Gutless method for deer....what end do you start with?

Watched Randy Newberg tag a mule deer in Wyoming. Looks like he went Gutless. Seems that he started like he was caping the head/neck, then worked backward from there.

I've seen pics....maybe Adam Greentree and Tahr….went gutless, but did a complete side, then flipped over.

I've hunted with some real SAVAGE MF's when it comes to keeping meat clean. Most guys are Flatlanders and have no clue what they are doing.

I get the job done and have some time apprenticing under an award winning taxidermist-which has helped me find the correct joints to break things all the way down with only a knife. But I am not sure I am the most efficient in getting meat in a pack. Anyone care to chime in with some real world skills?

Last edited:
OP
J
Maybe I should simply ask "If you need to get a deer sized critter out on your back. And it's a trophy that you are simply not going to lop the head off.....what's your method/steps"

i found this video very helpful. where he cuts the shoulder out first, i would just do my cape cuts and then take the shoulder out

muddydogs

WKR
You will have less issues with hair if you cut with the hair instead of against it so cutting from the head to the rear is best when making the initial body cut. Cutting from the back bone to the hoof is also with the grain of the hair.

From what I gather Randy is one of them MF's you're talking about so I suspect he is trying to control the amount of hair as much as possible, I'm the same way.

I usually do one side of an animal then flip it over, only makes sense to do it this way. But there are times especially with elk that you take what you can get to reduce the carcass weight enough to be able to move it around if the elk happens to fall in some god forsaken pile of hell.

danarnold

WKR
I went gutless a while ago, I also debone from the carcass vs removing quarters and don't skin anything that doesn't need it never cutting hide off.
if doing a mount a lot of extra time is taken vs just processing in my case.
extreme care is taken to keep hair off meat

Wrench

WKR
When saving the cape, it's easier to start farther away for leverage, but one must also factor in gravity. When gutless I try to start on top and work down. Makes for less weight to throw around

Yates

FNG
When cutting thru the skin, once you can get your knife underneath the skin and make your cuts outward to the hair side, you'll get a lot less hair on your meat.

When using the gutless method, what's the best way to get to the heart and the inside tenderloins? Break a rib to access those areas?

S.Clancy

WKR
I do the "one side then flip" method. I've never caped anything, cause I ain't hauling a cape that far, euros look better anyway.

Jimss

WKR
It's essential to get the hide/cape off ASAP to allow quick cooling of meat....especially around the neck area. This also prevents slippage of hair when tanned. I'm sure if you ask any taxidermist what is the most common causes of capes being ruined it's either cutting too short on the neck or hair slippage from not getting the cape cooled down quickly around the neck.

Similar to Randy I ALWAYS start off by skinning the cape. That way I prevent blood from getting onto the cape hair and also prevent twisting fragile guard hairs when rolling around on the ground. I plug the mouth, nose, and bullet holes with paper towels to stop blood from flowing and soaking into hair. I also try to have extra towels for soaking up blood as I skin the neck and head.

I do quite a few life-sized skinning jobs. For larger species I often do 1 entire side at a time. It's pretty tough to turn an elk or moose over without boning the top side first!

If you are lucky and have a tarp or painters plastic you can place it between the meat and the ground to prevent meat from getting dirty. If you think about it, the dry outer layer of meat is tossed so it's really no big deal if there is a little dirt or hair. I obviously try to keep the meat as clean as possible.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I do the same for deer and elk. I split the hide down the backbone and skin one side down regardless of whether I'm going to keep the cape. Then I'll take the shoulder off and debone it. Then remove that side's backstrap, neck meat, and then debone the rear ham. Flip the hide back over it and roll it over and do the same on the other side. When done on that side then I remove the tenderloins. I may also take any rib meat that I can too. Then I'll finish caping it out.

Shraggs

WKR
I do the same for deer and elk. I split the hide down the backbone and skin one side down regardless of whether I'm going to keep the cape. Then I'll take the shoulder off and debone it. Then remove that side's backstrap, neck meat, and then debone the rear ham. Flip the hide back over it and roll it over and do the same on the other side. When done on that side then I remove the tenderloins. I may also take any rib meat that I can too. Then I'll finish caping it out.

Same here, neck meat once I get skin up to jaw

Chad E

WKR
When using the gutless method, what's the best way to get to the heart and the inside tenderloins? Break a rib to access those areas?

No need to break a rib to get to the tenderloins. By the time you get everything off they are semi exposed. Not difficult to get just dont puncture the guts in the process. I've generally broken a rib to get the heart.

This is typically what I do as well.

rbljack

WKR
While the video has some good info within it about the joints....he doesn't take the lower leg meat, and he didn't get the tenderloins. I also wouldn't recommend the trash bag on the pack out. Id be hanging those quarters in game bags while doing the cutting at least to let it cool as best I could before throwing it into the pack.

Here is video that Randy Newberg has showing the gutless method. What I like about this one is that it includes the caping of an deer for mounting while doing the gutless method. He also shows a nice little trick for the hide when doing the front legs. He gets the tenderloin and all the meat goes in game bags. Because he includes the caping, I think it describes all the necessary steps.

cnelk

WKR
The tenderloins are always under the short ribs - go in there.
If you dont know where the short ribs are at, shoot more deer and practice

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Adam Greentree is about as good as it gets.

That Tahr ? Kimmie shot it didn’t she ?

I think he starts with having a tarp on the ground and skins from the spine (backstrap ) down to the ankles, flips, repeats.

You get 2 backstraps, 2 fronts and hams. The trick then is the tenderloins. With hams removed, it actually opens up the area to dig them out with just a small cut while pulling on the rib cage outward. It’s gutless yes because the guts fall forward but it’s still a little, or can get a little sloppy. Sometimes, no slop, depends on the cut and propping up the rib cage with some assistance.

But if you are mounting and want a cape, you must leave the spine alone and work up from the ankles.

Cam Hanes is great with a knife, but he doesn’t do instructional stuff. John Dudley does, and I’ve seen him cape out Elk. Not sure he has a instructional but watch his elk pack outs. He also has mad skillz with a Traeger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
I do front, rear, backstrap, neck, rib, brisket, and then tenderloin. Flip and repeat. I leave skin on quarters in this process to keep them cleaner. I skin last and gamebag and into pack.

Hoot

WKR
I normally do it the way as everyone above, but Monday on a whitetail doe, I started by propping her up like most would for a good field photo and took out both back straps first, then I proceeded to take one side, front then ham, tendy, flip and repeat. I think I will continue to take the back straps out first from here on out, I seemed to be able to keep them cleaner this way...