Gunbroker Experiences

BCD

WKR
Just curious how this has gone for others that have used it. I'm looking to sell a pistol that appears to be worth a lot more than the local gun shops will give me in a trade. So how were your experiences with Gunbroker and is there a better option?

Thank You

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I created an account to do what you are doing. It was a little bit of a pain to get set up, but once done I sold the gun and everything went smooth. I'll do it again rather than take a beating from a local shop on trade.

Reactions: BCD

Axlrod

WKR
See if you can find a local dealer that will list it on GB. There is one here, and he charges 15% off the selling price. You will pay half of that in GB fees if you do it yourself, and as was mentioned, bids are less with low or no feedback. If you do it yourself, be aware that handguns have to ship overnight. Only an FFL can ship them USPS, so you are limited to whichever UPS or FEDEX will ship it for you. Some won't do it for you.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
🔝
What AXLROD said.
Handguns are different than shipping long guns. Consignment at a higher end gun shop that does good volume may net you similar results but longer sale time.There are some great sellers and buyers on GB , but there is a percentage that hit the buy button but don’t have the funds to purchase, ending up wasting your time and creating a additional hassle.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
See if you can find a local dealer that will list it on GB. There is one here, and he charges 15% off the selling price. You will pay half of that in GB fees if you do it yourself, and as was mentioned, bids are less with low or no feedback. If you do it yourself, be aware that handguns have to ship overnight. Only an FFL can ship them USPS, so you are limited to whichever UPS or FEDEX will ship it for you. Some won't do it for you.
If I read the fees correctly GB takes 6% of the first $250 of the sale price and then 3.5% of the rest so if you sold a gun for $1000 the fees to GB would be around $41 total. Am I missing something here? Thank You

wyosteve

WKR
I've bought a few items off GB over the years. But recently, because of the sales tax, credit card fee (if used) and high shipping, I find myself figuring all the extras in before I bid. If others do this, it may affect your sales price.

I used to buy and sell via GB a lot.

Once I started hanging around on internet forums, I started doing all of my dealings there. A lot less headache when you can swap phone numbers, have an actual conversation and nobody is skimming fees off of either party. Plus, that way you can determine who you sell to or not. If the buyer doesn't come through with the goods, you don't have to go through a lengthy appeals process to get your money back.

If what you have is desirable, then list it here and other gun forums that you have frequented. If you are worried about getting scammed, just remember, as the seller you have the actual goods. Don't ship it until the money is in your account.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I used to buy and sell via GB a lot.

Once I started hanging around on internet forums, I started doing all of my dealings there. A lot less headache when you can swap phone numbers, have an actual conversation and nobody is skimming fees off of either party. Plus, that way you can determine who you sell to or not. If the buyer doesn't come through with the goods, you don't have to go through a lengthy appeals process to get your money back.

If what you have is desirable, then list it here and other gun forums that you have frequented. If you are worried about getting scammed, just remember, as the seller you have the actual goods. Don't ship it until the money is in your account.
I didn't think I could list a firearm here. Are there any other sites you would suggest as well?

Thank You!

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have bought and sold quite a few firearms over the years via Gunbroker and have never had an issue.

MThuntr

WKR
My relatively recent gun shipping was a giant pain...I didn't know UPS and FedEX have stopped allowing NON-FFL holders from shipping guns (definitely my fault for not checking). That changed sometime in the last few years. So shipping a pistol will still require an FFL so there's an additional $15-30 plus Next Day services. It gets expensive fast so make sure you account for that in shipping.

h2so4

WKR
Please take the feedback in a positive way- but if you didn’t realize you can post a gun here and are not sure the best payment methods or shipping, you will be way ahead by letting a shop consign it for you in GB. They take the higher quality pics and can accept a credit card, which will result in a higher price.

My relatively recent gun shipping was a giant pain...I didn't know UPS and FedEX have stopped allowing NON-FFL holders from shipping guns (definitely my fault for not checking). That changed sometime in the last few years. So shipping a pistol will still require an FFL so there's an additional $15-30 plus Next Day services. It gets expensive fast so make sure you account for that in shipping.

If an FFL sends it, they shouldn't have to ship it Next Day. My FFL only charges $40 to ship handguns for me.

And do you typically require the buyers to use Paypal for payment or is there something better?

I won't use PayPal or Venmo for payment on firearms. Personal check works best for me. I can mobile deposits and I ship as soon as the money hits my account.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Please take the feedback in a positive way- but if you didn’t realize you can post a gun here and are not sure the best payment methods or shipping, you will be way ahead by letting a shop consign it for you in GB. They take the higher quality pics and can accept a credit card, which will result in a higher price.
Disagree. I've bought several guns online and had them shipped to my local FFL. I've just not sold one online before.