HAMMER Bullets Performance on Game

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Update from my cow elk hunt last week.

7mm-08, 131gr HH. 320 yd shot broadside (Impact velocity estimated ~2475, 1800 ft lbs energy), she was stumbling after the first shot (high lung) and rocking on her feet. My policy is that I shoot until they are down so I sent a second one which punched through the shoulder joint (front side) and scapula (opposite side). Despite being two shots she was essentially DRT as she went nowhere after being shot. First shot probably would have been sufficient based on how sick she looked after.

It was close to dark and I didn't open the cavity to inspect but the damage was impressive and I'll keep using them. I saw evidence of petals separating but wasnt able to recover any pieces.

Last edited:
I took the 162 Absolute Hammer to Africa and shot Wildebeest, Warthogs, Impala, Kudu without a hitch. One Wildebeest made it out of my sight. I loaded that in 30-06 but don't have my records in front of me.

I'm working up a load in my 300 WM, accuracy is great. I changed the seating depth on my 300 WM load from longer to shorter and I picked up a little velocity and accuracy improved. I'm shooting a Blaser R8 and they seem to like a little bullet jump, so this makes sense.

Last edited:
Is it common for Hammers to not have an exit hole? My dad tried them out this year. He shot a mule deer at about 350 yards with his 300 win mag and there was no exit. He was hesitant to use them on elk after seeing that. We did not open up the deer to see what kind of damage was done on the inside.
Hammers aren't designed to expand, the 3 petals break off tearing through whatever they touch, and the base travels forward. Effectively turning into 4 pieces of shrapnel. Devastating damage with little bloodshot meat.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy used my 280AI with 143 HH at 3180 fps to take a whitetail buck at ~150 yards. No bullet recovered, traveled maybe 20 yards. It was a broadside shot through the back of the lungs.

The next day I took a mule deer buck facing me dead on at 235 yards. Buck dropped where he stood, heart was destroyed, lungs were evaporated, and the bullet passed through everything.

The heart:
418B0831-736E-4AC4-8B37-F5A6547ABD90.jpeg

JDMotown

FNG
Had a slightly quartering away shot on a beautiful chocolate bear this spring. 523 yards, 156gr Hammer hunter out of a 27 nosler going 3190fps. Watched it hit mid-body near the start of the ribs, perfect placement. Bear jumped and ran down hill. Couple dribbles of blood that dried up 40 yards from where he was hit. Looked for him for 3 days. He made it off that mountain. Not sure if it deflected or what, but that should have been a dead bear. Back to bonded for me. Would rather have some potential meat damage vs. that heartache again.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Had a slightly quartering away shot on a beautiful chocolate bear this spring. 523 yards, 156gr Hammer hunter out of a 27 nosler going 3190fps. Watched it hit mid-body near the start of the ribs, perfect placement. Bear jumped and ran down hill. Couple dribbles of blood that dried up 40 yards from where he was hit. Looked for him for 3 days. He made it off that mountain. Not sure if it deflected or what, but that should have been a dead bear. Back to bonded for me. Would rather have some potential meat damage vs. that heartache again.
Based on my experience shooting them, this has been my concern with Hammers in general, but particularly a concern with bears. If I were to shoot Hammers or other monos again in the future, it certainly would NOT be on bears. It isn't sexy or trendy, but I actually think the ELD-X is an ideal bullet for bears.

JDMotown

FNG
Based on my experience shooting them, this has been my concern with Hammers in general, but particularly a concern with bears. If I were to shoot Hammers or other monos again in the future, it certainly would NOT be on bears. It isn't sexy or trendy, but I actually think the ELD-X is an ideal bullet for bears.
I've shot ELD-M's at tons of animals, and they are devastating. Some meat loss on some shots, yes, but they either dropped instantly or within 20 yards. Gonna give the 165 ABLR a try in my 27N.

