Grizzly Encounter / Shots Fired near Big Sky

I saw all the emergency vehicles flying north yesterday and that was my worry. Hoping a quick recovery is in order for the guy

ianpadron

WKR
This year has been particularly bad, hoping enough folks are fed up and we have a season sooner than later.

At this point you can make a strong argument that the judges in Missoula who continue to block hunting them have blood on their hands.

Guys that don't live here can't comprehend how many grizz there are...

Here's a typical day looking for black bears in NW Montana...

Prayers to the injured hunters.
20230510_202932.jpg

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
This year has been particularly bad, hoping enough folks are fed up and we have a season sooner than later.

At this point you can make a strong argument that the judges in Missoula who continue to block hunting them have blood on their hands.

Guys that don't live here can't comprehend how many grizz there are...

Here's a typical day looking for black bears in NW Montana...

Prayers to the injured hunters.
View attachment 600335
Where at in NW Montana....??

I live 30 min north of CDA in Idaho and it seems like Unit 4 just east of my house is having more and more sightings. Of course plenty of'em up North around Bonners Ferry.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
Crazy day. We were in the adjourning basin on Friday. We shot a bull that morning, as we were waiting our time on the ridge we heard the gunshots, about 30 minutes later we spotted two 250 lb cubs pop over the ridge and run down into our basin.
As the day progressed we saw the S&R vehicles come in and then the heli's buzzing around. From the reports they had to "haze" the bear off with another heli before the first could land.
As we were packing out that evening the same cubs were standing in an open meadow, clearly confused about what they should be doing.
We still unaware that an attack happened, arrived to the trailhead that night with sheriff/police tape blocking off the trailhead.
Report from a family member https://www.gofundme.com/f/rudy-noorlander-bear-attack-survivor

Fowl Play

WKR
tragic, and I wish the hunter a speedy recovery!

My personally opinion, these bears need a reminder who the apex predator is, and if I lived in an area with grizzlies I would be reminding them of that during the offseason. You don't have to kill or even seriously injure an animal to teach them this. Just start having them associate bad experiences with human presence... a little effort and they will run from the area at the first scent of a human.

I might have to start thinking about how I would explain my reasoning for hiking with a paintball gun or a shotgun loaded with rock salt during the off season though.... :ROFLMAO: But honestly I'd bet good money , a paintball "hunting season" for grizzlies would greatly reduce the number of bear attacks long term. Even though it would be slightly ridiculous.

Edit: No I don’t think anyone should actually be hunting gbears with paintball guns, this is “campfire talk”.

Last edited:
FWP shot and killed a 10 year old sow that broke into a house south of West Yellowstone last week too. DNA tests found that of the hiker lady that was mauled/ killed last month in the same location. There are going to be alot more conflicts this fall. Keep your pistols ready.

ianpadron

WKR
Crazy day. We were in the adjourning basin on Friday. We shot a bull that morning, as we were waiting our time on the ridge we heard the gunshots, about 30 minutes later we spotted two 250 lb cubs pop over the ridge and run down into our basin.
As the day progressed we saw the S&R vehicles come in and then the heli's buzzing around. From the reports they had to "haze" the bear off with another heli before the first could land.
As we were packing out that evening the same cubs were standing in an open meadow, clearly confused about what they should be doing.
We still unaware that an attack happened, arrived to the trailhead that night with sheriff/police tape blocking off the trailhead.
Report from a family member https://www.gofundme.com/f/rurudy-noorlander-bear-attack-survivor
Man that had to be eery

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Damn, pistol misfired. My worst nightmares every time is when I need to pull the trigger and the gun is broke.

I’ll be in that area all week hunting above tree line for a different critter. Both pistol and spray on the chest rig.

Thoughts and prayers with the gentleman. Definitely seems like a year of bears gone wild. Unfortunately the people that legislate the critters spend more time at cocktail parties and Starbucks than the woods.

Side note. If you carry a pistol around for protection don't forget those immediate action drills. Lots of people like to punch paper but few are proficient at running a pistol when it hiccups. At the least, tap, rack reasses. Then progress to double feeds in the dark. May save your hide someday.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Hid daughter is reporting he is in bad shape, but her and Dr. are hopeful. He has a lot of injuries, not the least of which is, he lost his lower jaw. Crap....