "nano-treated/Super Down." I've also read about temperature ratings vs. Comfort ratings....

All this info floating in my head and I can't even narrow a few bags down, let alone pick a bag.

So can I hear some suggestions on a few to look at?

(If possible, I got a ton of cabelas gift cards and would love to grab one from there, but that's not a deal breaker. I'm more interested in the RIGHT bag than just buying it from cabelas to burn gift cards.)

I appreciate your suggestions.

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been doing some similar shopping.

Cabela’s 0° instinct scout bag comes in a hooded rectangular model. 650 duck down puts it in a solid mid range. I think they run mid $2xx if it’s in your gift card budget.

If not, it sounds like synthetic is the answer. Big Agnes has a few semi-rectangular synthetic bags in your cash budget and moosejaw is doing 20% off one item right now

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
I just got the middle bag in the picture below. I compared it to my son’s cosmic down and it appears to be legit. Must be a previous model. It was $100 cheaper than REI or Cabelas. We were actually shopping for my wife and came across this smoking deal. It was only available in long, so I ordered it for me and gave her my old 0 degree bag which was too short for me. Win! I am sure there are better bags out there, but this appears to be a pretty good bang for your buck.

Attachments

• 536F5B0D-86B2-4060-9040-EA601BC5B28A.png
    536F5B0D-86B2-4060-9040-EA601BC5B28A.png
    649.9 KB · Views: 63
OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend you take that pad with you and use it on the cot. Cots are cold because the air flows under them.
Yes, the pad is coming with me. The guide says he has pads, but it's a horse pack hunt so I can take a little extra gear for comfort.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the middle bag in the picture below. I compared it to my son’s cosmic down and it appears to be legit. Must be a previous model. It was $100 cheaper than REI or Cabelas. We were actually shopping for my wife and came across this smoking deal. It was only available in long, so I ordered it for me and gave her my old 0 degree bag which was too short for me. Win! I am sure there are better bags out there, but this appears to be a pretty good bang for your buck.
Kinda hoping I can find a rectangular bag with a hood.

The Instinct looks like a mummy bag too?

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I think you can get away with a more budget bag if you have a really good sleeping pad - the ground is going to chill you more than the air in September.

I'm a hot sleeper but I was warm down to a frost in a 40 degree bag wearing socks, pants, a baselayer and sweatshirt. I had the corners cinched down so that it would stay over my shoulders and let less heat out and ended up getting hot.

The pad i used was an exped synmat winter. That thing is luxurious. Its expensive but incredible. Worth the money and worth the pack weight.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the looks of the Cabelas Instinct bag. The Wiggys are a bit out of my budget.

Any other rectangular, 0° bags with a hood?

Anyone use Teton bags?

I have one of those xxl 0 degree Teton bags for the kind of hunts your talking about. I've been happy with mine so far. They are huge, warm, and well made.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I have one of those xxl 0 degree Teton bags for the kind of hunts your talking about. I've been happy with mine so far. They are huge, warm, and well made.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I went with a Teton -25° bag. Not breaking the bank, horses can carry it in, hood/draw string, rectangular, all the things I was looking for.

I really looked into the Wigggys Super Lite hunter, that was a close 2nd.

Thanks for all the help.

Rokwiia

WKR
If you sleep on a cot without an underbag or pad, you're going to lose body heat. In order to remain thermoneutral at 0F, both your bag and your underprotection (pad or underbag) must be rated to 0F.

Definitely bring your XTerm.

FLS

WKR
I’ve been using a Wiggys for my cot bag. A Thermarest Z mat will give you some insulation and keep it from sliding around.