Grand Design Imagine Series Trailers opinions

I need to upsize our current travel trailer to fit my growing family and I’ve been pouring over the options and have narrowed it down to the Grand Design Imagine 2400BH.

Must haves:
Half ton towable (not ready to go up to a 3/4 yet)

Well insulated for late season hunting & spring camping

Quality components and well built….I am not interested in buying junk on a budget

Will see a lot of State parks/camp grounds in the summer but lots of gravel and wash board roads too

Double bunks for kids + friends (and adults/hunting buddies)

Closed off master for privacy when others are with us

Outdoor kitchen

I’d really like a Nash 24B or an outdoors Rv 23DBS but that’s going to push me to a 3/4 ton and I don’t want to do that right now, or maybe ever.

I’m assuming some Roksliders own some Grand Design products…how do you feel about the insulation for cold weather? How has the build quality held up for you? If anyone has a 2400BH and tows it with a half ton id love to hear how it feels over mountain passes and steep/windy conditions.

Looking forward to the feedback from hunters and folks who might’ve a little harder on gear than the avg flat land RV’er.

Thanks!

Ive got an imagine 23BHE and my family loves it.
Its been a great camper, and I'm very glad I didn't buy some of the other brands.

No major issues to speak of in the 2.5years I've had it.

My opinion of all is campers is they are junk and poorly built regardless of make. Some are much better than others though.

I pull mine with a f150 2.7ecoboost with max tow package. Most of the pulling is rolling hills to the beach but we do pull it to the mountains once a year. It does okay but I'd prefer a 3/4ton there, it's hard to justify one for one trip a year though.

Last edited:
OP
B
Ive got an imagine 23BHE and my family loves it.
Its been a great camper, and I'm very glad I didn't buy some of the other brands.

No major issues to speak of in the 2.5years I've had it.

My opinion of all is campers is they are junk and poorly built regardless of make. Some are much better than others though.

I pull mine with a f150 2.7ecoboost with max tow package. Most of the pulling is rolling hills to the beach but we do pull it to the mountains once a year. It does okay but I'd prefer a 3/4ton there, it's hard to justify one for one trip a year though.
Thank you. I actually walked through the 23BHE in the imagine XLS, very similar (if not 99% the exact same insides) as the imagine 2400BH.

I have the 3.5 ecoboost with the max tow goodies, not sure how the two trucks would compare, but your thinking is like mine where 8/10 times the pulling is 2-3 hours from home and then 1 long trip a year is exactly why I’m hesitant to get stuck in a 3/4 ton.

Thank you. I actually walked through the 23BHE in the imagine XLS, very similar (if not 99% the exact same insides) as the imagine 2400BH.

I have the 3.5 ecoboost with the max tow goodies, not sure how the two trucks would compare, but your thinking is like mine where 8/10 times the pulling is 2-3 hours from home and then 1 long trip a year is exactly why I’m hesitant to get stuck in a 3/4 ton.
Yours will be much more comfortable I'm sure of it. Mine is fine for the majority of what I do, and fine for the long trip but no doubt would be better with more motor.

Payload capacity is what kills 1/2ton towing, your going to exceed payload way before towing capacity. Be sure and look at each trailers tounge weight and figure up what all youll have in the bed/cab. That's why I settled on the XLS vs regular imagine.

OP
B
Yours will be much more comfortable I'm sure of it. Mine is fine for the majority of what I do, and fine for the long trip but no doubt would be better with more motor.

Payload capacity is what kills 1/2ton towing, your going to exceed payload way before towing capacity. Be sure and look at each trailers tounge weight and figure up what all youll have in the bed/cab. That's why I settled on the XLS vs regular imagine.
Good to know. Do you ever get any overheating issues on long mountain pass pulls? That seems to be the nemesis on the eco boosts where they get hot, but I do have an extra cooler of some sorts in my Max Tow package which I am thinking will help.

My F150 model has 1,725 payload, GD quotes 505 on the tongue, but 10% of GVWR is 785lbs fully loaded. So I think with 900-1k payload I feel a lot more comfortable. The heavier trailers with 10k GVWR trailers like the Nash or Outdoors RV would max me out pretty quick.

Good to know. Do you ever get any overheating issues on long mountain pass pulls? That seems to be the nemesis on the eco boosts where they get hot, but I do have an extra cooler of some sorts in my Max Tow package which I am thinking will help.

