Gunsmith Review - Oregon Mountain Rifles

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
When you contacted me about the stock, I spoke with AG and AG informed me that they had had similar issues from recent Tikka stocks. They informed me that they had dropped the inletting 0.030" to help relieve the issues you were experiencing and I asked them how they wanted to handle your situation. Ag asked me to inlet your stock the 0.030' which I did and returned the rifle to you. The stock was not DRILLED out ,it set in mill and inletted to AG specs.

We literally build all OMR barrels in house, we get raw blanks and turn-down, wrap to our specs. YES WE MAKE THE BARRELS WE ARE HAPPY YOU LOKE IT!

AG did not pay for the return shipping of your rifle back to OMR, OMR paid for that. We did it as a courtesy for AG. OMR has $137.00 in shipping costs for your rifle to fix the stock.

You mentioned the time frame, yes originally we were 8-12 weeks, the gun industry is crazy right now everyone is struggling to get products currently we are 12-16 weeks. We have 200-250 builds on average in the works. I can't drop everything the second your rifle shows up to check on the problem. Every single customer is equally important and we take pride in that, when you texted to find out what I did to the stock, I told you I was with customers, Im sorry that's not what you wanted to hear.

Customer service? There is no mention of OMR replacing the $35.00 bolt stop with a new one FREE OF CHARGE when the rifle was returned with a non functioning bolt stop that had been ground down so far that the bolt would physically fall out. We did this as a small gesture without hesitation because of the issues you had with the stock, we didn't ask if you wanted it we just did it.

You still owe OMR for the original return shipping costs you have not yet paid for. We sent another email on 8/3/21 asking for payment from your 6/10/21 invoice for return shipping.

We put our blood, sweat, and tears into OMR. I'm sorry we couldn't meet your timeline expectations or customer service needs.

We have built and sold hundreds and hundreds of rifles using AG stocks without any issue we incredibly sorry the stock issues you experienced, customer service was not up to your standards, your time line was not being met or craftsmanship that didn’t meet your expectations. As always if there is accuracy issue, product defect OMR stands behind its products. We are truly sorry for and and all Inconveniences you may have occurred during this build process.

Your final paragraph in the email to OMR states “I need the rifle as it’s my only mountain rifle I feel comfortable taking elk hunting and with 4 rifle tags I’m stuck with it”. This tells me your confidence in shooting the rifle is there enough to trust your entire hunting season using it.

With that being said, We are 100% willing to take back the barrel and stock for a 100% refund minus the outstanding original return shipping charges. Since OMR sent the rifle back It’s been almost 2 months since you received you rifle back from OMR and we have not heard from you, until being notified we were going to be blasted on social to media to receive some sort of resolution. You made it clear you are confident in the rifle, just not happy with customer service and or stock fit which is being taken care of by AG when a new stock design is available. You being upset about everything in your review is all fair and good. We want you to be happy we will issue the refund as soon as we receive the barrel and stock..

Sincerely
OMR
I've got no dog in this fight, but the question on my mind reading through this-you make no mention of the main issue?!! Did you actually send a rifle back to a paying customer for custom work and it wont function?
I could care less about the delays, and excuses for numerous extended delays. ONLY since you took the time to create an account and provide your side, which is great, have I decided to comment. Frankly you should be more concerned about taking clients money and sending them an inoperable "custom" product.

I am literally laughing that the 100% refund still has return shipping charges deducted for a rifle that wouldn't work.

I would get every dime I could back and run. If you think its good enough to keep do so, there's no reason you cant keep a rifle and still share a shitty experience.

archp625

WKR
Thanks for posting this. I find it odd that they made an account to say the same thing you posted. Hopefully others will see this and not have the same headache as you.

Sadler

WKR
I feel your pain. I had a very similar situation albeit was out a rifle for over a year with another well respected smith who customizes a lot of tikkas. I too was sent a rifle that wouldn’t even feed after spending 2k to barrel and stock it. Sad thing is I heard others have problems as well, which is why it’s good to get these things out.

