Gun Bearer Vs Sling Carry options???

Echo

FNG
One more for the kifaru gun bearer. It’s cheap, easy to add to your pack, and places the gun in an easily accessible spot.

One downside I ran into last year - while packing out my bull (the rack was over my shoulders) the damn gun barrel kept donking me in the head. I chalk this up to my own set up.

The Kifaru Gunbearer works for a bow with quiver attached too, although the latest ones have too short of a top strap to get the bow angled forward enough for me. Kifaru sent a longer piece of matching webbing at my request though. They are great for long guns.

westco24

FNG
I recommend gunbearer, especially the older nylon web version. Ended up just using cord and some holes to adjust height. Also started using a sea to summit 12" stretch loc strap to hold rifle on shoulder strap. I think it's easier to put rifle on, especially with gloves on. The elastic cord and cord lock is handy to fold up the gunbearer when you're not using it.

Attachments

• 20230313_111614.jpg
    20230313_111614.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230313_112233.jpg
    20230313_112233.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 26

Rockchuck

WKR
I have been a big fan of the kifaru gun bearer for years, but picked up the exo rifle sling recently. I didn't think much of it initally, but really like it now paired up with a gunbearer upper strap. I think it helps that the weight of the rifle is on the lower pack frame/bag vs the belt. The exo has nice stretch to it and my mesa precision stock fits well, though my mcmilliam game warden is larger and is a tough fit.

Last edited:

Montucky

WKR
I have been a big fan of the kifaru gun bearer for years, but picked up tye exo rifle sling recently. I didn't think much of it initally, but really like it now paired up witg a gunbearer upper strap. I think it helps that the weight of the rifle is on the lower pack frame vs the belt. The exo has nice stretch to it and my mesa precision stock fits well, though my mcmilliam game warden is larger and is a tough fit.
you like it better than Kifaru GB because it distributes weight better….? I’m gonna go on exos website & check it out….

Rockchuck

WKR
you like it better than Kifaru GB because it distributes weight better….? I’m gonna go on exos website & check it out….
I like how it attaches to the side of the pack instead of the belt. Exo has a video showing how it attaches. After harvesting, i just adjusted the strap length of the bucket and ran the rifle straight up along side the pack with the upper pack strap like they suggest to do, but prefer the quicker access of upper gunbearer while actively hunting. Turned out pretty versatile.

Last edited:

PRC

FNG
Another vote for slik sling and you won’t be sorry. Very easy and quick release without removal of your pack.

Last year I used to slik sling and I really liked it for the type of things I was doing, very rocky climbing where I needed both hands. It is not perfect and I intend to try a couple more things, but it is pretty secure and easy to get at quickly. Cons were it wasn’t super easy to get rigged back up and it pressed against my shoulder when cinched down tight. All and all not that hard to put together, but I had to take my rifle out almost every time I sat down.

Montucky

WKR
I like how it attaches to the pack instead od the belt. Exo has a video showing how it attaches. After harvesting, i just adjusted the strap length and ran the rifle straight up with the upper pack strap like they suggest to do, but prefer the quicker access of upper gunbearer while acrively hunting. Turned out pretty versatile.
Do you have the k3 attachment….?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I put a QC cup on the right side of the butt about 1.5 inches below the comb and 1.5 inches forward of the recoil pad. Put another one on the left side of the forend. Use a Rifle Craft RS3 sling and carry it across my chest.

I have a universal gun bear in a box somewhere. With a short barrel I find my head occasionally ends up over the bore and that if in the back going up a steep hill I constantly flag my partner.

Randle

WKR
Thanks, Are you wearing the rifle sling under your pack then just quick disconnect rifle when ready to shoot?

rclouse79

WKR
I have been a big fan of the kifaru gun bearer for years, but picked up tye exo rifle sling recently. I didn't think much of it initally, but really like it now paired up witg a gunbearer upper strap. I think it helps that the weight of the rifle is on the lower pack frame vs the belt. The exo has nice stretch to it and my mesa precision stock fits well, though my mcmilliam game warden is larger and is a tough fit.
Nice! I was thinking of either trying this, or modifying my original kifaru lower by sewing a single 1 inch strap to tie into the Nalgene mollee spot. I think this sounds like the better option, glad to hear it works well.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks, Are you wearing the rifle sling under your pack then just quick disconnect rifle when ready to shoot?
Over the pack (it is the last thing I put on). The sling has a ladder lock buckle with a pull on it, so I can loosen it enough to be able to shoot quickly. I'll take some pictures after work.

Randle

WKR
Cool Thanks we use a safari sling in our family and it is good with some packs but not others. I like the front cross body with the safari because it works with bino harness if adjusted right. But its not always 100% Handsfree

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Cool Thanks we use a safari sling in our family and it is good with some packs but not others. I like the front cross body with the safari because it works with bino harness if adjusted right. But its not always 100% Handsfree
The sling in these pictures is a light weight and somewhat modified version of the RS3 that I made.

Pulling the Paracord braid loosens the sling.20230315_203654.jpg
This takes it to loose enough to shoulder.20230315_203848.jpg
Pulling the webbing tab tightens it back up.20230315_203742.jpg

With a pack, the load lifters cause the sling to ride up on the neck rather that on the shoulder. This is a little annoying.

With the sling pulled tight I can cross country ski and don't need to touch the rifle to keep it steady.

The sling also has the added advantage of being a shooting aid.

For me, a bino harness is not an issue. 20230315_205054.jpg
That includes if I hang the peashooter from the bino harness.20230315_210029.jpg

Last edited:

Randle

WKR
Cool , looks like a great option.
Thanks for taking the time and pictures