HAMMER Bullets Performance on Game

Maineiac

FNG
Shot a cow yesterday with my sons. They had helped e build some 205 grain hammer Hunter cartridges from my Sako aii .338wm. Shot was 250ish yards, impact velocity somewhere around 2300. Bullet worked as advertised. Lungs destroyed, and a quarter sized exit hole. She never meaningfully moved from the spot she was shot at. That makes two elk with the load (last years was at 160ish yards) and both died quickly and without an excess of movement. I’m happy with this bullets.

A lung shot with a mono within terminal performance parameters, giving you advertised bullet performance, gets the job done quickly and efficiently.

280ai 155 absolute Hammer at 3030fps.
320yd double lung on a mature 6x6 bull elk, 20yd dash and piled up. Dead within 30 seconds. Shank exited, 2 petals under offside hide within 3 inches of shank exit and one petal in edge of offside shoulder when butchering. 4 holes through center of lungs, lots of shock damage to surrounding lung area.

Now if you push those terminal parameters outside of recommended velocities the results will vary.

I’ve seen that result as well. Double lunged a bull at distances being on the edge of reccomemded velocities and did not get advertised bullet performance, no expansion and follow up shot needed.

As all monos, speed is your friend. lighter than normal caliber weights to get the needed speed is required.

BC aren’t great but they are adequate for the bullets intended purposes. long range has different meanings to different people. Hammer may say hammer hunter or their tipped bullet is their long range bullet, but they also say 700 is long range. They don’t advertise their bullets as 1000yd bullets.
They reccomed their bullets as an inside 500yd bullet, and their BCs are just fine for that

Not a Hammer fanboy but they are a great design, high quality and a good blend of terminal performance theory. You get 2 holes( in and out) and you get a good initial pocket of energy dump when the petals shed.

I’ve shot them, I’ve had luck with them, I’ve had not so great luck with them. Will I shoot them again yes. Will I lighten up my bullet choice and push it faster, yes.

Understand the bullet, what it is designed for and how to use it and it will work out great.

Attachments

• IMG_1890.jpeg
    IMG_1890.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 1000008384.jpeg
    1000008384.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 1000008383.jpeg
    1000008383.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 15