Grand pa’s old mount, what to do with it?

Funny! I think about what my descendants will do with my mounts when I’m gone...
I’m down to thinking if they mean anything to them, I will be proud! If not, I hope they will be smart enough get a good price on eBay!

steeleb3

FNG
My dad gifted me my grand dad’s only mounted deer. Killed back in 1979. I remember how proud he was of this mount. Thing is, it’s in tough shape.
I have a taxidermist that can make it into a skull mount. What would you guys do? I really have no room for it as is.
If you simply don't have the space to keep the mount, then I would say modify to something that you would use, and enjoy. A euro mount would be a great option.

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
Make it into what is most practical for you. You’ve already said you don’t have room for a shoulder mount. I like the rattling horns idea.

WKR
If they have enough mass, a guy can contract with a custom knife maker to have a hunting knife that will get used a lot. Made a few of those for my kids out of my first ever bull elk rack. And eliminates storage issues.

Why not just do a vintage velvet wrapped antler mount? It would seem fitting for the era it was killed in, and you could easily do it yourself.
Vintage???? All the bucks i’ve ever killed have been done this way including last years. There isn’t anything vintage about this way it’s simple, easy to do it yourself, and makes a great display.

Maverick1

WKR
My dad gifted me my grand dad’s only mounted deer. Killed back in 1979. I remember how proud he was of this mount. Thing is, it’s in tough shape.
I have a taxidermist that can make it into a skull mount. What would you guys do? I really have no room for it as is.
So, any decision made yet? Gonna mount it to the front grill of the pickup truck or something?!?!

Lytro

WKR
Vintage???? All the bucks i’ve ever killed have been done this way including last years. There isn’t anything vintage about this way it’s simple, easy to do it yourself, and makes a great display.
You may still do it, but it's pretty old timey. Lol

I don't think there's anything wrong with that though.

twofer

FNG
RE the skull mount option - are you sure there is a skull in there and not just a plastic form?

Geewhiz

WKR
If you dont want it chuck it. Its of no value to anyone and for you to keep it out of guilt seams silly.

You may still do it, but it's pretty old timey. Lol

I don't think there's anything wrong with that though.
All of us do it actually, always have. I think i have one friend with one mount that he did like 20 years ago.

Lucky too as there is no way i could have 24 mounts around the house and i hope to hunt at least another 30 years!

Lytro

WKR
All of us do it actually, always have. I think i have one friend with one mount that he did like 20 years ago.

Lucky too as there is no way i could have 24 mounts around the house and i hope to hunt at least another 30 years!
I hear ya there. I have 3 shoulder mounted whitetails, but won't do any more because I move too much and they also take up too much space. I've been doing my own euros the past 5 years and have around 30 of those scattered around the house and garage between deer, elk, and pronghorn. I've considered just starting to cut skull plates off instead, but some day I'll have a big heated shop I'll hang everything in.

Laramie

WKR
I would go a different route- find a local business that wouldn't mind displaying it. Take it to a taxidermist for a little repair but don't change the vintage look. It is cool to me so I'm sure it meant something to your grandpa. I know of 3 or 4 businesses close to me that would gladly do it.

DanimalW

WKR
My vote is to hang it up in your favorite dive bar. It will get admired by more people there. And you can tell drunks the story behind it.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
My dad recently asked if I wanted one of my grandpa’s mounts. I said no.

If my kids throw away any of my mounts, antlers, skulls, or hides I’d only be mad if they didn’t cut the antlers off first to sell by the pound.

Not even mad, just disappointed.

I've got a similar whitetail shoulder mount that I would be tickled pink to see my grandkids rattle with. Just knowing they are enjoying the same outdoor activities as me and they are still available to them is a win.