My F150 model has 1,725 payload, GD quotes 505 on the tongue, but 10% of GVWR is 785lbs fully loaded. So I think with 900-1k payload I feel a lot more comfortable. The heavier trailers with 10k GVWR trailers like the Nash or Outdoors RV would max me out pretty quick.
Yeah for sure try and stay on the lower end of the payload. It gets hot on the big passes on occasion. Ive got a transcooler as well and it cools off very very fast though. I try and just turn off the AC and dump heat.

The 2.7 pulls just fine but I'd be much more comfortable with your setup. The 3.5s are beast.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Arctic Fox 25R, empty weight is 6600 and dry hitch weight of about 725. It's a true four season camper and I've had in some pretty cold temps with no issues. While I tow it with a 2500 Ram diesel, I have seen a few being towed with the ford f150's. So this is another option to look at for you, and I have taken mine into some pretty rough spots and for now it's been a pretty solid unit with minimal repairs, mostly the darn screws holding the cabinet hinges, but like I said minor issues.

ToolMann

WKR
Another lightish option is Lance. We love ours. Have camped down to minus 1 degrees hunting. I tow with a 2500 diesel but used to tow it with my 1500. We don't have the bunk model but I'm positive they make one. My next will be a truck camper or Fox Mountain (Nash) fifth wheel though. Not willing to tow doubles with the bumper pull and hate leaving the boat at home.

visage

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2400BH and love it. I tow it with a 2010 LX570 (think short wheel base Tundra). I'm not winning any races but live in the High Country of Colorado and have to go over mountain passes virtually any direction I take it. The 5.7 has no issues there (even with the disadvantage of the bigger tires) Mine came with the equil-i-zer tow hitch and I can't emphasize how important this type of system is with a half ton. I have been very impressed given the short wheel base that I'm able to feel confident at high speeds with cross winds/meeting semis one two lanes. It is the only camper that I've owned so I can't speak to quality vs others but overall I have been please. We haven't had many issues and it seems to be the perfect setup IMO for up to 3ish guys hunting or my family of 4. The bunks are tight for adults but plenty long enough and my 6'-2"/250# cousin made it work last year. Most times we take it out I'm reminded of how much I enjoy the size as it is plenty comfortable but still allows us to get into spots many other campers wouldn't be able to given the length.

At the end of the day I think most campers have relatively cheesey build quality when it comes to finishes as such as they try to keep things as light as possible. I would expect that most have similar R values and heater sizes. I know the ductwork is such that it is supposed to do better than some to keep lines from freezzing. When comparing to other campers this one seemed to be a little nicer in that respect and have more generous tank sizes that many we looked at.

We will be using this in North Park for 2nd season rifle this year which will be the coldest wet usage it will have seen (up to this point we have only used it wet down to 25ish degrees) - I'm interested to see how it does and what temps we see. Obviously for colder weather use you can always use it dry to avoid any issues. My buddy used it dry for a January rifle hunt where it got much colder and they were very cozy.

OP
B
I have a 2400BH and love it. I tow it with a 2010 LX570 (think short wheel base Tundra). I'm not winning any races but live in the High Country of Colorado and have to go over mountain passes virtually any direction I take it. The 5.7 has no issues there (even with the disadvantage of the bigger tires) Mine came with the equil-i-zer tow hitch and I can't emphasize how important this type of system is with a half ton. I have been very impressed given the short wheel base that I'm able to feel confident at high speeds with cross winds/meeting semis one two lanes. It is the only camper that I've owned so I can't speak to quality vs others but overall I have been please. We haven't had many issues and it seems to be the perfect setup IMO for up to 3ish guys hunting or my family of 4. The bunks are tight for adults but plenty long enough and my 6'-2"/250# cousin made it work last year. Most times we take it out I'm reminded of how much I enjoy the size as it is plenty comfortable but still allows us to get into spots many other campers wouldn't be able to given the length.

At the end of the day I think most campers have relatively cheesey build quality when it comes to finishes as such as they try to keep things as light as possible. I would expect that most have similar R values and heater sizes. I know the ductwork is such that it is supposed to do better than some to keep lines from freezzing. When comparing to other campers this one seemed to be a little nicer in that respect and have more generous tank sizes that many we looked at.