Atleast you got a rifle that hopefully shoots... and a stock that functions.

if you have an AG alpine hunter check out that rear thread engagement!
Do you mind sharing which smith that was?

I sent a pm. Since this thread isn’t specifically about the smith, and he’s a sponsor here I’ll leave it out of this thread.
Probably the same one that told me I would have my rifle in February. Still waiting, with no response to my last email.

sndmn11

WKR
AG did not pay for the return shipping of your rifle back to OMR, OMR paid for that. We did it as a courtesy for AG. OMR has $137.00 in shipping costs for your rifle to fix the stock.

You mentioned the time frame, yes originally we were 8-12 weeks, the gun industry is crazy right now everyone is struggling to get products currently we are 12-16 weeks. We have 200-250 builds on average in the works. I can't drop everything the second your rifle shows up to check on the problem. Every single customer is equally important and we take pride in that, when you texted to find out what I did to the stock, I told you I was with customers, Im sorry that's not what you wanted to hear.

Customer service? There is no mention of OMR replacing the $35.00 bolt stop with a new one FREE OF CHARGE when the rifle was returned with a non functioning bolt stop that had been ground down so far that the bolt would physically fall out. We did this as a small gesture without hesitation because of the issues you had with the stock, we didn't ask if you wanted it we just did it.

You still owe OMR for the original return shipping costs you have not yet paid for. We sent another email on 8/3/21 asking for payment from your 6/10/21 invoice for return shipping.

Sincerely
OMR

These four paragraphs send a clear message on your feelings about those who choose to put food on your table and a roof over your head as paying customers.

No customer cares if the gun industry is crazy right now, they care if you have integrity and they can trust your word. What do you have as a business that is more important than those two things? There is no reason to make timeline promises you cannot keep, there is no reason to not immediately inform a customer when something changes what you promised, and there is no reason to use other (unfortunate) customers as an excuse. I would hate to be one of those 200 OMR customers in the works right now, and hear I am as equally important as a guy who received a rifle that doesn't function.

Bringing up a $35 part that takes 15 seconds to replace and shipping on a rifle that doesn't work is some petty nonsense. You had one single thing to do for this particular customer and that was to send him back a rifle that at the absolute very very very least went bang and you failed. Your small gestures seem to overlook the reason why you were paid and your response makes you look bad. A businessman with integrity would give the refund, and be gracious enough to let the customer return the stock and barrel after the hunting season and pay for a competent gun smith to remove them. Oh, and pay for the shipping.

wildcat33

WKR
I keep having the feeling that there is a dirty little secret with custom rifles if you are paying attention: they often have problems. Maybe not as big as a botched chamber, but inletting off, and bad feeding are common, then many cosmetic errors, etc. Even the best made rifles, you get an action that binds or a barrel that doesnt shoot aces. Lot of money for something that often does not deserve the prestige of "custom".

Last edited:

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I just shipped a Lone Peak action off to Straight Jacket Armory for custom throating on a proof barrel. They’ve been holding the barrel for me since March when I was told 6-8 weeks on the action (took 20+). I’m hopeful I don’t run into similar issues as my conversations with the team there has been confidence inspiring every time.

sndmn11

WKR
  • It is unreasonable for customers to hold smiths to timelines for items that are outside of their control - mainly obtaining parts. Gun industry is crazy in general, shipping is ridiculous, all industries are short on labor, etc.
WITH quick and clear communication. I don't think many people would be upset if they knew right away what was going on, that the builder was going to bat for them to get the part from the slackers, and that they have a solid plan in place redefining expectations.

I just shipped a Lone Peak action off to Straight Jacket Armory for custom throating on a proof barrel. They’ve been holding the barrel for me since March when I was told 6-8 weeks on the action (took 20+). I’m hopeful I don’t run into similar issues as my conversations with the team there has been confidence inspiring every time.
that was a mistake... best wishes on your build!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
It’s no different than any other product or service. Good gunsmiths make good guns AND have good CS. Crappy gunsmiths build crappy guns and/or have bad CS.

I have zero issues anywhere with my customs.
I don’t disagree. I’ve had good luck myself. Fortunately we have forums like this to get info on the good and bad.