Gun/caliber for wife's cow elk hunt

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
So I'm hopefully taking my wife on a cow elk hunt this year and I'm having trouble deciding on a gun and what cartridge to go with. Only rifle I have is the 3006 Remington 700 which honestly just doesn't shoot well so I'm looking for an excuse to get a good rifle that she can use on this cow elk hunt but will be my go to for deer and getting into a little long range stuff (400-600 yrds max).
The rifles that I've been looking into are the Bergara B14 wilderness Ridge, the Weatherby vanguard, Ruger American predator and obviously Tikka (but to get it with a threaded barrel it's a little out of my price range). I think I'd be happy with any of these but I'm open to other options.

As far as caliber, that's where I'm really stuck, I want it to be my go to gun that's capable on deer up to 600ish, but not too much for my wife to handle on cow elk (but not pushing past 400). 280 AI and 6.5PRC really have caught my eye, they just seem so efficient and well balanced with FPS/energy/recoil. Buttt the ammo is ridiculously expensive and hard to find. Not to mention no one makes 280 AI rifles at a reasonable price. So I'm thinking something more like 270 win or 7mm-08. Favoring the 270 cause of ammo availability.

Am I over thinking this and should I just pull the trigger on the 270?

johnsd16

WKR
All good options and capable out to 600yds for deer and also elk with good shot placement. If you don’t reload you’re right to look ammo availability this year as a factor. The 6.5 prc is not doing well for availability or selection. You could also have some work done to the 30-06 (new trigger, bed stock, muzzle break) and meet the goals. The 7-08 checks a lot of boxes and should be available in rifles you’re looking at. Ammo is definitely more available than 6.5 prc.

With commercial ammo, I’d pass on the 7mm-08. Most commercial offerings will be hitting 1800 fps around your 600 yard goal (not taking into account rifle specifics and environmentals). Hand-loads give you significantly more options.

While the 6.5 CM is oft maligned, especially on this site, there’s a lot better commercial ammo that will meet your provided requirements.

Has your wife shot your 30-06? If so, what’d did she say about the recoil and did it impact her ability to shoot? If it’s a non-issue then take a look at the 7mm RM as recoil should be comparable to the 30-06.

270 Win is a solid choice.

For rifles, shoulder as many as you can and eliminate those that don’t work for you.

Laramie

WKR
Unless you and your wife have the same lop, she would likely benefit by purchasing a gun that fits her specifically. My wife shoots a youth model 7-08 and loves it. All in with scope her gun in under 1k. She has taken everything from antelope to elk with it.

Consider 7mm-08. So long as you aren’t planning to take elk at 600 yds. It’s pretty soft shooting, inherently accurate, good for elk to probably 400 yds and deer to probably 600 yds. Tikka makes rifles in this chambering. The attached pics are 7mm-08 with a 150 gr Swift Scirocco 2 at 2,660 fps. At 9,000’ (typical elk elevation) with a 200 yd zero her MPBR would be 250 yds and 400 yd drop is 23”.

Attachments

• 62620743-5C65-4B3E-969B-D0DC95CE2424.png
    62620743-5C65-4B3E-969B-D0DC95CE2424.png
    243.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 0F37FC03-6228-4ADB-90CA-B3E6C5700A36.png
    0F37FC03-6228-4ADB-90CA-B3E6C5700A36.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 7553BC5B-944A-4A99-829F-005649F2DC5A.png
    7553BC5B-944A-4A99-829F-005649F2DC5A.png
    229.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 7CEC4BB4-4112-401B-A538-B61E5B670D7E.png
    7CEC4BB4-4112-401B-A538-B61E5B670D7E.png
    859.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Marble

WKR
If you're wife plans on hunting more, get her something that she likes, is not heavy on recoil and fits.

For my wife, she choose the Weatherby Camilla. It's built to fit a woman. It has a high comb for their shorter necks and a curve butt stock that centers the rifle a little bit and works around their boobs. And they are nice looking rifles.

If you go with a magnum of some type, consider a muzzle brake. Some women don't mind, some do.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
6.5 creed is what I would get. Plenty for cow elk and deer. Has the most choices for good match ammo to shoot long range. You can shoot high BC bullets in the 135 to 147 grain which match or beat the 7-08 ballistically. Use the Hornady 143 or 147 if you want heavier bullets.

I would shoot a cow with a 6 creed having seen performance of Berger VLD on animals.

OP
L

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
With commercial ammo, I’d pass on the 7mm-08. Most commercial offerings will be hitting 1800 fps around your 600 yard goal (not taking into account rifle specifics and environmentals). Hand-loads give you significantly more options.

While the 6.5 CM is oft maligned, especially on this site, there’s a lot better commercial ammo that will meet your provided requirements.

Has your wife shot your 30-06? If so, what’d did she say about the recoil and did it impact her ability to shoot? If it’s a non-issue then take a look at the 7mm RM as recoil should be comparable to the 30-06.

