Adding a 6.8 Western??

Hey guys. Been in the market for a new rifle and caliber and have been really fascinated by the 6.8 Western. Currently have a 6.5CM which has served me well for whitetails in my area, but have been looking to add an option with the ability to push a bit heavier bullet. I’m a smaller stature shooter so the ability to push a pretty good size bullet while still having minimal recoil is also appealing. Ammo seems to be relatively available at the local gun shops in my area.

For those of you that currently have one, or have had one.. what was your experiences with the caliber and how did you enjoy? Appreciate all the feedback in advance.

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't say 6.8 is minimal recoil.

That being said it ticks all the right boxes except rifle selection is not great and ammo availability/assortment is worse.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

gerry35

WKR
I've started working with mine and like it a lot. I find the recoil pretty mild and it looks like it's going to be accurate. I had a LH Tikka rebarreled since lefties were hard to find.

OP
HunterMc24
I wouldn't say 6.8 is minimal recoil.

That being said it ticks all the right boxes except rifle selection is not great and ammo availability/assortment is worse.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk
Guess I worded that incorrectly lol. Meant pretty mild compared to some magnum cartridges.

gerry35

WKR
Definitely a cartridge I’m interested in. Hopefully we can continue to get more ammo and rifle manufacturers to jump aboard.
I agree, I like it a lot. Ticks a lot of boxes for me and I'm a 270 cal fan. ADG and Petersen are the most likely to make brass. It would be neat to see Berger get on board with their 170 gr EOL in a factory load with Lapua brass. Barnes is one I would think would consider loading the 155 gr LRX in a factory load too. Sure doesn't hurt to send off a few emails to some of these that would interest you.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 now and really like the cartridge. One is a Win 70 stainless WSM I rebarreled and the other an Xbolt Speed SR I run with a suppressor. Both are very accurate and recoil is mild for down range punch. I have moslty used factory loads - the 165 ablr Win load and 175 tgk. Not tried the other Win/Browning loads but those shoot very well for me. Choice Ammunition offers a bunch of loads with some other bullets (155 lrx, 170 eol for ex) I have not tried their ammo but guys on the FB groups report great results.

Like others I am hoping one of the premium brass guys pick it up. Not a competition round so definitely not top of the list for them. However, I have had excellent results reloading with Win brass though had to cull a few. My first try was with 175 tgk and rl26. Sub 1/2 moa groups. I was well under max and just matched factory load velocity of 2835 so I can interchange with factory loads if I want and use same CDS dial. Basically a sweetheart to load for so far

Lou

Gila

WKR
Definitely a cartridge I’m interested in. Hopefully we can continue to get more ammo and rifle manufacturers to jump aboard.
I counted 56 different models by about 5 or 6 different brands. That was at the sportsman’s. Right now Browning and Winchester are the only major ammo makers with about 6 or 7 different offerings. A few custom ammo loaders have some really good rounds for a decent price. Barnes, Berger, Nosler and Sierra all have come out with some awesome high BC bullets. About the only week point is brass availability but that will change when enough rifles get out there.

The 6.8 western is a great round. I had one for a minute in a Browning X Bolt Speed SR. My buddy shot it and fell it love with it and there was some overlap with my 6.5 PRC and my 280 AI, so I let him have it. Super cool round. This is the 6.8 next to my prc, I took this pic at the range.IMG_2052.jpeg

OP
HunterMc24
Saw a new suppressor ready x-bolt for $600 buy it now on Gunbroker a couple days ago. If i had any interest in 6.8 Western, I wudda pounced on it
Appreciate the info! I’ll check out gunbroker and see what kind of deals I can find

OP
HunterMc24
I counted 56 different models by about 5 or 6 different brands. That was at the sportsman’s. Right now Browning and Winchester are the only major ammo makers with about 6 or 7 different offerings. A few custom ammo loaders have some really good rounds for a decent price. Barnes, Berger, Nosler and Sierra all have come out with some awesome high BC bullets. About the only weak point is brass availability but that will change when enough rifles get out there.
I’m hoping Christensen jumping aboard will get some other gun makers to start chambering it as well.

