Grouse - Dusky vs Sharp-tailed in Colorado

So thought about exercising my small game license since Colorado makes you purchase it to apply for tags. Really want to get some Grouse but I'm a little worried about misidentifying a Sharp-tailed as a Dusky. The Dusky is legal in my unit, 7, whereas the Sharp-tailed is not. Any pointers on ID, and anybody know if the Sharp-tailed are even in that area?

It's mainly the hens that I'm worried about.

Attachments

• Dusky-hen.jpg
    Dusky-hen.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 70
  • sharptailed-hen.jpg
    sharptailed-hen.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 68

Rob5589

WKR
Once you see a few of each, you'll know the difference. Check the Colorado F&G site for distribution info. Or just shoot the big blue males. Bring some seasoning, they are delicious!

Not very likely you'll see them in the same habitat. I've only seen duskys high in the spruce and aspen. I've only seen sharptails lower in the sage. Good luck.

Dusky grouse summer low around the sage/aspen margin where there are more bugs for their chicks to eat. Then, they migrate uphill and winter high surviving on spruce needles and such.

I don't believe that there are sharptails in the unit 7. I do believe that the Colorado sharptails are out west of Steamboat.

There is a population distribution map in the small game regulations. Edit: the maps do not show sharptails, but the units are mostly in the Steamboat-Craig area.

Last edited:
Dusky grouse summer low around the sage/aspen margin where there are more bugs for their chicks to eat. Then, they migrate uphill and winter high surviving on spruce needles and such.

I don't believe that there are sharptails in the unit 7. I do believe that the Colorado sharptails are out west of Steamboat.

There is a population distribution map in the small game regulations. Edit: the maps do not show sharptails, but the units are mostly in the Steamboat-Craig area.
I was hunting in the sage west of Steamboat 2 years ago in October, and had a pair of sharptails fly across a small valley and land in the mature sage about 8 feet in front of me. Then I enjoyed watching them wander around and feed for about 10 minutes. Man was that fun.

OP
ScreamingPotato
I'm in the same boat as you, but I vote we just get together and practice by hunting. I'm going to scout up near Parshall here shortly. Been looking hard for them. I'm down for all the bird hunting!

That area isn't closed out due to the fire is it? I know they had Hwy 14 closed but not sure exactly where you'll be. I'll be pretty far North of there up close to the Wyoming line it's looking like. I'd planned to be down around the borders of Elk units 7/8 and 19 but it's looking best for me to avoid those areas for a while due to the fire.

The tail will tell the tale and I've seen tons of Duskys in the sagebrush throughout Colorado. Dusky Grouse tail fans are similar in shape to a turkey fan, with dark feathers and a lighter gray band across the tips. Sharptails have a light colored pointy tail fan.

OP
ScreamingPotato
Want to hunt next week?
Oh I always WANT to hunt.
Heading up to Cheyenne on the 5th and be there through end of September. I plan to start hitting the CO hunting units shortly after getting up there in the afternoons after work, definitely the following weekend.

DEd

FNG
Lotta good tips on here alright about duskys vs sharpies. I hunt duskys here in Utah, and yes early in the season they can be down low in the sagecountry, but typically they hang out on steeper slopes with Oak, Spruce, and Pine. In Utah sharpies can really only be reliably be found up near the Idaho border west of I-15. Sharpies are more of a prairie bird, while duskys are a forest grouse.

OXN939

WKR
Necromancing this one to test out my amature ornithology skills here... this dude is a dusky, correct?

Screenshot_20230825_210353_Gallery.jpg

Secondly. At 10K and above in Gunnison basin mid September, you'd be unlikely to find sharptails. Right? Thanks for any input!

OP
ScreamingPotato
Necromancing this one to test out my amature ornithology skills here... this dude is a dusky, correct?

View attachment 593674

Secondly. At 10K and above in Gunnison basin mid September, you'd be unlikely to find sharptails. Right? Thanks for any input!
Yep. Once I went out and shot a Sharptail (on purpose) I saw how different they are.

bradyhunt

FNG
They live in completely different habitat. Sharptails are in more open prairie. Duskys are in the aspens and evergreens.

A dusky flush sounds more like a turkey lifting off. Sharptails are a lot smaller and faster and live in completely different habitats