Gun Case foam

Hi guys I have a pelican double rifle gun case. I primarily put scope bolt guns in it but I want the ability to put rifles, shotguns, pistols whatever I want in it. The foam currently has 2 pieces stacked on top of each other which is how it comes from the factory. When I put 2 guns in it is is very tight. When I take a piece of foam out it is too loose. If I only wanted to carry certain things I would just cut holes out like everybody does. But I want the ability to vary different guns so that does not work. My thought would be to basically take a half inch of the top of the whole piece of foam. Has anybody ever done this? Or any better ideas?
thanks

Carlin59

WKR
I have a similar Pelican double rifle case. I custom cut the two foam pieces to fit two different rifles/accessories/scenarios. I kept the cut out foam, so I can swap the two layers as needed. Example: one layer cut for a single rifle, one layer cut for two rifles. When I want to take two rifles, the layer of foam with the single layer goes on the bottom and I replace the single rifle cut out foam. The layer with the double rifle cutout now is the middle layer. Not a perfect system, but let’s you have two custom fit options at your quick disposal.

OP
L
Thank you for that idea. That’s a really good one. I may do something like that but cut out rectangles for 2 long guns that are big enough for scopes but can be used for unscoped guns as well and keep the bottom piece uncut if I want to swap and put pistols in it. If the foam was not so damn expensive I would not care so much.

Carlin59

WKR
Yep that sounds like a versatile plan to start with. Save the rifle-shaped foam cutouts and you’ll have two options (rifles and pistols) without the need to buy mew foam. Good luck!

N2TRKYS

WKR
I never cut foam in my Pelican. I remove the extra piece. I put my guns(rifles and shotguns) in a soft case and then put them in my Pelican. That way when you get to your location, you can ditch the hard case and still protect your guns with the soft case.

Works great for me.