OP
HunterMc24
I have 2 now and really like the cartridge. One is a Win 70 stainless WSM I rebarreled and the other an Xbolt Speed SR I run with a suppressor. Both are very accurate and recoil is mild for down range punch. I have moslty used factory loads - the 165 ablr Win load and 175 tgk. Not tried the other Win/Browning loads but those shoot very well for me. Choice Ammunition offers a bunch of loads with some other bullets (155 lrx, 170 eol for ex) I have not tried their ammo but guys on the FB groups report great results.

Like others I am hoping one of the premium brass guys pick it up. Not a competition round so definitely not top of the list for them. However, I have had excellent results reloading with Win brass though had to cull a few. My first try was with 175 tgk and rl26. Sub 1/2 moa groups. I was well under max and just matched factory load velocity of 2835 so I can interchange with factory loads if I want and use same CDS dial. Basically a sweetheart to load for so far

Lou
Glad to hear you’ve had some good success with it!

Have you shot anything with the Browning 175 TGK? I was looking at factory ammo and that’s the one that interested me the most.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear you’ve had some good success with it!

Have you shot anything with the Browning 175 TGK? I was looking at factory ammo and that’s the one that interested me the most.
I have shot 3 coyotes and several pigs including a very large boar with 175 tgk. All exits including the large boar through both shoulders which is pretty stout critter and an excellent bullet stopper. The bullet do a lot damage and seem to open quick but have a very high sectional density and thick jacket so penetrate well.

Have also used 165 ablr, 170 btips, 165 matrix (no longer made) and 170 eol on various deer and pigs between me and sons in 6.8 and a 1-8 270 wsm. All performed outstanding. The 170 eol did not exit on one large boar but he was hit a bit far back by son and only went about 35-40 yards. Son shot his buck with 170 btips this year and put baseball sized hole through both lungs and good exit

Lou

OP
HunterMc24
I have shot 3 coyotes and several pigs including a very large boar with 175 tgk. All exits including the large boar through both shoulders which is pretty stout critter and an excellent bullet stopper. The bullet do a lot damage and seem to open quick but have a very high sectional density and thick jacket so penetrate well.

Have also used 165 ablr, 170 btips, 165 matrix (no longer made) and 170 eol on various deer and pigs between me and sons in 6.8 and a 1-8 270 wsm. All performed outstanding. The 170 eol did not exit on one large boar but he was hit a bit far back by son and only went about 35-40 yards. Son shot his buck with 170 btips this year and put baseball sized hole through both lungs and good exit

Lou
I appreciate the response. I’m from KY so it will primarily be used for whitetails, but I also plan on taking it on a couple of trips out west for some mulies and elk. Some of the shots here on whitetails can sometimes be inside 100 so I was trying to find my best option that would perform in close and at long range.

IdahoFF

FNG
I managed a good gunbroker buy earlier this spring on an xbolt mountain pro in 6.8 western. With the recoil hawg brake on it the recoil is extremely mild. The gun is a tack driver for sure with the 175gr tgk, the only round ive fired through it. Shot a decent bull at 258yds this fall with it and it performed as it should. Bull took 5 steps then tipped over. Love the gun and a very cool cartridge. Checks all my boxes.

jgraff08

FNG
I agree, I like it a lot. Ticks a lot of boxes for me and I'm a 270 cal fan. ADG and Petersen are the most likely to make brass. It would be neat to see Berger get on board with their 170 gr EOL in a factory load with Lapua brass. Barnes is one I would think would consider loading the 155 gr LRX in a factory load too. Sure doesn't hurt to send off a few emails to some of these that would interest you.
Has anyone tried turning 7mm saum brass into 6.8 namely adg