Got Gas?

Hnthrdr

WKR
CA is doing the same.

plus they want all commercial landscape maintenance companies and Farmers to convert to electric equipment.

These politicians are clueless as to the cost involved and how much thiswill drive up Food costs and maintenance cost to consumers.
No I think they do realize it… because then when the costs go up, we will have another “crisis” that they can solve for us!

Elk97

WKR
Those municipalities were doing that anyway. Most only own these smaller pieces of equipment for a few years because that's the service life of small 2-stroke engines. Private citizens might jolly one along for a decade with careful maintenance but municipalities absolutely do not bother with that, which is why these come up on GovDeals and Municibid every month. They are doing this right now today and nobody is running around saying "but the taxes...."

There's a 4-pack of gas-powered spray misters up there now if anybody wants a spray mister. https://municibid.com/Listing/Details/62615334/4-SOLO-452-Spray-Misters-DSS3519 I see this literally every week or two, much more at the end of summer as they clean out their inventory. (Note the manufacturing date from one of the photos - they were only 4 years "old," which means they're being sold 3 years from when they were probably bought.)

If anything, this could end up saving money in the long run. These electric replacements are more expensive and the batteries cost even more. But after that their service lives are measured in decades - you only need to replace the battery every 2-3 years, which gets longer every year as battery tech gets better, and the batteries are cheaper than the gas-powered replacements they already buy today. What's more, they will no longer need to buy 2-stroke oil, spark plugs, air filters, etc. In the long run this will almost certainly save money.

Your taxes will go up because that's the nature of government and taxes. You will not be able to measure the difference THIS measure makes in what you pay.
Nah, gotta call BS. 2 stroke engines last a long, long time and are extremely reliable. You can't rewrite history to fit a narrative. I've had Stihl blowers, chainsaws, wackers, etc for decades and all have run almost forever. I still have an old Homelite saw that is over 50 years old and has cut countless cords of wood that runs perfectly and starts everytime. I've had these personally and in my former business. And those batteries you say have to be replaced every couple of years are expensive and really bad for the planet. The municipalities sell off equipment not because it's worn out but because if they don't spend their budget for new equipment they lose it. I built my business buying and using "worn out" municipal equipment, there is nothing efficient about how government agencies operate. They are going to sell off the more expensive electric replacements as often as they sell the gas ones, you are dreaming if you think they will keep a weed wacker for decades. It will just cost us more. And the pollution caused by these tiny little engines is negligible.

CorbLand

WKR
Nah, gotta call BS. 2 stroke engines last a long, long time and are extremely reliable. You can't rewrite history to fit a narrative. I've had Stihl blowers, chainsaws, wackers, etc for decades and all have run almost forever. I still have an old Homelite saw that is over 50 years old and has cut countless cords of wood that runs perfectly and starts everytime. I've had these personally and in my former business. And those batteries you say have to be replaced every couple of years are expensive and really bad for the planet. The municipalities sell off equipment not because it's worn out but because if they don't spend their budget for new equipment they lose it. I built my business buying and using "worn out" municipal equipment, there is nothing efficient about how government agencies operate. They are going to sell off the more expensive electric replacements as often as they sell the gas ones, you are dreaming if you think they will keep a weed wacker for decades. It will just cost us more. And the pollution caused by these tiny little engines is negligible.
Was going to post this same thing. I did that job for nearly a decade both private and state. The state replaces them for two reasons. 1. Its budgeted for and use or lose. I bought all sorts of stuff in the month of June. 2. Its cheaper to replace them than it is to pay a mechanic to fix them.

I have said for years that EV is the future, whether we like it or not. I am not anti it but it would make way more sense for this to be that you have to replace gas powered with electric by 2027 than it does to make it 3 months out of the year.

Grab your rake young man ! Alot of cities are coming after your gas powered leaf blowers as well .

UncleBone

WKR
I love how there is a commission of most likely un elected assholes. That make up policy that can effect me. This state feels more and more like communist China… the commission? And the public interest research group that I’m sure no one asked for and is probably handsomely paid out of my insane taxes
I think Im going to try and move to Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming in the next few years. Plus then I can complain about CO NR tags while repeaing the benefits of somehwere more favorable to residents.

How does it prevent them from replacing them all at once? If I have 10 gas powered ones and can’t use them from June to August, I have to go buy 10 electric ones to replace those for 3 months of the year…
No you just buy a 26hp zero turn and use it all year.

Can't wait for a 26hp blower and trimmer...

I think Im going to try and move to Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming in the next few years. Plus then I can complain about CO NR tags while repeaing the benefits of somehwere more favorable to residents.
ID is pretty much full and if you aren't loading a moving truck now WY and MT will be by the time you get there.

Hnthrdr

WKR
No. It's an escape hatch that stops the agencies from having to replace every string trimmer they own all at once. Those three months of the year are the months with the worst air quality - you can literally see the yellow haze over Denver now in the summer - it reminds me of LA in the 90s. The other months aren't so bad, so if an agency just needs to clear a front walk one last time before winter, it can use its gas equipment for that.

Seems slightly silly at first, but even the electric tools will have limited lifetimes so getting a little extra life out of their old gas equipment in the "shoulder season" will further reduce the overall cost-impact of the initiative.
Task… the brown haze is just from small lawn care equipment and not all the greenies that moved here in the last 15 years? I think all the global warmers should just walk everywhere and give up going to the mountains for the good of the planet!

CorbLand

WKR
Wyoming. You want to go to Wyoming.

IDVortex

WKR
Task… the brown haze is just from small lawn care equipment and not all the greenies that moved here in the last 15 years? I think all the global warmers should just walk everywhere and give up going to the mountains for the good of the planet!
I mean, you're not wrong about global warmers.

The US burns 22 million barrels of oil a day to provide ENERGY to power this country . Where does electricity come from ? There is no way that the grid is capable of providing enough service to what it is already doing to take over further electrical needs . The demand would be way to high over the supply from wind, and solar . Throw in getting rid of coal, gas and hydro . Minimal nuke use . The math just doesnt add up. People think you plug it in the outlet and it just magically shows up! By the way send a memo to china and india to clean it up.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Unless you're wealthy, don't move to ID or NW montana lol.
This applies to most of the west now… Co housing prices make your head spin… but I’m sure that is the case with Couer’dalane and boseman and the rest of it… but damn I spent some time at a friends vacation home on Lake Hayden? Or Hayden Lake… I could get used to that…

Hnthrdr

WKR
The US burns 22 million barrels of oil a day to provide ENERGY to power this country . Where does electricity come from ? There is no way that the grid is capable of providing enough service to what it is already doing to take over further electrical needs . The demand would be way to high over the supply from wind, and solar . Throw in getting rid of coal, gas and hydro . Minimal nuke use . The math just doesnt add up. People think you plug it in the outlet and it just magically shows up! By the way send a memo to china and india to clean it up.
Cue Corb Lund’s Getting down on the mountain…

SWOHTR

WKR
Grab your rake young man ! Alot of cities are coming after your gas powered leaf blowers as well .
This I do agree with, but it's because I'm sick of hearing the WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH of the engine. It really grinds my gears.

To be clear, I am very pro-petroleum. My issue with gas-powered leaf blowers is all the noise, noise, noise, noise.