Grizz encounter near Wolf Creek, MT

5 shots....and the one did the trick.

I wish they gave us more about these incidents; What caliber? What ammo? How many hits? Where was the shot that stopped the bear?

Its easy to practice the most critical element in handgun shooting; Aiming

So many different ways to dry fire practice....then there is laser bullets, target systems, etc.

We have heard it a thousand times from these Navy Seals trainers and top military guys; its your training you fall back on in these fight or flight scenarios.

If you don’t mind sharing I would like to hear a bit more about your story.
Look up Mike Adams Grizzly Bear Attack on Youtube. A guy put out a fairly accurate video of it a month or so ago. I didn't even know he did it; a buddy sent it to me. Hint: my shots were at a distance of inches, when he discusses whether the bear was hit.

Look up Mike Adams Grizzly Bear Attack on Youtube. A guy put out a fairly accurate video of it a month or so ago. I didn't even know he did it; a buddy sent it to me. Hint: my shots were at a distance of inches, when he discusses whether the bear was hit.
From the story, it sent chills down my back. Glad I wasn't you. Hopefully I'm not in that position. But then again, my wife might get a house for a change with my life insurance.

Had a blackie charge with 3 cubs a few years back. Been packing for decades and glad I had something that day. It happens suppper fast and can only imagine when it is a griz. Have some form of protection when you go out🤙

Had a blackie charge with 3 cubs a few years back. Been packing for decades and glad I had something that day. It happens suppper fast and can only imagine when it is a griz. Have some form of protection when you go out🤙
Curious, did she stop her charge short or did you have to stop her?

From what i've read Blackies are even more likely to stop short than Griz, who will
also often stop short ( unless you stumble right onto them)

Wow what an experience. Is this still under investigation or have you been cleared?

I watched the video now, and understand you were not charged. Thankfully.
Five shots with a 44 and they don't think you hit her? What kind of ammo do you use?

Sorry if you don't want to answer, Don't. I live in the Idaho panhandle and grizzlies are getting a lot more common. I've been carrying a 45 Super with 250gr hardcast.

Legal.....not legal....? What`s the saying ? " Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 " ? Of course, in the case of a grizzly attack, how many does it take to carry a garbage bag?

My group was told by a local in MT last year that if you get attacked by a grizz that you should make sure to shoot to kill. He said if they think there is any indication you were just trying to wound it that you were not in danger.

Anyone got anything to back that theory up?
The jargon recommendation within the legal system is usually “Shoot to stop the threat”.

I got to say, hunting in grizzly country, especially when sows have cubs in tow, takes more quinones than I`ve ever possessed! Just my own opinion, but that strikes me as plain dangerous. Ain`t nothing out there I`ve ever wanted to shoot that bad! And to do it with just a bow and arrow and maybe a pistol? Woof! More power to you, guys!

Living and hunting in nw MT griz are always a possibility to encounter, theyre my biggest concern as far as predators. Thankfully I have not had to deal with one yet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I watched the video now, and understand you were not charged. Thankfully.
Five shots with a 44 and they don't think you hit her? What kind of ammo do you use?

Sorry if you don't want to answer, Don't. I live in the Idaho panhandle and grizzlies are getting a lot more common. I've been carrying a 45 Super with 250gr hardcast.
There was bear hair on my front sight. In the interest of full disclosure, I jammed the gun into her side and just started pulling the trigger, so there was no aiming involved. I think it was a "no body, no crime" situation.

IDFG took a DNA sample from my chewed up glove and reportedly tracked it back to a collared sow. She was still alive as of 2 summers ago. I received a picture from them of the supposed bear and her cubs feeding on a road killed moose the spring after my incident. I was using 240 grain hardcast bullets, I believe Hornady XTP.

Back