Greasing rifles for storage

ForkLift

FNG
Read a thread about someone asking about storage bags for rifles. I have two really nice rifles my dad gave me, blued with wood stocks. Probably wont use them for a minute and Im curious to know peoples thoughts about covering the metal in a light coating of grease and greasing the inside of the barrel. I plan on put them in sealed plastic bags after greasing. Also, thoughts on those gun socks with the anti-rust coating on them for short term storage (between use)? Thanks.

Your best bet for long-term storage would be a spray-on furniture wax - it's what museums use.

Grease would work, but you'll also have to remove it before using. Also, do not grease the bore of your rifle, unless you plan to be extremely diligent about getting every single bit out before shooting. Unlike oils, grease won't dry out, and your bullet will be like a supersonic squeegee pushing grease down a bore until it turns into a physical occlusion. Risks a ka-boom.

A combination of a spray-on furniture wax with a thick gun-sock would be a great combo, as the gun socks are great at preventing dings in the gun safe, and you could essentially just pull the sock off and the gun's ready to shoot, no cleaning needed.

Wapiti1

WKR
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! That will absolutely mess up the stock finish and leave you with stained areas anywhere it can soak in. And no plastic bags that are not VCI. I've restored, fixed, and refinished a lot of arms that were stored with a good dose of oil or grease. Getting oil out of wood is a process, and it's really hard to bring it back to it's former glory.

This is what you want: https://www.zerustproducts.com/products/firearms-ammo-weapons/vci-gun-storage-bags/

Pull the actions, coat with a good automotive car wax, buff off, repeat. Wax the stocks with furniture wax and buff. Reassemble and place in the VCI bags. Then put in socks, bubble wrap or whatever outer protection you want.

You do not want any liquid, grease, or semi-liquid that can soak into the wood.

Jeremy

BigDog00

WKR
I've heard of renaissance wax being used. I've got no experience with it but will likely get some for the safe queens that generally don't see the light of day.

SDHNTR

WKR
I live on a peninsula surrounded by saltwater and salty air. I know all about gun rust. I just oil all my guns externally and inside the bore thoroughly. I also store in silicon impregnated gun socks and put them in the safe muzzle down. No issues. I also dig em all out and be sure to re-oil every year or so. Grease hardens with age. What you want is a good synthetic oil.

Last edited:
OP
F

ForkLift

FNG
Thanks for all the input. I order some of those Zerust VCI bags along with a can of that renaissance wax.