We will be using this in North Park for 2nd season rifle this year which will be the coldest wet usage it will have seen (up to this point we have only used it wet down to 25ish degrees) - I'm interested to see how it does and what temps we see. Obviously for colder weather use you can always use it dry to avoid any issues. My buddy used it dry for a January rifle hunt where it got much colder and they were very cozy.
Great, thanks for the feedback, and great to know you’re driving the same places I would be. Sounds like real world I’d be more than just fine.

And yes the Imagine checks a lot of boxes with the insulation package, and the enclosed underbelly for the tanks. I only go dry once we hit late Oct - and for sure anything in Nov just to be careful. I’ll run water jugs in the camper and use the black/grey tanks, just get worried about the lines.

Good luck 2nd season! Again, thanks for taking the time to post!

OP
B
I have an Arctic Fox 25R, empty weight is 6600 and dry hitch weight of about 725. It's a true four season camper and I've had in some pretty cold temps with no issues. While I tow it with a 2500 Ram diesel, I have seen a few being towed with the ford f150's. So this is another option to look at for you, and I have taken mine into some pretty rough spots and for now it's been a pretty solid unit with minimal repairs, mostly the darn screws holding the cabinet hinges, but like I said minor issues.
Yeah I’ve looked at all the true 4 season models but everything points to the tail wagging the dog on a 1/2 ton. There’s a couple nice used Nash trailers out there right now (made by north woods who makes your arctic fox) I just would hate to buy a trailer and then be forced to get a new truck or forced to go to a diesel…that’s my concern on those.

Those arctic fox’s are nice though! I bet you have a great rig!

OP
B
Another lightish option is Lance. We love ours. Have camped down to minus 1 degrees hunting. I tow with a 2500 diesel but used to tow it with my 1500. We don't have the bunk model but I'm positive they make one. My next will be a truck camper or Fox Mountain (Nash) fifth wheel though. Not willing to tow doubles with the bumper pull and hate leaving the boat at home.
I have looked at Lance and I know they are up there when you are talking about the Northwoods or Outdoors RV type true 4 season models. I can’t remember why I wrote the lances off, it was either weight or floor plans. But I’ll go back and look at them again. Thank you for the reply!

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
We have an older 2016 Grand Design 2800BH (first model year) and its been great, but we did move to a 3/4 ton duramax to pull it (along with a bigger horse trailer). We used a F150 before with the 5.0. It was fine, but had its white knuckle moments, esp when being passed by larger trucks on the interstate. We mainly stayed in the plains states, so not many hills. The duramax is just a heavier vehicle and heavier in the front, so it just rides better. Plus it just chugs along at 65-68mph and does its job. No shifting and looking for the next gas stop.

Based on my experience in the Facebook groups, even Grand Design puts out a lemon or two. They promote their super duper inspection process, but some of the stuff posted online is odd - missing this or that, water lines or drains that leak, etc. Definitely do a shakedown couple nights close to the dealer as possible and find that stuff early. Its like everything though, only negative reviews get put online. Several friends have newer Grand Design models and love them.

If your thinking half ton, look at the Grand Design 150 series bunkhouse, . it will tow so much better.

The mattresses in the bunks suck. Our kiddo doubles them up when no friends are along. The RV queen in the "master" also sucks, so plan on getting a new one of those or a decent topper for it as well. The couch can only sleep people under 5' 4" without their feet hanging off the end. The dinette is useless as a bed, seriously, don't even try it unless its for a child or your hunting dog.

Some things to think of (as mentioned) -
Tongue weight in brochures is rarely right, you should try to weigh the tongue weight at the dealer to be sure you're not going to hit your max payload number. Brochures estimate and generally are low.

Max payload on your truck is not the limit you want to hit, try to stay well below, esp if you want to haul water, stuff, and people. Everything you put in your truck goes against that number, not just the trailer - people, stuff in the bed, the hitch, dogs, etc.

Yes, your F150 is rated to tow x lbs, but the other components - brakes especially - may be undersized relative to the trailer weight. watch for break fade if going up and over passes.

Yes, your F150 is rated to tow x lbs, but the other components - brakes especially - may be undersized relative to the trailer weight. watch for break fade if going up and over passes.
I looked into this on my 1/2 ton. For a 2019+ Ram 1500, it actually has larger brake rotors than a F250/350 (14.9" vs 14.29").

