GPS collar and unit advice

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
All-

I am training the new pup (Dutch Shepherd) to be my scouting and one day hunting companion. This is not a traditional hunting dog, as I don't hunt birds.

I want a GPS collar in case he takes off. What do you suggest for my needs? I have a zoleo, so don't need one with inreach capability. Is there such a thing as a unit that pairs with the iphone that is trusted? Although its been years, I wasn't a fan of the maps resolution and detail on the handheld garmins.

My area has zero cell, all wilderness.

Thanks in advance-

Hoghead

WKR
The garmin alpha is good. I use it for pig hunting. The Birdseye maps are perty good. I have had a garmin since the first one came out. The alpha 200 is the latest model. It is user-friendly and has a good screen size.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

TSAMP

WKR
Dogtra makes what you're looking for. Pairs with phone. PATHFINDER is the model. I think there is a mini version as well.

I dont know that the garmin would be worth the extra $$ for what you need.

I should add I've had one of their beeper e collars for 6 years without any issue.

jags

FNG
I've been looking at the Dogtra Pathfinder 2, works through your phone and has a hand transmitter with one button that set from your phone can vibrate, tone or nick...but again you have to set if from on your phone settings. It also has some E fence options that I'm interested in, been trying to find anyone that has used this previously for some real world experience.

Supposed to work in no cell service areas also, wish the maps would integrate with OnX or Basemap.

sguida

FNG
I have the pathfinder2 and am very happy with it. Uses google maps, so resolution is great. IMO, a much better value if you don’t need all the functionality of the Garmins

eltaco

WKR
The garmin alpha is good. I use it for pig hunting. The Birdseye maps are perty good. I have had a garmin since the first one came out. The alpha 200 is the latest model. It is user-friendly and has a good screen size.

One correction - Garmin just released an Alpha 300 and TT20/25 collar this week. Solid system!

I’ve also been using the 200i and TT collars and absolutely love them. I actually use the handheld for my backpack hunting needs, and put the antenna back in the unit for bird season with my dog. The maps are pretty good, unit has inreach, and tough to beat all of the dog functionality.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have the newest alpha with the mini collar. It’s legit. Ridiculous. Not cheap, but worth it.

*zap*

WKR
Garmin has good csr service people who will help you out on the phone so you really understand the options.

sacklunch

WKR
Alpha 200 is money, but I'd never use a Garmin handheld map...but for keeping tabs on yoyr dog, the Garmin has a pretty easy compass rose type pointer with ft/yards and AZ to your dog, seems to only lag real time range by about 5 seconds.

Hoghead

WKR
One correction - Garmin just released an Alpha 300 and TT20/25 collar this week. Solid system!

I’ve also been using the 200i and TT collars and absolutely love them. I actually use the handheld for my backpack hunting needs, and put the antenna back in the unit for bird season with my dog. The maps are pretty good, unit has inreach, and tough to beat all of the dog functionality.

There goes my wallet lol.

the new garmin alpha 300 has a new map subscription. Not exactly sure how it works but I think it’s outdoor + and requires a yearly subscription for 50. Supposed to be better maps with a brighter screen.

jmez

WKR
For your needs look at the Garmin Alpha 10. It is a small receiver that doesn't have maps. You can pair it with your phone if you want maps. I use it on my bird dogs and love it. Simple to use, turn it and the collar on, it points to your dog and tells you how far they are. Can pair it with multiple collars. It is a tracking system, not a tracking system + navigation device. Significantly cheaper than the 100 and 200's.
$399 for the receiver, it doesn't come with the collar, pair it with a T5 and it will be $600.

Chase0109

FNG
I’ll toss my two cents in. I run 2 GWP‘s for upland birds and I use them for work in cherry orchards all summer. So I rely pretty heavily on my GPS collars. I use Garmin and really like them. But unlike a lot of previous posters, I absolutely hate their Alpha remotes, lol. I have the alpha 100 and only keep it as a back up in case of emergency. You couldn’t give me a 200 or 300. I much prefer, the pro 550 plus remote, immediate toggling between two dogs without having to look at a screen and push buttons. Shows directionality on the remote and again can jump between dogs instantaneously. I’ve paired mine with a Fenix 5 watch and absolutely love that combo.

I've got a scouting/hiking pup too. First dog, too.
I try to keep her within 50 yards in the woods and maybe 200 in the fields.

I'm also quite happy with the Garmin pro 550 plus handheld with a TT15X collar. Handheld display shows range and azimuth. Vibrate and lots of treats for "come back" and a 1 or 2 for "drop the rabbit." I can get a week of evening hikes from a charge.

Two One drawback for me: No illumination on the display or intensity control, and the delay on location is maybe up to 10 seconds (which is a lot if the pup picks up an outbound rabbit). Delay doesn't matter when she's in a field, but closer in the woods she can be 10 yards away and headed in when the GPS still says 40 yards. Some delay is unavoidable (integral to the technology) unless the GPS refresh and radio communication rates can be increased.

I don't in the least miss seeing her location on a map. I've got a separate GPS and flat phone for navigation.
If I get another dog, I'll just get another TT15X collar.
I could maybe want mapping if I had several hounds that ranged miles away.

Edited to say I found the back light for the display, it's a quick press on the power button.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Not sure if this has been mention, but regardless of which one you purchase, get one that has vibrate mode. I have found, once you start using it along with Edison medicine, every so often switch to vibrate. You will eventually get to the point that that is all you will need to use, except in certain situations.

pointer26

Lil-Rokslider
If i were you i would get an alpha 100 and a ttx15. Now that the alpha 300 has come out the 100 will price cheaper. The alpha 100 is a great unit and the ttx15 has a long battery life. I believe the dogtra pathfinder needs cell reception to work. If money is not a concern alpha 300 ttx15 or the new tt25.