Gun safe drilling for rod

Hey everyone, got a new gun safe and want to put a heating rod in it for moisture management. There is not any outlet in the safe so I need to drill a hole. Obviously want it as small as possible but any tips/tricks on doing this? Drilling a hole in a gun safe just doesn’t seem right but I live in an area where moisture management is a major concern.

Thanks in advance.

I have used the Hornady rechargeable unit with great results, I went this route because I didnt want to drill my “fireproof” safe.

What size hole do you need to drill for the plug in unit?

OP
I have used the Hornady rechargeable unit with great results, I went this route because I didnt want to drill my “fireproof” safe.

What size hole do you need to drill for the plug in unit?
No idea yet on drilling have just been reading forums. I live the idea of your rechargeable unit however! Have you had success with it? Any complaints? How long does a charge last?

Ive had mine for 2 years so far. The charge lasts about a month or so and it only takes overnight to recharge. In reality, I charge it, place it in the safe then notice it needs charged about 2 months later. Its made a big difference for me.

They also have a unit you can “recharge” by putting it in an oven or something. No Idea if that works though.

Unckebob

WKR
My safe has instructions on how where to drill the hole. It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember punching out a pre weakened spot that they put there for the purpose.

davsco

WKR
yeah see if your safe has a recommended spot for drilling. remember you only need a hole big enough to get your wire through if you get a plug that can be detached/attached. drill it at least higher than the bottom of the door so that it isn't the low point for flooding water. and if you want your safe tight against the back wall to increase pry protection, drill it on the side. wire a junction box or outlet strip inside the safe so you can power your dehumidifier and interior lighting.