92xj

WKR
My 180gr hammers have killed the three bears they have been shot at. Bear 1 didn’t move from his nap. Bear 2 went one step. Bear 3 ran 17 yards before piling up. If I could have any of those shots for all my bears in the future it would be the bear 3 shot. Perfect broadside center mass, entry missed rib bone and only hit the rib muscle, the bullet did exactly what is was supposed to and left an exit hole from the shank of the bullet with 5 small holes about 4” diameter around the shank hole, from the petals.

I’ve seen this on one of the deer I have shot with them as well.
The 4 other deer they have killed all hit bone on the way in so you couldn’t see exact bullet performance like the other two that didn’t hit bone.

Not directed at anyone that posted above; I personally feel like people use bullets as an excuse to making shit shots. Same with broadheads. Slice a heart open, punch a hole through both lungs, sever the aorta, the animal will die.

Last edited:

WKR

WKR
My 180gr hammers have killed the three bears they have been shot at. Bear 1 didn’t move from his nap. Bear 2 went one step. Bear 3 ran 17 yards before piling up. If I could have any of those shots for all my bears in the future it would be the bear 3 shot. Perfect broadside center mass, entry missed rib bone and only hit the rib muscle, the bullet did exactly what is was supposed to and left an exit hole from the shank of the bullet with 5 small holes about 4” diameter around the shank hole, from the petals.

I’ve seen this on one of the deer I have shot with them as well.
The 4 other deer they have killed all hit bone on the way in so you couldn’t see exact bullet performance like the other two that didn’t hit bone.

Not directed at anyone that posted above; I personally feel like people use bullets as an excuse to making shit shots. Same with broadheads. Slice a heart open, punch a hole through both lungs, sever the aorta, the animal will die.
Very valid reasoning, but the problem is when you aim and hit the vitals area but the bullet deflects. I've used hammers and had mixed results. I'm not convinced they have the best terminal performance of the monolithic bullets and won't compare them to lead core because they aren't the same thing.

92xj

WKR
Very valid reasoning, but the problem is when you aim and hit the vitals area but the bullet deflects. I've used hammers and had mixed results. I'm not convinced they have the best terminal performance of the monolithic bullets and won't compare them to lead core because they aren't the same thing.
Aiming at the vitals, hitting the vitals and then the bullet deflecting? I don’t understand.

I’m also a believer in bigger is better and have not fallen into the latest “fad” or whatever it’s called these days of shooting smaller diameter ammo. I stick to my 300wm for all my hunts . Sometimes I will pull out the old 270 or 32special. But for 99% it’s the 300. I don’t have a deflecting problem and honestly never even had the thought that it would be a possibility. Are folks having deflecting issues these days? I’m assuming you’re saying deflecting off a bone from impact on the animal? And I know you weren’t implying I was saying hammers are the best in the mono world, but I do want to say I have zero experience with any other mono as hammers are all I’ve shot in monos. And so far, I’ve not had a single issue or failure that I’m aware of. What I do know is I like two holes in and out of animals and I’ve gotten that with the hammers unlike I have with past lead and jacket ammo, though all those animals died as well.

I guess after thinking more about this, I’m on the side of the field of bigger bullet and the right shot placement and the animal will be dead within easy finding distance. I don’t own a 6.5 man bun yet, and won’t, but I also will never worry about deflecting off a bone. (Said with humor and sarcasm and not trying to pick an internet fight).

Stalker69

WKR
“What I do know is I like two holes in and out of animals and I’ve gotten that with the hammers unlike I have with past lead and jacket ammo, though all those animals died as well.”

