20 Inch 7MM PRC Unsuppressed?

WilliamWS

FNG
I'm looking at picking up a new rifle in 7 prc and like the handy-ness of a 20" barrel.
Unfortunately, a suppressor isn't really an option for me as I Iive in NY, where they are not legal unless you're in law enforcement.
Is anyone shooting a short-barreled 7mm PRC unsuppressed?
I'm not worried about speed as even the slower-than-advertised velocities that I've seen some folks report from their 20" 7 PRCs should be more than adequate for my needs (whitetail, axis, hogs out to ~400 yds at 0-2000ft and elk out to ~600 yds at 6-11,000ft).
My only real concern is the noise level and muzzle blast from this cartridge/barrel combo if shooting unsuppressed.
I'm curious to hear experiences from anyone with this setup.

Thanks,
William

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Haven’t shot my 20” 7 PRC without a can yet. But will report back when I do. Can’t imagine it’s all that great, but I sure like shorter handier rifles.

I shot two antelope last year with a 20” unsuppressed 300wsm last year (3 shots). Would not recommend. Thats the only time my ears have ever rung from shooting

Axlrod

WKR
Every single gun shot causes irreversible damage to your hearing. Absolutely no reason to shoot ANY gun without ear protection ever, other than self protection. I have not been without ear pro. for 30 years, but before that... well my ears RING all the time now and i wish someone would have slapped some sense into me.

Sevens

WKR
Shot my 20” 7PRC without a suppressor prior to my suppressor arriving. It’s not very enjoyable.

Maybe get a linear comp to help push blast further from your ear?

OP
W

WilliamWS

FNG
Thanks-that's what I was concerned about.
I do ALWAYS wear hearing protection, even when hunting, but even with protection I've heard some guns that don't seem particularly fun to shoot and that I'd be worried about possibly doing a little damage even with plugs in. Sounds like this might fall into that category. Think I'll likely look to go a little longer...

Unckebob

WKR
I have a 20" 280AI that I sometimes shoot unsuppressed (never with a muzzle break) when taking velocities on my magnetospeed. It is pretty stout in terms of recoil, but I manage OK.

I lost about 100-150fps when I cut it from 24" to 20."

You'd be better off with a 7mm-08

Yep. With your stated use, there is no reason to go any bigger than that. The 7-08, 6.5 Creed, 6 Creed, .223, even the 308 all perform well in 20” barrels and will kill deer and elk out to 600 yards without a problem, using factory or hand loaded ammo.