Gun storage question

rkramer

FNG
I’m in the market for a gun safe, which means I’m going to get one large enough to hold everything. With that said, it’s not practical to move it in the house (lots of stairs and tight corners). This leads me to my question. Living in Minnesota, would it be safe for the guns and ammo to store it in my garage? It is heated but during the winter we keep it at about 40 degrees minimum. I also have golden rod for humidity. I would appreciate any feedback or advice. Thanks.

John.45

FNG
I have my safe in garage in South Dakota. I added a dehumidifying rod, golden rod I think they are called, and damp rid in the safe.

JGTWI

WKR
I think you’d be fine temps wise, but I personally would not feel secure enough with the safe in the garage.

If you want to store in the house, consider a modular gun safe. You can move the individual pieces where you wish and assembly is relatively easy with 2 people. The door is still quite heavy, but it’s far easier than moving your standard safe.

I was going to suggest the Secure It modular type safes. They ship flat and you assemble them.
Id wish I had 2 of these vs the huge safe I have.

Once you really research practical fire rating and watch the videos of how easy they just cut the sides open with a cutoff wheel a regular safe probably won't interest you much.

Bigdog357

FNG
I have had gun safes in unheated garages for over 25 years and I have lived in a humid and hot in the summer and below zero in the winter locations. I have had zero issues with rust. I do keep my guns well lubed and I have a Golden Rod in all safes.

Rexman

FNG
You could also consider a SecureIT Gun Safe which is light enough to easily move around the house but also keeps the guns in a safe spot. I have a large one in our basement screwed into the top of a workbench so it would be very difficult to carry out. They are not cheap but worth it to me if I need to move it at some point. Been really happy with it so far.

I think you’d be fine temps wise, but I personally would not feel secure enough with the safe in the garage.
One afternoon on patrol I got a call of a burglary at a residence. This was the middle of the day. Two or three people in a pickup pulled up to this house and broke into the home. They went to where the safe (A large one.) was located inside the home. (Homes are pretty simple to get into not just the garage.) They wheeled the safe out of the home and loaded it into the back of their pickup truck and drove away. It had to have been someone that had been to the home before or someone this person told about the safe to. You don't just randomly go with three buddies and a dolly to cart a safe out of a home in the middle of the day. They had to know that this time frame was a likely time that the home-owners would be gone. I don't recall if our detectives found out who did this or not as it's been so long ago.
Some of the neighbors saw the pickup and the people but never paid them any mind and thought nothing about it. Do the best you can securing the safe somehow if possible also. If they are brazen enough and want it badly enough they probably will get it. At least a safe will be a HUGE deterrent anyway just by the fact of what it is.

David

Rexman

FNG
I am not sure if it is helpful but here is a picture of my set up. I have it attached to a husky cabinet that locks and I keep my ammo in the husky cabinet.

FF9D02E2-2024-4AE4-B847-F509FD2F3937_1_105_c.jpeg

Fatcamp

WKR
Problem with the garage is it makes it really easy to see and steal. Even bolted to concrete a chain pulls it right out and 3-4 strong guys put it in the back of the truck.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
Try to place the safe in a corner with the wall closest to the door opening. and bolt it down. They are much harder to break into standing upright and in a corner where you cannot gain leverage with a pry bar. If the safe can be moved or flipped on its back, game over. Also suggest placing a water barrier/plastic sheet down if sitting on bare concrete. It can rust over time.

hodgeman

WKR
I've found two gun safes out on back roads with the side cut out with a die grinder. It seems to me, that if I can get it into a house and install it...someone can uninstall it. Particularly if they don't care about what else they destroy in the process.

To me, a safe has one job...keep kids and morons out of them. If someone shows up with two buddies, a chainfall, a grinder, a dolly, and the jaws of life for all I know...I'm pretty sure nothing I'm going to install will make one bit of difference.

WCB

WKR
i would make sure hey are well oiled when in storage. also put a moisture barrier between safe and concrete.
I've found two gun safes out on back roads with the side cut out with a die grinder. It seems to me, that if I can get it into a house and install it...someone can uninstall it. Particularly if they don't care about what else they destroy in the process.
they were probably stored in the peoples garage...hahaha

I’m in the market for a gun safe, which means I’m going to get one large enough to hold everything. With that said, it’s not practical to move it in the house (lots of stairs and tight corners). This leads me to my question. Living in Minnesota, would it be safe for the guns and ammo to store it in my garage? It is heated but during the winter we keep it at about 40 degrees minimum. I also have golden rod for humidity. I would appreciate any feedback or advice. Thanks.
Have you considered getting two smaller units instead of one big one?

I was going to suggest the Secure It modular type safes. They ship flat and you assemble them.
Id wish I had 2 of these vs the huge safe I have.

Once you really research practical fire rating and watch the videos of how easy they just cut the sides open with a cutoff wheel a regular safe probably won't interest you much.

I bought 2. Keeps the kids out and I can carry them myself when disassembled. I know people bash them as it is a cabinet and not a safe, but works for my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought 2. Keeps the kids out and I can carry them myself when disassembled. I know people bash them as it is a cabinet and not a safe, but works for my needs.

I'm with ya.
The research I've done about them getting cut open.
And pretty much even if it keeps the flames out everything inside will melt or burst into flames from heat transfer.
Best policy is no fires.

I never really let people I don't trust even at my house.
When I sell stuff on cl etc
I meet them at the grocery store etc

HoneyDew

WKR

Did you get the agile or answer safe from secure it? I keep bouncing between them in my head.

Wrench

WKR
Here's some things to think about...

Keep your safe in a corner and if possible with a stem wall on each side that stick out past the edge of the safe. This makes it much harder to bar the safe open and more work to cut in from the side.....door is the hardest to cut through.

Plan your safe location near your water supply and away from your gas service. If fire becomes an issue you'll have better luck fighting off rust than fire.

Bolt your safe down....and bolt the sides or back. If they can't get in easy....they may move on.

Consider putting the safe in a room or closet that has a alarm on it. Once the noise starts....the clock starts.

If you want to throw up fast, watch a backwards saw blade in a worm drive cut the sides out of most consumer safes. You'll feel unprotected in a hurry.