So you dont get pass throughs with lead and jacket bullets out of a 300 wm ? My hunting partners that shoot one don’t seem to have that issue. And Damn I have no issues with my 7mm mag, 270, 6.5 prc, or 6.5 creedmore, 243. In fact I normally get pass throughs with my 7mm br on deer and antelope ( I don’t shoot any thing bigger then that with the br, but it’s out of a 15” encore hand gun also). I’ve reloaded some hammers, ( because they are available ,where as it’s hard to find some of the others ) but have not shot any thing with them yet. You May want to try different lead core bullets in your 300 WM. Partitions possibly, they are one of the ones that seem to get 2 holes out of various calibers ,on a very regular basis.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
So far my experience shooting hammers, badlands, lrx and cutting edge raptor, lung shots just don't work. They don't cause enough bleeding trauma or big enough holes in the lungs to kill them very quickly at all. They will die, but not quickly.
If you shoot copper, which I do, imo, you need to hit that high shoulder so they can't go anywhere for a follow up or hit them in the heart or CNS.
Every year I'm cycling though different copper bullet manufacturers and I have yet to find one that kills as well as the ABLR did for me.
Trying the DRT's next year. Which is the only lead free bullet that is a departure from the kinda mushroom or break petals philosophy every other lead bullet operated under.

MojoTX

Lil-Rokslider
So far my experience shooting hammers, badlands, lrx and cutting edge raptor, lung shots just don't work. They don't cause enough bleeding trauma or big enough holes in the lungs to kill them very quickly at all. They will die, but not quickly.
If you shoot copper, which I do, imo, you need to hit that high shoulder so they can't go anywhere for a follow up or hit them in the heart or CNS.
Every year I'm cycling though different copper bullet manufacturers and I have yet to find one that kills as well as the ABLR did for me.
Trying the DRT's next year. Which is the only lead free bullet that is a departure from the kinda mushroom or break petals philosophy every other lead bullet operated under.

What is your definition of quickly? Can you give more details on your experience with hammers? animal, caliber, distance, pass through, etc...

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not sure why anybody would shoot a hammer…unless you’re required by law. The design calls for a caliber size entrance and a caliber size exit and significant shedding of weight. If I could describe my least desirable performance in a bullet, this would be it. 2 caliber sized holes with significant loss of weight.

MojoTX

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure why anybody would shoot a hammer…unless you’re required by law. The design calls for a caliber size entrance and a caliber size exit and significant shedding of weight. If I could describe my least desirable performance in a bullet, this would be it. 2 caliber sized holes with significant loss of weight.

I guess we're idiots.

I have to shoot copper in my home state and we kill a lot of pigs and deer. I load them for myself and quite a few buddies. You get much more than a caliber sized permanent would cavity. There is also something about the petals shearing off that leads to more bang-flops. They have been much more reliable and kill faster than Barnes or GMX in our experience.

Oh, and they are incredibly easy to load for and end up 100-200fps faster than comparable Barnes or GMX loads. Plus always available.

Here’s a couple from this week. Nothing special, nothing magic..just solid performance (for copper).

Top buck 380 yards 7mag 131 HH (3300fps), through shoulders bang flop.

Bottom buck 100ish yards 30-06 with 151 AH (3230fps) behind the shoulder, exit through opposite shoulder bang flop.

Never had a Barnes give me a bang flop or as much destroyed tissue.
E9584BC4-0AF5-4EF7-8EB9-B02A8972B470.jpeg0480DCFD-18B4-403B-9B9E-0B7944CFF87F.jpeg

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have to shoot copper in my home state and we kill a lot of pigs and deer. I load them for myself and quite a few buddies. You get much more than a caliber sized permanent would cavity. There is also something about the petals shearing off that leads to more bang-flops. They have been much more reliable and kill faster than Barnes or GMX in our experience.

Oh, and they are incredibly easy to load for and end up 100-200fps faster than comparable Barnes or GMX loads. Plus always available.

Here’s a couple from this week. Nothing special, nothing magic..just solid performance (for copper).

Top buck 380 yards 7mag 131 HH (3300fps), through shoulders bang flop.

Bottom buck 100ish yards 30-06 with 151 AH (3230fps) behind the shoulder, exit through opposite shoulder bang flop.

Never had a Barnes give me a bang flop or as much destroyed tissue.
View attachment 604929View attachment 604930
I’ve used them. My 12 year old daughter will be using them this year. I’ve heard about bang flops, never experienced it.