Gotta Love CA

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
A recent convo with a forest service incident command captain told me this: Fires are burning all over the west, California gets all the media hype because the foothills are more populated and homes burn. But it’s still good for the environment non the less.

A recent convo with a forest service incident command captain told me this: Fires are burning all over the west, California gets all the media hype because the foothills are more populated and homes burn. But it’s still good for the environment non the less.

Depending on the fire, unfortunately...that is not always the case.

2rocky

WKR
After the last few years the OnX HISTORIC Wildfire layer doesn't make places stand out anymore...

The Weather patterns that started these are definitely the 100 year perfect storm of fire conditions.

It is my hope that this helped clean up the dead beetle kill thatch that was choking out so much of the forests.

My friends who have 10-15 years of fuel reduction burns and selective logging have a fire headed their direction. The fortunate thing is the local CAL FIRE Battalion chief, knows my friend's land so they can defend it well.

MattB

WKR
A bowhunter friend of mine's house very nearly burned to the ground last week, nearby neighbors lost everything. I can't tell you how disheartening it is to read that a fellow hunter would post that it would be for the best if that had happened. How did we get to a place where people think it OK to wish that on other hunters? Simply depraved.

OP
Justin_Tree

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
People are always looking for excuses.
Not looking for excuses... the reality is that all national forests in the southern half of the state are shut down. I will still get out and hunt. Thankfully I have a tag out of state as well.

this pretty much has ruined my season. I look forward to it all year so its a huge let down. On a positive note, my house is not in immediate danger and my family is healthy. Gonna be a lot of damn good hunting in 3 years though. A lot of what I call "garbage hunting spots" are going to be prime deer habitat again.

Azone

WKR
You won’t see threads about how great the hunting is in the burns in the coming years though.
Looking down at my coffee table hunting photo collage I see two dead bucks laying in burnt grass and oak leaves. Strange.
Yesterday’s morning hunt.View attachment 214107
I’m not happy about things getting closed down with the last two weeks of the season looming, but there is gonna be a lot of new country that was way too F’ed off to hunt that will be great for the next 5 to 7 years. Reluctantly it’s a trade off I can make peace with, eventually.
All we need is more morons setting shit on fire during gender reveal parties. With Fire fighters stretched thin, most of us knew this move was probably gonna be made.

I’m so glad I got out of California before The end of the summer. From everything I am hearing, things are going downhill much more steeply than just three weeks ago. I think some good things will come of it, though—a lot of the reasonable people in Cali are leaving the Democratic Party and the leftists are becoming more odious to the rest of the population. Plus, the hunting will be relatively good in a few years 🦌🏹🏔

Opah

WKR
This is sad, loss of homes, and forest, but it happen. most old growth forest are sick and hamper its ability to provide for the wildlife. There use to be a policy that if a fire was naturally caused and no homes would be endangered they let it burn its natural course. Now with all the population growing in and around the NF
it is almost impossible for this to happen.
The closure of all NFs (even the ones not in a fires path ) to all activities I feel is a bail out of responsibilities,
close them and forget them, saves them money and man hours.
Legal Archery hunting, hiking, fishing and many more activities with all the ignition source restrictions should not pose any significant fire risk. But as said it is simple to flick a Bic and shut every thing down no thought involved.