GoRuck Event

arnie

FNG
Anybody have any experience with these? Looking at possibly doing a GoRuck tough leading into Spetemeber Elk.

Worth the time and money? Seems like it could be fun and some additional training motivation.

I've done a couple of them. Toughs, not the bigger ones they have now.

They leave me pretty pooched. Using them as an excuse to train for is the biggest thing.

The part that surprised me the most was the leadership component.

sram9102

WKR
I have done several its been several years tho, and as stubble said it is a good reason to stay in shape. You never want to be the person holding the rest of the group up. Had a local group that started recruiting people to come out that were in way over their head in the conditioning aspect, kind of pushed me out of doing them. They make awesome gear. I use my GR1 all the time. Give it a try you may like them, may not. Do some pushups.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have also done a couple, I thought they sounded better than they actually were. Unless you do the Heavy, the Light and the Standard one you only moved as fast as your slowest person. They didn’t kick anyone out unless you tapped out. I think the Light and the Standard are more suited to Team Building exercises with a focus on suffering together is easier than suffering alone.

I have two of their packs though, including the one I used for my Challenges and they are still in great shape.

If you search for it, there was an older thread, several years now, that was fairly in depth.

9cbf15b7253cb032e8885b06a5a01376.jpg
630b25a4ce4710740a612f3e8eed2418.jpg

Interested in this topic as well...has anyone used their training plan to prep for the season?

SWOHTR

WKR
No experience with them, just wondering if you’d want to do one now when season is so close? Specifically regarding injury risk.

OP
A

arnie

FNG
Follow up question, does your equipment get beat up during these? Specifically boots and pack.

I’d definitely be more comfortable but I’d hate to mess up my hunting gear, when I can just use some gold hiking stuff.

As far as injury risk, ships are safe in the harbor but that’s not what ships are for....

Thanks!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are using a goruck pack, I wouldn’t worry. If you are using a hunting type pack, I would. If you are using bricks tape them up well. If a lead plate not as much to worry about. Your shoes will be fine, wet and dirty, but they will be fine.

OP
A

arnie

FNG
I have 30 and 50 lb filler bags I put on the load carrier of my kifaru and they stay secure there. I’ve also used the 30# in an osprey bag just fine.

I think I’m more worried about bending the my kifaru frame, I’m gueasing that make you PT with it?

LitenFast

WKR
I did one in April a Goruck tough in Milwaukee. I had done quite a bit of research before hand and it was considerably harder than I was expecting. Quite a bit harder than helping out on a 10 day Brooks Range backpack sheep hunt last year.

Obviously I think it depends highly on the group you are with and who you have for a cadre. Our group was young probably average age of high 20’s and in great shape. I was probably the 3rd oldest out of 20 people.

I’m 32 and have worked out regularly for the past 3 years and feel like packing weight is one of my strong suits.

I was amazed at the pace. We were on the edge of running nearly the first 6 hrs before we picked up a few giant logs for the ride for a few miles. And that was with me having probably the longest stride in the group at 6’4”. We finished with 17 miles over the 11 hours despite all the pt and log/sandbag carrying.

My knees were crushed for almost two weeks after. My knees had zero issues packing camp and half a sheep 6 miles downhill for reference, I’ve never had any knee pain before and that concerned me.

To get to the point I wouldn’t do it within a month or even two personally of a big hunt.

As far as gear goes. Used Salomon shoes and was happy with those as I wouldn’t have wanted to do all the pt or ruck at that pace online my boots.

Used my Kifaru spike camp which worked great. My hunting frame with my emr 2 or cargo panel would have felt burdensome in all the pt

Overall I’m really glad I did it and glad it was as tough as it was as finishing it felt amazing, just was more than I was expecting going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texowa

FNG
I’m doing a tough in a few weeks, so I’ll let you know. I’ve been doing six week training plan and it’s an asskicker

KY Ryan

FNG
I did the Tough in St. Louis. After talking to others at the event, the difficulty can vary significantly from one event to another. We did one over Memorial day last year and it was pretty rough. I highly recommend recruiting several guys that are in good shape to do it with you. Picking up each other's slack is a major part of the race and a major factor in the difficulty of the event. Be prepared to do more than your share, that is part of it. Most people's feet were in pretty bad shape. Just don't do it too close to your hunt. It will test your mental toughness and that can pay big dividends if you're facing a tough hunt. Your pack-out after a successful hunt will feel light. I really enjoyed it and I need to get signed up for another.

And then look at the Peak Death Race (formally the Spartan Death Race.) Don't even think about doing it before a hunt.