Great look for us real hunters....

def90

WKR
So basically word got out that the herd was in a field on public land and all of the locals showed up.

100 hunters, only 6 of them were considered to have done anything that could be ticketed for.

Either way, doesn't sound like the kind of hunt I am looking for.

Last edited:

Geewhiz

WKR
My neighbor whitnessed the same kind of ordeal south of Dillon over the weekend. People shooting from the frontage road in plain sight of the interstate.

Don't want to start rumors without facts first but this kind of thing sickens me.

Opah

WKR
I agree not my type of Hunt, But 50 were legally harvested, only 2 confiscated and 1 wanted waste.
Now 100 hunters well shooters lets say, a herd of cow elk, shooting from both sides and only 53 were killed.
I would bet they will be finding a whole shit load of gut shot and wounded elk in the weeks to come.
I just can't believe that 93 of the 100 were legal ?
sounds like the peaceful protest that are going on all around the country, burn, break steel, rob, assault and kill but it is all legal and peace protest

Geewhiz

WKR
I agree not my type of Hunt, But 50 were legally harvested, only 2 confiscated and 1 wanted waste.
Now 100 hunters well shooters lets say, a herd of cow elk, shooting from both sides and only 53 were killed.
I would bet they will be finding a whole shit load of gut shot and wounded elk in the weeks to come.
I just can't believe that 93 of the 100 were legal ?
sounds like the peaceful protest that are going on all around the country, burn, break steel, rob, assault and kill but it is all legal and peace protest

Well just because its legal doesn't necessarily mean its ethical. Seams like the officer eludes to that in the article.

Either way its bad press for the hunting community.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
personally, i hope the rancher decides to take his land out of the BMA program for next year

11boo

WKR
Seems the elk got a bit of payback.

Meagher County Undersheriff Jerami West said one of the people in the group died from a heart complication that was unrelated to the hunt. The person's name has not yet been released.

def90

WKR
I think this happens a bit in some places. I remember listening to an episode of the meateater podcast and one of the regular guys on there commented on going out in to a field of gut piles where one of these herd shoots happened and harvested all of the hearts and livers and other stuff people left behind.

Rich M

WKR
It all depends on why you hunt. Many do it to prove something and make it as tough as possible.

Those guys evidently wanted the meat and most were totally legal about it. Probably real happy it was so easy and easy pack out.

You got nothing to whine about.
Hunt your way and let them hunt theirs. If they lose their right to hunt, whatchoo think will happen to your rights?

3forks

WKR
I‘ve personally seen this happen more than once.

Unfortunately, it’s a reoccurring and common event outside of Townsend, White Sulphur, and Dillon.

One of the more depressing sights I‘ve seen is a herd of elk pinned down on a small piece of private ground with Canyon Ferry reservoir on one side, and two pieces of state land on each side of the private ground the elk are stranded on. On the roads, you have numerous pick ups lined up with guys waiting for the elk to step off onto the state land.

I have seen elk that have been shot at and run so hard across the checkerboard state and private ground that the herd will have their tongues hanging out by the time they finally get to a piece of ground they aren’t being shot at. Animals limping trying to keep up with the running herd, gut shot animals, calves tangled in fence. I’ve seen a small bunch of elk panicked and trotting around in a circle on a piece of private not knowing where to go. It’s a disgusting scene. *Yes, we and others called FWP and the Sheriff to report this.

I’ll tell you this, seeing that kind of shit is enough to make you want start shooting at the guys flock shooting the elk.

FWP needs to close hunting in the areas where this occurs. I‘m not talking about the unit per se, but the area within the unit where the mountains meet the flats and where these assholes can surround the herds and slaughter them.

Last edited:

3forks

WKR
It all depends on why you hunt. Many do it to prove something and make it as tough as possible.

Those guys evidently wanted the meat and most were totally legal about it. Probably real happy it was so easy and easy pack out.

Hunt your way and let them hunt theirs. If they lose their right to hunt, whatchoo think will happen to your rights?
If you’ve ever seen this kind of thing happen in person, you wouldn’t call it hunting.

Also, if you have kids and they saw what I just described in the post after yours, I guarantee you couldn’t use that bullshit opinion you just expressed to explain what happened to those elk.

Definitely happened near Dillon last year when I was out there. People surrounding herds and flock shooting with no regard to what’s on the back side. The next day we watched a jeep chase down a herd with guns a blazing flock shooting out the windows. Was kind of surreal..

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR

Legal? Maybe. Ethical? I suppose thats up to you to decide if flock shooting and wounding animals is ethical. If someone doesnt have a problem with that theres something wrong,

Opah

WKR
Guess it is where you are and what the animals are doing
Texas 30 / 40 pigs shot and left to rot, because they are like rats.
Some states the deer are so populated they are also considered to be a nuisance and are killed in masses.
Could these Elk be in the same category,?
I am a meat hunter and all of this is seems just a horrible waste, but then again I am not in their boots.
I am not defending any of this, but if it is legal who am I to cast a dark shadow on it. I chose to not participate, But how many of us would turn down free elk meat from one of these events if it was offered ?
Sad but true I would take the meat.

Very disappointed to hear that people don’t have more respect for the elk. I have never seen anything like this and hope I never do.

def90

WKR
Guess it is where you are and what the animals are doing
Texas 30 / 40 pigs shot and left to rot, because they are like rats.
Some states the deer are so populated they are also considered to be a nuisance and are killed in masses.
Could these Elk be in the same category,?
I am a meat hunter and all of this is seems just a horrible waste, but then again I am not in their boots.
I am not defending any of this, but if it is legal who am I to cast a dark shadow on it. I chose to not participate, But how many of us would turn down free elk meat from one of these events if it was offered ?
Sad but true I would take the meat.

I don’t think there is a population of elk anywhere in the country that could be compared to wild pigs in Texas or over populated white tails in suburban New Jersey or Wisconsin.