Gun Bearer Vs Sling Carry options???

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Been trying to figure out a carry solution for my Ruger M77. There seem to be a lot of good options out there.

I’m down to: FHF sling, Mystery Ranch, and Kifaru (have a Stryker xl).

Hoping ya’ll can share your experiences so I stop wasting money with trial and error.
Thank you.
Respectfully,
-Adam

Last edited:

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at the slik sling? Still quick release, but isn’t under your arm like the gun bearer

After years of sling hunting I need to quit messing around and get the Kifaru one for my 44 Mag.

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
I've read only bad reviews of the Mystery Ranch gunbearer unfortunately as I have a MR pack. Anyone know if the Kifaru one can adapt to Molle webbing on the MR packs with the Kifaru-specific version, or if one needs to order the universal gunbearer to adapt to MR? Thanks.

Ram94

WKR
I've read only bad reviews of the Mystery Ranch gunbearer unfortunately as I have a MR pack. Anyone know if the Kifaru one can adapt to Molle webbing on the MR packs with the Kifaru-specific version, or if one needs to order the universal gunbearer to adapt to MR? Thanks.
The molle webbing attachment works on the MR molle as well. I had been using one on a MR Metcalf for a few years and it worked great.

I use an S-caribiner to attach the universal gun bearer to the two-inch webbing on my exo belt. I'm not sure about molle webbing, but I imagine that it would work.

Seeknelk

WKR
exo gunbearer/rifle carrier works pretty darn well for what it's worth
I have the Slik Sling and used it all last fall. After using the kifaru gunbearer for over 15 years I can say I much prefer the Slik Sling.
Using it with and exo 5500. Works wonderful. Muzzle stays in a safer place than the gunbearer when climbing steep stuff with partners also.
Yes , you can easily put the gun back in place with pack on.

I prefer a gun bearer setup but like the option to carry when I am not wearing my pack. I find myself using both.

ljalberta

WKR
I’ve tried a number of options, but nothing beats the Kifaru Gunbearer for my uses. The quick access and ability to slip it back in without removing your pack is excellent. I’ve never had an issue with the gun or barrel being in my way either, although I’ve heard some people don’t like how the barrel is forward facing.

Been trying to figure out a carry solution for my Ruger M77. There seem to be a lot of good options out there.

Hoping ya’ll can share your experiences so I stop wasting money with trial and error.
Thank you.
Respectfully,
-Adam

Thank you.
Respectfully,
-Adam
I really like my Kifaru gun bearer on my Duplex Lite frame for either my Ruger M77 or my muzzleloader. The rifle IS always at the ready, and is very reliable and stays attached, even in oak brush busting country. Just need to be mindful that the barrel is in front of your face, and hangs loose, potentially allowing the barrel the bump the user in the face in case of a trip, slip, etc.

OP
B

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your thoughts. I tried the FHF sling. While it is high quality and I love the sling pad, it did not fit the bill.

To my surprise the slik sling has been the best thing I have ever used.

I was able to try the kifaru, the rifle barrel being out front just did work well for me scaling boulders and side hilling in shale.