270 Win is a solid choice.

For rifles, shoulder as many as you can and eliminate those that don’t work for you.
Yeah I've definitely given the 7 rem mag some thought. It seems a little heavy on the recoil but we'd plan on having a muzzle break and one day suppressor. She's shot the 30-06 before and it wasn't too bad for her so it's an option for sure. Just probably wouldn't use it for my whitetail hunting in LA where it's all under 100 yards.

OP
L

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
If the 3006 doesnt shoot that well pull the barrel and order a prefit remage barrel chambered in 280 ackley.
Hadn't even considered this to be honest, I don't know much about putting new barrels on guns but it's something I'll look into for sure now.

OP
L

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
If you're wife plans on hunting more, get her something that she likes, is not heavy on recoil and fits.

For my wife, she choose the Weatherby Camilla. It's built to fit a woman. It has a high comb for their shorter necks and a curve butt stock that centers the rifle a little bit and works around their boobs. And they are nice looking rifles.

If you go with a magnum of some type, consider a muzzle brake. Some women don't mind, some do.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Yeah it's something we've talked about, but our LOP isn't far enough apart to justify it. Our mass is though so I'll definitely have a muzzle break.

S-3 ranch

WKR
.280 rem , 6.5-284 , .308 , .270
with .308 & .270 being my top of list
all have decent box ammunition available and good range (150gr monolith, ttsx, fed premium, sako, ect)
( IMO 400+ meters is a longer than average shot and takes massive lots of money and practice)

Last edited:
OP, by defining the ranges in your initial post you know in advance that you will have the opportunity for shots out to 400 yards on elk? I like the rifle choices you've mentioned however the Ruger American Predator is not available in 270 Win to my knowledge as that rifle is based on short action cartridges. It would be the standard Ruger American.

With respect to the muzzle brake, that makes an awful lot of noise in the field unless you're gonna wear earplugs due to the fact a shot could come in a hurry and you may not have the chance to put them in. Would you be considering the brake for yourself if your wife wasn't going to shoot it? A 270 Win in my book is not a heavy recoiling cartridge, and you said she's already done ok with the '06. The brake would be an after the purchase modification, try shooting it without the brake and see how you do. JAT.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
What is the difference in your LOP? Even an inch can change the scope picture for you or her.

I would get her a dedicated rifle that fits and she is comfortable shooting. I've played the game of rifles for my wife and you can do more damage than good forcing her into something that doesn't really fit.

Rebarrel the 30-06 for you and get her a nice rifle. You'll both be happier.

What is the difference in your LOP? Even an inch can change the scope picture for you or her.

I would get her a dedicated rifle that fits and she is comfortable shooting. I've played the game of rifles for my wife and you can do more damage than good forcing her into something that doesn't really fit.

100% agree. Also, if someone is going to adapt to an incorrect LOP, it is easier/better to adapt to one that’s a little short than it is to adapt to one that’s too long. There are also spacers available for many makes/models to adjust LOP. I’d get one that fits her then either shoot it short or add spacers or a slip on when you are going to use it.

Flyrodr

FNG
I'd also suggest the 6.5CM. It's fairly light recoiling, ammo is reasonably available (compared to several other calibers), and it is certainly accurate. I'd avoid a brake, because of the racket; go with a suppressor if possible. I'd also consider the pros and cons of the rifle's weight (including scope, etc.). A nice light "mountain rifle" is handy to tote around, compared to the same-caliber rifle that weighs a couple of more pounds. I have two 6.5s that are almost exactly two pounds different in weight. The lighter one is great for carrying in the field; the heavier one is noticeably less recoiling on the range. Your/her situation might make the weight and subsequent recoil a consideration.

If your wife hasn't shot much, I'd suggest getting her to take (maybe together) an "intro" course to distance shooting. For much of my life, living in the Southeast, hunting in the heavily wooded areas was in-close. When a friend invited me to hunt out West, I figured I ought to at least have an inkling of what I was getting into, so took a half day one-on-one on distance shooting (ranging, dialing, wind hold, etc., but as I found, more importantly consistency of grip, tension, etc.). Far from an expert, but after 3-4 hours, the instructor had me hitting steel up to 1,200 yards. The main takeaway, though, was that I had gained considerable confidence and comfort with shooting longer distances.

And if your wife is an experienced distance shooter, my apologies for droning on . . .

Trykon

FNG
Browning, kimber, and savage make 280 AI. The savages have adjustable LOP that may benefit a gun used by 2 shooters. I have an xbolt in 308 that shoots fantastic.

A new barrel for the 700 that doesn’t shoot well is an intriguing option too.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Agreed, rifle fit and LOP are critical for so many reasons. Shorter arms and fingers, smaller hands, narrower shoulders, shorter neck and difference in muscle mass create significant issues. If someone doesn't like their "scope relief" it can often times be fixed by adjusting/customizing the rifle fit. A properly fit rifle is more comfortable and eye relief is solved because the rifle is mounted in the same neutral position, which eliminates the chicken head bobbing.