Tow ratings nowadays are SAE rated, so if the manufacturer says you can tow x lbs, then you can tow AND stop x lbs without worry. It will definitely not be the best to tow at max ratings, but the truck will physically do it safely.

The biggest drawback to a 1/2 ton is payload - and hitch rating. Again, for the Ram 1500, the hitch is only rated to 1,250lbs.

Tow ratings nowadays are SAE rated, so if the manufacturer says you can tow x lbs, then you can tow AND stop x lbs without worry. It will definitely not be the best to tow at max ratings, but the truck will physically do it safely.

Not exactly true. Tow ratings also now include things like maximum frontal area. Towing 10k lbs of bricks on a lowboy trailer with tandem brakes is completely different than a 12’ high, 30’ long parachute of an RV.

Don’t listen to the salesman when he says your half ton will tow anything up to XX lbs.

OP
B
We have an older 2016 Grand Design 2800BH (first model year) and its been great, but we did move to a 3/4 ton duramax to pull it (along with a bigger horse trailer). We used a F150 before with the 5.0. It was fine, but had its white knuckle moments, esp when being passed by larger trucks on the interstate. We mainly stayed in the plains states, so not many hills. The duramax is just a heavier vehicle and heavier in the front, so it just rides better. Plus it just chugs along at 65-68mph and does its job. No shifting and looking for the next gas stop.

Based on my experience in the Facebook groups, even Grand Design puts out a lemon or two. They promote their super duper inspection process, but some of the stuff posted online is odd - missing this or that, water lines or drains that leak, etc. Definitely do a shakedown couple nights close to the dealer as possible and find that stuff early. Its like everything though, only negative reviews get put online. Several friends have newer Grand Design models and love them.

If your thinking half ton, look at the Grand Design 150 series bunkhouse, . it will tow so much better.

The mattresses in the bunks suck. Our kiddo doubles them up when no friends are along. The RV queen in the "master" also sucks, so plan on getting a new one of those or a decent topper for it as well. The couch can only sleep people under 5' 4" without their feet hanging off the end. The dinette is useless as a bed, seriously, don't even try it unless its for a child or your hunting dog.

Some things to think of (as mentioned) -
Tongue weight in brochures is rarely right, you should try to weigh the tongue weight at the dealer to be sure you're not going to hit your max payload number. Brochures estimate and generally are low.

Max payload on your truck is not the limit you want to hit, try to stay well below, esp if you want to haul water, stuff, and people. Everything you put in your truck goes against that number, not just the trailer - people, stuff in the bed, the hitch, dogs, etc.

Awesome, thank you for the post. Seems to be the norm where people go from a 1/2 ton to the bigger truck. I am sure I will someday, but just love the lighter 1/2 ton for off-road, deep snow, and daily driving...it feels like giving up a lot from a guy who's never owned a 3/4...not to mention the nowadays $75k+ price tag! Ouch.

Already ahead of you on the mattress, I would plan on ordering the moment we signed. Our current trailer has a nice residential one and was one of the first things we did. Good to know on the bunks, I think they are curved so getting a new one of those is probably more difficult. My kids are 7 and 4, so they can suffer a bit longer...

Loud and clear on the payload, thats what sent me to this Grand Design trailer vs some of the 4 seasons with 9.5-10k GVWR. With my 1725 payload and maxing out the GCWV of this trailer fully loaded that still leaves me ~1k pounds. So I feel comfortable with that and still keep the ability to toss a few chars and fire wood in the back. Or the generator, and still not be over or maxed.

Not exactly true. Tow ratings also now include things like maximum frontal area. Towing 10k lbs of bricks on a lowboy trailer with tandem brakes is completely different than a 12’ high, 30’ long parachute of an RV.

Don’t listen to the salesman when he says your half ton will tow anything up to XX lbs.
Definitely don't listen to the salesman, but take a look at your truck's specific SAE J2807 ratings. The spec does list out specific trailer dimensions, so agreed, anything non-standard will affect the ratings.

Fatcamp

WKR
Man, the stuff we see people pulling down I-90 with half ton trucks blows my mind. Following them through construction at 50mph because they can't keep it straight in the wind is enough to push me over the edge. LOL

Not an imagine but we have a momentum 21g. Towed with a 1 ton and it's an awesome trailer. Went to British Columbia and back this summer. Had it out last fall in 11 degree weather.