Gun safes & tile floors

Button

WKR
I have a new safe being delivered, 640# empty, cannon 64gun. I have tile floors. Should I set it on a horse stall mat, carpet square, wood, something else?

Picture is my tile floor.

My old safe wasn’t Near as big and was on hardwood floor.

Attachments

• 6F9B602D-7564-4C31-B9AD-9DC98824590A.jpeg
    6F9B602D-7564-4C31-B9AD-9DC98824590A.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 90

RS3579

WKR
What is the reason for wanting to set it in something? I’ve seen people leave it on the pallet it came on. You can always put nice trim over the pallet and incorporate it in the decor.

JeffP_Or

WKR
If you are truly concerned - which is valid especially if your tile is installed over wood joists and subfloor as the 'flex' may crack your tile - you might consider framing a 2x base with increased space on the framing to better spread the load. Make it as tall as the base on your kitchen or living room cabinets [for consistency/match] and match the toe kick of the same cabinets [overhang at the front],
Keep the sides only about 1-inch inside - then, as RS3579 suggests, put the same white wood base that is in the upper left of your photo over the framing.
It will fit right in and look just like the cabinet guy installed it.

Were you planning on bolting the safe to the wall? I'd still do that [security].

Wapiti1

WKR
A wood base would be my solution. Or machine base pads at the corners, and center front, back and sides.

I would also be concerned about it cracking my tiles while I transported it to its final resting place. Wheeled dollies will find any loose tiles pretty quick. I'd probably lay down 1/2 ply or OSB to roll it in over.

Jeremy

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If tile is on concrete I wouldn't worry about it, aside from possible scratching. If raised floor, I might give it a serious consideration. If it were to settle it could crack tiles. Not a big concern, but better safe :) than sorry.

grfox92

WKR
I would set it on a stall mat and cut it off flush after it's set.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
If tile is on concrete I wouldn't worry about it, aside from possible scratching. If raised floor, I might give it a serious consideration. If it were to settle it could crack tiles. Not a big concern, but better safe :) than sorry.
I see what you did there

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I'd definitely put wood or a stall mat under it when you install and roll it in over sheets of plywood. Tile costs a lot to fix but more than anything it's a pain in the backside to match if you didn't keep extras from the install

Without getting too detailed about your floor construction: Expect the floor to flex with the safe being moved or in place. Use whatever bracing you want to get the safe into position (plywood/whatever), maybe even place the bracing under the safe. You need to spread that weight across the floor to prevent issues.

I had a big AmSec on a tile over concrete slab, I would not trust it on a joist framed floor without additional under floor bracing.

The dolly will loosen or crack tiles. Move it with UHMW slides. The comments mentioning a concrete floor are more important. The bottom of your safe is what 12 square feet. Figure 1000 pounds when full. That is 80 lb per square foot. Well in excess of typical joist construction.

Finch

WKR
I know this dilemma very well. I bought a Liberty gun safe that was 900ish lbs empty. Had to leave it at the store for months as we were house shopping at the time. There were a few occasions where the stupid gun safe determined if we wanted the house or not. Anyway, found a house on a concrete slab and the safe now resides in the guest bedroom downstairs.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If delivery does not include them setting it in place. look into renting heavy equipment moving dolly. They come in sets of two. The tongue slides under the safe on each side the there are straps to go around safe and back to dolly, then ratchet tight. with one on each end(side) use hydraulic jack on both dollies to life off floor and roll safe in place and lower. I would still use something to protect the tile, maybe 1/4 plywood. If on slab that may not be necessary.

Without getting too detailed about your floor construction: Expect the floor to flex with the safe being moved or in place. Use whatever bracing you want to get the safe into position (plywood/whatever), maybe even place the bracing under the safe. You need to spread that weight across the floor to prevent issues.

I had a big AmSec on a tile over concrete slab, I would not trust it on a joist framed floor without additional under floor bracing.
Why do you expect a safe to flex a concrete slab?

Why do you expect a safe to flex a concrete slab?

He never stated his floor was concrete. He does say he has a tile floor. I wasn't going to deep dive into his floor construction.

I have a new safe being delivered, 640# empty, cannon 64gun. I have tile floors. Should I set it on a horse stall mat, carpet square, wood, something else?

Picture is my tile floor.

My old safe wasn’t Near as big and was on hardwood floor.

So what's the problem again??? Cause a tile floor can be on wooden floor joists. Since the OP hasn't replied back as to his floor construction.....we will never really know.

CRJR45

WKR
Ha , none of the above ^ ! Trust me , go buy some 1/2 PVC pipe and cut it just longer than the width of your safe . You will need 8-10 pieces . Tilt the safe and and stick four or five under it and start rolling it across the floor , putting new pieces under the front , and rotating them from back to front , as they come out the back . Super easy , I have a 16 gun safe and do it with just me and the wife .

Last edited:
He never stated his floor was concrete. He does say he has a tile floor. I wasn't going to deep dive into his floor construction.

So what's the problem again??? Cause a tile floor can be on wooden floor joists. Since the OP hasn't replied back as to his floor construction.....we will never really know.
That's my point.

People are going on and on making some huge assumptions.

cnelk

WKR
Yep - round pvc or wood dowels. Get a few under it and a few more as you roll it across the floor.

I moved my 18 gun safe by myself

I agree with most of what has been said about making sure your floor will support the weight at its final resting spot and the path to it.. I have a 50 gun Browning that weighs about 1000lbs.. It is resting on tiled concrete in basement family room, but the best thing I found to move it with was a piano dolly.. It worked so well I could easily move to around by myself and went through doors with no problems.. These are simple to use and can be easily rented for a day..