Grizzly Encounter / Shots Fired near Big Sky

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
?…guys from Florida and Kansas saying that since they hunt the rockies may e ten days a year means they spend a lot of time in bear country…laughable.
Never said that! BTW, how do you know how much time I spend in AK, WY and MT???

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
?…guys from Florida and Kansas saying that since they hunt the rockies may e ten days a year means they spend a lot of time in bear country…laughable.

Up here, bears hit hunting camps, cars, dumpsters, smokehouses, dry cabins, chicken coops, eat up snow machine seats, everything. Populated by people or out in tne bush. All are hunted. But they still do what they do. The Kenai Peninsula is very densely populated. We are allowed one bear per year by permit. This past june, a guy got hit. Here in anchorage, they pretty much raise hell. Even hunted, they aren’t scared of you. They just get smarter or sneakier or extremely aggressive. Its one thing for you flat footed flat landers to think its no sweat while you hunt. But you guys don’t have to pack a light and a pistol to go to the outhouse at night all year long.
You don't have to live in Chicago to know that it's not a good idea to take a walk on the southside of town after midnight on a Saturday!

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
I posted something about this kind of topic a few years ago because the national news was running stories about great white sharks being seen off popular east coast beaches, and of course the stories coincided with traditional holiday beach weekends.

People recreate and live their lives around grizzly bears every day and you hear nothing from the media about it. If someone is attacked by a shark, the chances of it making the national news and being sensationalized is way higher than someone who gets attled by a bear.

Look at the behavior of people in Yellowstone… they’ll actually get out of their car to get closer to a bear (or arguably just as dangerous an animal like a bison, black bear, moose, elk, etc) to get a better pic, but I’ve never seen anyone go charging into the water when someone yells “shark” or sees one.
Funny you mention the shark thing, I live on the far northern coast of Komifornia and and the best couple of fishing spots around here are somewhat thick with Great White sharks. There are lots of seals and sea lions for them to feed on. What do the collage kids do when they come here ? smoke dope and get into surfing. They dress up like a seal (wetsuit) and paddle around like their wounded ! Every year a few surf boards get chomped and the kids ( If lucky) get hauled to the hospital to get sewn up. Even better is the new sport of offshore kayak fishing. Nothing like getting strapped into your 12' kayak, paddle out a 1/4 mile, FISH ON!, then tie it to a stringer hanging overboard. Next thing they know a shadow that's twice as long as the kayak circling around and then chomp the kayak and the fish. No thanks.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Funny you mention the shark thing, I live on the far northern coast of Komifornia and and the best couple of fishing spots around here are somewhat thick with Great White sharks. There are lots of seals and sea lions for them to feed on. What do the collage kids do when they come here ? smoke dope and get into surfing. They dress up like a seal (wetsuit) and paddle around like their wounded ! Every year a few surf boards get chomped and the kids ( If lucky) get hauled to the hospital to get sewn up. Even better is the new sport of offshore kayak fishing. Nothing like getting strapped into your 12' kayak, paddle out a 1/4 mile, FISH ON!, then tie it to a stringer hanging overboard. Next thing they know a shadow that's twice as long as the kayak circling around and then chomp the kayak and the fish. No thanks.
Yep, that's nuts! I've dove all of my life in FL and we have most Bull sharks which are common and some Tigers which I've seen from the boat but thankfully not while in the water. I feel safer offshore in the water as I believe the sharks can see who/what you are and mostly leave us alone but they are quite common at the artificial reef sites.

I was in CA not too long ago swimming in a cove and I watched divers swim from the beach to spearfish, no thanks, I'm not brave enough for that business!

Odds of being in a car wreck, 1/366 crashes for every 1000 miles driven. Odds of being mauled by a bear, 1 in 2.1 million.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
Nobody that uses stats like this actually hunts in grizzly woods. I hate when people give statistics about oh this and that look at the percentages. When im hunting for elk in sw mt where i hunt those stats dont make a lick of a difference to me. Im paying attention to everything around me the entire time. Its such a weak argument.
9e24fb7d84c98c9bf4ef9ccecec38d31.jpg
ae9fc3fe9da9baa1aeaf82efc1191238.jpg

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
You don't have to live in Chicago to know that it's not a good idea to take a walk on the southside of town after midnight on a Saturday!

Ahhhhh...if you're from Chicago you definitely know there's really NO good time to be on the south side, far south side, near west side etc. Especially on any day once the sun starts to go down. 🙂

Hnthrdr

WKR
We have wolves where I'm at and you literally never see them. They decimate the game population but the encounters with humans is literally less than lions.
For sure, but unless you have experienced Co recreation, it will blow your mind, people usually with dogs everywhere, even in the most remote wilderness, there is no where secret and no stone un turned in this state anymore. Plus I’m sure tree huggers will seek them out to commune with them or something. Won’t be for a while but with no check on the packs, they will become prolific

Reactions: OMF

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
For sure, but unless you have experienced Co recreation, it will blow your mind, people usually with dogs everywhere, even in the most remote wilderness, there is no where secret and no stone un turned in this state anymore. Plus I’m sure tree huggers will seek them out to commune with them or something. Won’t be for a while but with no check on the packs, they will become prolific
Yea I didn't really think about that. Where I'm at is pretty desolate. They run into loggers every so often and I ran into one once coming from a 4h barn during calving season. Wouldn't be to terrible if they ate tree huggers but I'm positive they taste like shit.