Hammock recommendations

Love the pics.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a Warbonnet El dorado. I’m about 7 business day’s since ordering and it was back ordered so with any luck it’ll be in before the end of the month.

What do you guys recommend for underquilts? I was considering the Wookie but I know quite a few other companies make them.
I have the 20 degree wookie and it freaking rocks... Super warm, light, comfy, and no guess work. I also have an underquilt protector but have been through a major storm without one without any issues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I had a chance to try just about every hammock out there as my cousins and uncle are backpacking gear junkies.
i ordered the Warbonnet ridge runner. It’s bridge style so much more flat, and the pockets on either side are really handy for light/pistol etc

PlanoDano

FNG
I find the 3/4 length yeti sufficient as an underquilt but I pair it with the thinlight foam pad between layers from Gossamer Gear. I carry a tush shaped piece of closed cell foam as a glassing pad that doubles as insulation for the foot box.

Really was tempted by the Clark before I went Warbonnet - what's you sleep system weight in that setup?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Heavy...6.5lbs but I am toasty and dry. The Mega Ogee tarp's storm doors are perfect! I can camp wherever I choose, have slung that sucker between tractors before.

Warbonnet Blackbird owner since 2011. I sleep in it an average of 2 nights a month. Very well made piece of gear. I was the only adult in my son's scout troop that was hammock camping. After 2 years, almost all of the adults were hammock camping and most were in Warbonnets.

Shraggs

WKR
E0B5F456-40AB-4CB4-8704-F02FFB9C5CEC.jpeg011F430A-06B4-4A8F-9650-D6A1F2203564.jpeg

henesy hammock, hyperlite. All in 4 lbs even. Early season only.

Winter and snow I’m in the ground in a tent.
Where’s Bruce has cold set up sailed in, but I don’t want to carry the weight .

OP
J
So my hammock should be here on Saturday. I ordered an original blackbird but then decided I wanted an eldorado(happened same day). I tried to get them to cancel my order for the BB - I communicated with them through email, got a response, emailed back and never heard anything until yesterday when I got the shipping notification for the original blackbird. So ended up canceling the Eldorado order... hopefully I don’t miss the extra room.

Gotta say after dealing with SG customer service I’m underwhelmed. I didn’t expect Warbonnet to bend over backwards or anything, I realize they’re busy, but it would’ve been nice to at least get what I wanted... hopefully I like it.

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a hammock to give it a shot - I still have some trouble sleeping on the ground so I figure on some solo scouting trips this summer it would be nice to see what the hammock life is like.

Looking hard at the Warbonnet Blackbird. I have zero issue with the price, just want to make sure before I pull the trigger there isn’t something comparable out there I should also consider.

I’ve done some research on the ENO Junglenest, Hennessy Hammock, and Dutchware gear but I keep coming back to the Warbonnet.

Any suggestions or advice for a first timer?

thank you.
Eno one pink system.

Hammocks are love hate. I am a side sleeper so they don’t work for me. Problem is, if you don’t have a decent hammock and an underquilt and the right gear, it is going to suck and you won’t like it. Unfortunately, even with the right gear you may not like it. I would say buy something cheap and try it out this summer. You’ll know pretty quick how far you want to take it.

for me, I keep a couple of eno s for naps but they aren’t serious sleep gear.

Guess I should say the setup too while I'm at it.

Dutch Chameleon Wide 1.6 Hexon
Dutch Spiderweb 1.5 (15ft)
Hammock Gear 12ft DCF Palace Tarp with Doors & Dutch Continuous Tarp line setup.
4 x Ruca Locura CF Pegs
1 L Kuiu Roll Top Drybag
20 deg EE Enigma Top Quilt
20 deg EE Revolt Under Quilt
2 x Med Kuiu Roll tops (1 for each quilt)

5.15lbs packed. Hands down the comfiest setup if get your lay correct and straps at a 30 deg angle.
The under quilt changed the game vs sleeping on a pad in a hammock.

IMG_8425.jpg

Warbonnet is a great company. I have had a Ridgerunner for ages, and I just picked up a Blackbird XLC. I also have a Dream Hammock Sparrow (have had it a few years and used it plenty). My Sparrow is really nice, and Dream Hammock offers much more customization than Warbonnet, but so far at least, I find my XLC more comfortable than my Sparrow (the foot box is a genius design), and I really like the shelf for storing larger items than can fit in a ridgeline organizer.

Warbonnet also offers a complete system, and once you have spent the night fussing with your underquilt in an attempt to achieve the perfect seal and save your bottom from below freezing temps, you can truly appreciate having an underquilt that is actually made to fit your exact model of hammock. I'm sure the BB is wonderful as well, and I didn't need the extra length (I'm 5'5"), but I wanted the top cover/underquilt protector option that you get with the XLC. I've heard people who are looking to save weight also really like the Eldorado.

Edit: Just went back and read the comments properly, and I see that you have already bought your hammock. I'm sorry you weren't able to get the BB switched out for an Eldorado. For what it's worth, I don't think that's typical of Warbonnet customer service. I know they are really slammed right now, and maybe your request slipped through the cracks. That being said, unless you are in a hurry to get out immediately, I would contact them and see whether you can exchange the hammock. It would mean waiting a bit longer, but I'm sure they would do it, especially since you had discussed it with them already.

I also wanted to mention that hammockforums.net is a great place to ask hammock-related questions. Lots of knowledgeable people on there ready to help out, plus a lot of gear manufacturers (including Warbonnet) post in the forums so you can ask them questions directly. It's similar to this site, except it's focused entirely on hammocking.

Last edited:
OP
J
Warbonnet is a great company. I have had a Ridgerunner for ages, and I just picked up a Blackbird XLC. I also have a Dream Hammock Sparrow (have had it a few years and used it plenty). My Sparrow is really nice, and Dream Hammock offers much more customization than Warbonnet, but so far at least, I find my XLC more comfortable than my Sparrow (the foot box is a genius design), and I really like the shelf for storing larger items than can fit in a ridgeline organizer.

Warbonnet also offers a complete system, and once you have spent the night fussing with your underquilt in an attempt to achieve the perfect seal and save your bottom from below freezing temps, you can truly appreciate having an underquilt that is actually made to fit your exact model of hammock. I'm sure the BB is wonderful as well, and I didn't need the extra length (I'm 5'5"), but I wanted the top cover/underquilt protector option that you get with the XLC. I've heard people who are looking to save weight also really like the Eldorado.

Edit: Just went back and read the comments properly, and I see that you have already bought your hammock. I'm sorry you weren't able to get the BB switched out for an Eldorado. For what it's worth, I don't think that's typical of Warbonnet customer service. I know they are really slammed right now, and maybe your request slipped through the cracks. That being said, unless you are in a hurry to get out immediately, I would contact them and see whether you can exchange the hammock. It would mean waiting a bit longer, but I'm sure they would do it, especially since you had discussed it with them already.

I also wanted to mention that hammockforums.net is a great place to ask hammock-related questions. Lots of knowledgeable people on there ready to help out, plus a lot of gear manufacturers (including Warbonnet) post in the forums so you can ask them questions directly. It's similar to this site, except it's focused entirely on hammocking.

Im only 5’9” so I’m hoping the BB will be okay. It’s just disappointing because I don’t want to pay the money to ship it back when I asked long before it was ready for the switch you know? Maybe WarBonnet would offer to eat the shipping, but if he’s so swamped that my email slipped through the cracks I’m not interested in trying to deal with the logistics of it.

smitty619

FNG
My Dutchware Chameleon (w/bugnet top cover) and the Hammock Gear CF tarp (w/doors) is about 30oz.