Grandfathers Coin Collection?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What if they are only worth $100 in total value?
This is the case for the majority of people who end up with collections. and even then, finding places to buy/sell can be tough. I don't look often but I dont remember seeing any coin/card collecting shops in the past 10 years, there used to be lots of them back in the 1990s but they seem to be less popular now.

Ive got binders full of old baseball cards that you'd think would be valuable but aren't worth more than a few bucks IF I could find somebody who wanted them or pay ebay/shipping fees.

Those TV shows like pawn starts make people think they have something valuable but the valuable stuff is truly rare, thats why theres a TV show about it. If you really don't want the collection, find a place to donate it to or sell it for a quick buck but its likely not going to buy you a guided hunting trip.

You could probably search up some of the stuff you have on ebay and see what its sold for, I had a Bo Jackson card I was sure was valuable...its worth 6 bucks.

SWOHTR

WKR
I have several as well I seem to cart around, all they do is take up weight on my biannual moving weight allowance.

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
Lost my collection when the hurricane came in FL years back. I had a very huge and cool collection.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The sets before 1965 with silver coins are likely actually silver, the ones after are likely copper-nickel clad. So 1960 thru 1965 have pure silver value. Price of silver is around $22 pure oz. Dimes , quarters, half dollars and dollar were all silver prior to 1965. Bottom line you don't have a fortune there. Get them appraised and go from there. Any coin shop will tell you their value. I would just hold on to them. My wife got me an uncut set of 16, $2 Jefferson dollar bills, 30 years ago, today they are worth, $32. :)

TxxAgg

WKR
Those are pretty cool, but personally I'm not real sentimental about "stuff". I'd offload them and put the money towards my kids' college.

SWOHTR

WKR
The sets before 1965 with silver coins are likely actually silver, the ones after are likely copper-nickel clad. So 1960 thru 1965 have pure silver value. Price of silver is around $22 pure oz. Dimes , quarters, half dollars and dollar were all silver prior to 1965. Bottom line you don't have a fortune there. Get them appraised and go from there. Any coin shop will tell you their value. I would just hold on to them. My wife got me an uncut set of 16, $2 Jefferson dollar bills, 30 years ago, today they are worth, $32. :)
I figure the worst case is, they’ll be worth a minimum of face value!