GPSMAP 66i w/ InReach

Interesting, I was actually just about to make a post asking if anyone had heard about a new inreach release. Figured there was a new one coming since the mini and standard inreach have been on sale for a few weeks. Looks like everything I have been wanting all in one unit.

It is now on the Garmin website, appears we will be able to use onX chips as well. Battery is a rechargeable internal lithium ion. Litteraly everything I have been asking for in one unit since the release of original inreach.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just got off the phone with Garmin. We'll have a demo unit at our NW Mountain Challenge booth @ Tamarack Idaho June 21st - 23rd.

Just bought the inReach Explorer+ but I'll likely be returning it and getting this instead. Just like @ElkAddict26, this is exactly what I have been looking for.

Only downside I see is that it is 1oz heaver and has less battery life than the current Explorer+. On the plus side, in addition to the new features, it is physically smaller so it should fit in the hand better than the Explorer+.

Garmin GPSMAP 66i
Physical dimensions 2.6” x 6.4” x 1.4” (6.6 x 16.3 x 3.5 cm)
Display size 1.5"W x 2.5"H (3.8 x 6.3 cm); 3" diag (7.6 cm)
Display resolution 240 x 400 pixels
Display type transflective color TFT Weight 8.5 oz (241 g)
Battery rechargeable, internal lithium-ion
Battery life up to 35 hours at 10-minute tracking; up to 200 hours at 30-minute tracking (power save mode)

Garmin InReach Explorer+
Physical dimensions 2.7" x 6.5" x 1.5" (6.8 x 16.4 x 3.8 cm)
Display size 1.4"W x 1.9"H (3.5 x 4.7 cm); 2.31" diag (5.9 cm)
Display resolution 200 x 265 pixels
Display type transflective color TFT Weight 7.5 oz (213.0 g)
Battery Rechargeable internal lithium ion
Battery life Up to 100 hours at 10-minute tracking mode (default); up to 75 hours at 10-minute tracking with 1-second logging; up to 30 days at the 30-minute interval power save mode; and up to 3 years when powered off

Just got the email on this. It's close to my ideal.

Several guys I hunt with have rhinos and use the radios. If they put a radio in one, I'll sell my 64 and my mini to get this.

Any word on a new rhino with inreach?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

^^^ that would be sweet!

I’m interested in this... I’m already packing a gps and inreach... the Birdseye imagery would be awesome to have in it as well. My phone works til it doesn’t, a back up would be awesome. Plus looks like interface w/ instinct watch! I’m guessing rechargeable batteries?

EJMK

FNG
Is it confirmed that this new unit will accept the old style OnX chips? I don’t like OnX on my phone at all, so I’ve still been running a 64s for land ownership. I just bought an InReach for the communication and SOS feature. This new unit seems like it’s the ticket, just need to figure out how to get rid of the InReach now.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We're taking pre-sales right now, should be shipping around the 6th of July. If you want one sooner, you'll have to pay full price at REI.

https://sandsarchery.com/products/garmin-gps-map-66i

Thanks Rob. Just placed my order after I got your email new gear letter.

This is exactly what I have been looking for. Been using my old Rhino 520 HCX forever and was going to get a dedicated inreach unit. Glad I held out til I saw this. Instant buy for me!

Thanks for supporting the folks here at Rokslide.

Jake

the hack

WKR
Anyone have an updated first hand review on the 66? It seems like the earlier versions were plagued with glitches and poor battery life. Anyone been using one for backpack hunts? If so, what have they been getting for battery life? Thanks!

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
I work for a land management agency and a few of our field crew have been issued these so we can keep track of where everyone is and communicate with them while they're out. Battery life has been good so far, I think the longest a crew has been able to keep theirs going was a hair under 14 days. They kept the unit off at night and had it on 30-min tracking during the day, using it to set waypoints every now and then. Between 8 and 12 hours use on average I'd guess, all in high desert terrain temps never below 50F.

the hack

WKR
Hey thanks! Using mine in the Badlands right now. Been pleased with the GPS and InReach thus far.