Ground Attack or never take off your harness

Sapcut

WKR
In Nov of '21 last season....
I was bowhunting in my XOP hand climber stand. As usual, I had my harness on while hunting and just took it off to climb down tree. After sitting on the upper hand attachment for about two hours I put weight of my upper body on it to move to foot portion of the stand. That is when the square tubing of the upper portion exploded.

I went straight backwards to the ground and rolled back onto my knees. After getting my breath back in me I quickly mentally assessed the damage waiting to feel serious pain of which bones had to have been broken....as I prayed over and over with utmost sincerity....Jesus please don't let anything be broken....please don't let anything be broken.

No pain at all. I stood up feeling some discomfort in my pelvic area, gathered my bow and beanie I found in the brush and walked about 500 yards back to my truck, Drove 45 minutes back home, went to ER and got CT scans from head to knees. Scans show nothing broken, punctured or damaged. I later felt like I had pulled a lower oblique muscle. That was all I can say was the damage. A stinkin miracle I tell you! Best I can measure, from where my back was to where it hit the ground was about 18 feet. Lower platform about 15 feet from ground.

Few side notes.....about three feet from where I landed, there were two 1" diameter stobs from privet hedge that had been mowed about a foot high. They would've left a mark and probably a body. I also hunt alone and was a mile behind a locked gate.

A week later I walked my only daughter down the isle. Just one very divinely fortunate dude.

A few days later I began my Ground Attack. Had the best season ever bowhunting from the ground. And will continue to do so.

16D8EF1A-5506-42ED-9D97-1CA98EECBC1B.png

4CB090E0-3A65-411C-ACC6-B0BE90531F52.png

0B50C6E8-D8AF-48B4-8C29-ECBFD1450BEC.png

4D8CC78A-7E6F-47FD-A7D7-1A59E1F59A25.png

Last edited:

bonehed67

FNG
Glad you are ok! When I hunt elevated, I am Always attached to the tree even in a climber. My tree rope is girth hitched around the tree and I advance it up the tree when ascending and bring it down with me as I come down.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

NB7

WKR
Wow, super lucky. That's scary stuff. I literally jut posted about an almost similar experience just a few days ago. Fortunately for me I didn't have the same ordeal you had. Glad to hear you're ok.

OP
Sapcut

Sapcut

WKR
Pretty crazy. Glad you are ok. What did XOP say about the failure?
After I informed them of the stand failure they immediately said they would like to analyze the stand more closely and send me a box and return label.

I told them that I’ve decided to sell the stand and they are welcome to buy it but not giving it to them.

No doubt I should’ve never unattached my safety harness for very personal reasons. I didn’t have a harness attached nor did I have a safety net under me nor did I have a pit of foam balls under me, among other things to protect me from the earth.

Regardless if I had fallen two feet and caught by the harness or fallen 18 feet to the earth… the stand broke. And broke where it isn’t supposed to break.
They bought the stand back.

Last edited:
OP
Sapcut

Sapcut

WKR
Sometimes it takes a day...how ya feeling now?
I feel great. I would say 98% of what I once was only because I couldn’t run well for a few months afraid to tear lower oblique muscle again. but have started running again some and playing baseball in an 18 yr and older wood bat league I’ve been playing in the last 19 years. Be 55 next month. Absolutely convinced that eating largely high protein wild meat, eggs, etc. has been very important.

Last edited:

Bergara

FNG
In Nov of '21 last season....
I was bowhunting in my XOP hand climber stand. As usual, I had my harness on while hunting and just took it off to climb down tree. After sitting on the upper hand attachment for about two hours I put weight of my upper body on it to move to foot portion of the stand. That is when the square tubing of the upper portion exploded.

I went straight backwards to the ground and rolled back onto my knees. After getting my breath back in me I quickly mentally assessed the damage waiting to feel serious pain of which bones had to have been broken....as I prayed over and over with utmost sincerity....Jesus please don't let anything be broken....please don't let anything be broken.

No pain at all. I stood up feeling some discomfort in my pelvic area, gathered my bow and beanie I found in the brush and walked about 500 yards back to my truck, Drove 45 minutes back home, went to ER and got CT scans from head to knees. Scans show nothing broken, punctured or damaged. I later felt like I had pulled a lower oblique muscle. That was all I can say was the damage. A stinkin miracle I tell you! Best I can measure, from where my back was to where it hit the ground was about 18 feet. Lower platform about 15 feet from ground.

Few side notes.....about three feet from where I landed, there were two 1" diameter stobs from privet hedge that had been mowed about a foot high. They would've left a mark and probably a body. I also hunt alone and was a mile behind a locked gate.

A week later I walked my only daughter down the isle. Just one very divinely fortunate dude.

A few days later I began my Ground Attack. Had the best season ever bowhunting from the ground. And will continue to do so.

View attachment 453596

View attachment 453591

View attachment 453593

View attachment 453595

Glad to hear you are okay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sapcut

Sapcut

WKR
I may sell out my elevated gear this season....
I realize the chances are not good that one would fall from their stand for whatever reason but I wouldn’t wish the awful feeling the moment it broke on anyone. It wasn’t fun.

Probably fair to say most falls result in major injury if not death.

*zap*

WKR
I hunt mobile and setting/carrying the stuff is a lot of work and always setting/taking down increases the risk...pre sets and lines on them all is another story. jmo.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Yep, the only way I'd hunt elevated would be from an already
set up ladder stand.
But I do hate the initial installation, downright scary.

OP
Sapcut

Sapcut

WKR
I hunt mobile and setting/carrying the stuff is a lot of work and always setting/taking down increases the risk...pre sets and lines on them all is another story. jmo.
I certainly like not carrying a stand and/or sticks anywhere. Can walk holding my bow under arm without hitting the steel contraptions on my back and don’t have stand to catch on limbs, etc.

Now I carry a back pack with small tripod for iPhone videoing and “kill kit” to quarter and pack out meat no matter how far a bucks daytime living area may be. No more dragging animals out. Cut off the groceries and bring home the bacon.

AFDFEDDF-B934-4656-88B2-56B026BD778F.png

WCB

WKR
I do both on the ground and in a stand. Stuff happens unfortunately. Always a reason for awareness but we drive vehicles to and from places everyday and don't avoid it for the slim chance of a life altering accident. I will say the last type of stand I want to hunt from is a climber. I have done so maybe a dozen times and they just seem like an accident waiting to happen. just my opinion.

Bergara

FNG
Yep, the only way I'd hunt elevated would be from an already
set up ladder stand.
But I do hate the initial installation, downright scary.

If you run your ratchet straps (2) all the way out, hook them to the chair, and then set the stand against the tree, (if your ratchet straps are long enough) you can cross them across the rear of the tree trunk and attach them back onto your ladder about 4 feet off the ground. If you don’t like it and would rather directly choke the tree up top, this allows you to at least stabilize the stand so you’re not climbing up without it hooked to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
I never thought about it when I was younger, and I was half monkey back then.
I dont bounce or heal nearly as well as I did 40 years ago.