Gunwerks Clymr Stocks Went on a Diet

NSI

WKR
I know. I don't want the hassle or expense either, but I just don't see another hybrid stock design that appeals to me anywhere near as much and ... I want it.

-J

The fact that gunwerks has laid the blueprint for what a stock should be for so long and none of the dedicated stock makers in the industry can figure it out is frustrating. There it is manners, mcmillan, AG, and everyone else. Just copy it for effs sake.

NSI

WKR
I'm a fickle bitch, it turns out.

I'll still pursue this project out of curiosity, but ...

I just gave Allterra $1350 to bed a Tikka into one of their in-stock flush pic rail stocks with a bunch of other goodies I'll reveal once it's done. Outstanding customer service and ergos which are close enough to the Clymr to be "good enough" for now. Done, by the way, will be a few weeks, not 180 days.

-J

NSI

WKR
Heard back from Mitch.

1) Gunwerks will not consider Tikka inlets until after they are up to speed on Rem 700s, which will be a minimum of 1 year out.

2) Gunwerks wants to "do it right or not at all," so flat tops aren't being considered right now.

3) They acknowledge the Tikka market and do plan to pursue it, and will let us know when they feel they can.

Best,
-J

SDHNTR

WKR
Yes, Travis seems like a great guy with an excellent stock design. I didn’t think to ask him about a Tikka inlet run but I will. Thanks for the suggestion.

-J
I’ll be shocked if he is able to accommodate, as he can’t seem to keep up with existing demand, but it’s worth a call.

As a sidebar, what is it about gun stocks that makes them so time consuming to produce? It’s a simple instrument. I mean even the big guys like McMillan can’t deliver in a reasonable time. Manners is a whole year! Why does it take so long? It’s not like we are talking about a complex good with a multitude of systems, components and materials to put one together. Is it labor? Supply chain? The Covid excuses are stale.

id_jon

WKR
I’ll be shocked if he is able to accommodate, as he can’t seem to keep up with existing demand, but it’s worth a call.

As a sidebar, what is it about gun stocks that makes them so time consuming to produce? It’s a simple instrument. I mean even the big guys like McMillan can’t deliver in a reasonable time. Manners is a whole year! Why does it take so long? It’s not like we are talking about a complex good with a multitude of systems, components and materials to put one together. Is it labor? Supply chain? The Covid excuses are stale.
I'm pretty sure I heard that cure time is a big factor, and there's multiple steps to each stock that require cure time.

Yes, Travis seems like a great guy with an excellent stock design. I didn’t think to ask him about a Tikka inlet run but I will. Thanks for the suggestion.

-J

I did when they first announced KS1. He said no tikka but it's been a while since then.

TS does great work and is easy to work with. The guy is a staunch supporter of Muley Freak still so it's hard to give him more money.

SDHNTR

WKR
I did when they first announced KS1. He said no tikka but it's been a while since then.

TS does great work and is easy to work with. The guy is a staunch supporter of Muley Freak still so it's hard to give him more money.
Uggh. That just made me throw up a little bit.

Spoke with Mitch this morning.

Key Takeaways:

1) Old foam supplier found out they were a gun manufacturer and stopped selling to them (California). This drove the change to the new lighter foam and process.

2) Caught in the midst were 80 stock component orders, each of which needed to be hand fit by Gunwerks, at great time and expense.

3) Per Mitch, it's not worth ordering a stock (even in an inlet they advertise) until the process is refined and the backlog is worked through.

4) There's plenty of internal interest at Gunwerks in doing 25 Tikka inlets but they can't give a time due to this backlog.

5) There is potential for us to buy 25 flat-tops at a bulk rate and then send them to Chad at LRI to fit to an example Tikka and then drop-ship to members from there. I don't know how this would effect the bedding block mechanics, but I know that Chad does exceptional stock bedding work from buying 7 rifles from him.

Please let me know in reply what you think of the flat-top idea and what your price ceiling would be. I can't imagine it would be less than 600 to inlet/bed/paint plus the flat top cost, shipping, and incidentals.

-J
I’m very interested.

I called 2 weeks ago and they weren’t even selling component stocks

Edit* just updated the page and saw it’s a no go. Bummer. Maybe next year

NSI

WKR

Shit. That sucks. I guess he goes in the BO/Krptek/Camofire bucket now. What a shame.

-J

ehayes

FNG
Heard back from Mitch.

1) Gunwerks will not consider Tikka inlets until after they are up to speed on Rem 700s, which will be a minimum of 1 year out.

2) Gunwerks wants to "do it right or not at all," so flat tops aren't being considered right now.

3) They acknowledge the Tikka market and do plan to pursue it, and will let us know when they feel they can.

Best,
-J
Thanks for taking the lead on this. However long it takes. Are you taking contact info for serious buyers or do you plan to post to this thread if the group buy ever happens?