Hammock setups for hunting

I use mine until there is snow on the ground or it going to be below freezing at night. I have a Kammock Roo with python straps and one of their tarps.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I was just wondering if any of you guys use any hammock setups for hunting
I was actually just wondering this same thing. I’m looking to upgrade my tent for the backcountry. Not sure the hammock will make sense in late-season hunts but could be a good option earlier here in CA. Curious what others say.

I run mine anytime there will be trees and I’m going ultra light. Slept well into the teens with a warbonnet black bird XLC, winter top, and their sock. 20 degree quilt and 40 degree under quilt. 75AB0C61-4580-4ED6-81C0-FBFC4A5C3CA3.jpeg

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Knowledge is the difference in freezing your tail off and sleeping comfy. Do your homework, and preferably, do some field testing before using for the first time hundreds of miles from home in temperatures colder than you've attempted before. The risk there is large.

That said, I've slept in hammocks down into the teens and done OK. They have some advantages. Wet, uneven ground being the main one.

OP
Llama32

Llama32

WKR
Knowledge is the difference in freezing your tail off and sleeping comfy. Do your homework, and preferably, do some field testing before using for the first time hundreds of miles from home in temperatures colder than you've attempted before. The risk there is large.

That said, I've slept in hammocks down into the teens and done OK. They have some advantages. Wet, uneven ground being the main one.
I agree with his statement the biggest one to me other than being off the ground and uneven ground is that the quality of sleep I get is way better than sleeping on the ground

okcaveman

FNG
I've used my warbbonnet blackbird xlc with a 30 degree top/under quilt down into the low teens. Not the most comfortable nights I've ever spent in a hammock at that temp. For me, if I'm just hiking, I love the hammock. But for cold weather, extended trips, my floor less shelter, and sleeping bag/pad packs smaller than hammock/tarp/under and top quilts, and likely weighs less too

shepaloop

FNG
i rock the warbonnet XLC and it is legit the only way i get good sleep in the backcountry. I believe that for broad shouldered people that have problems with their arms falling asleep throughout the night sleeping on the ground it is a vauluable option. I have also slept in some pretty cold/wet weather and it is money. Only downside is it is a pound and a half heavier than my tent set up.

I have both setups and think I’ll take the hammock next time. Just too hard to find the right piece of flat ground that is where you want to be in relation to animals and a water source while also not having dead trees or limbs nearby.

Can hunt until dark and setup anywhere.

Seeknelk

WKR
I have both setups and think I’ll take the hammock next time. Just too hard to find the right piece of flat ground that is where you want to be in relation to animals and a water source while also not having dead trees or limbs nearby.

Can hunt until dark and setup anywhere.
Only if there are trees! 😁

JjamesIII

WKR
I was just wondering if any of you guys use any hammock setups for hunting
Mild weather or wet/warm areas they make sense. In colder temps they are don’t make sense, just an odd novelty. By the time you add up all the necessary additional kit, you’ll be better served in a tent.
I like them for light and fast short hunts in early season. Any extended hunts I’m tenting it. Some people make it work, but it’s not for everyone.

I use mine when there is snow on the ground...especially in places where fire isn't much of an option. Easier to keep a small space warm with the right insultation. Bit of a learning curve to it, Whoopie slings are essential as are a quality top & underquilt. But unlike a tent which gets wet, my Clark stays high and dry. Ideal for those bivy hunts when you're sleeping someplace new every night.

IMG_0281.jpgIMG_0283.jpgIMG_0285.jpg
IMG_0271.jpg

Trees are not essential...toured the country on my motorcycle and slept in my hammock for weeks at a time, stopping at a hotel for hot showers, A/C, TV and food twice a week. Hung that thing in fence corners, between tractors, even rocks...just need a few extra straps and a bit of creativity. :)

hammocktime.jpg

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
CB49AE98-FA5B-47E9-939D-0429F805059A.jpeg
Henesy hammock hyper lite. With bottom and top quilt and tarp all in 4 lbs.

I’m also early season user when in timber and or on the move and out for a few nights

I have a Kammok Mantis setup and I love it, although I did switch out the included lightweight asymetrical tarp to a larger storm-worthy (enclosable) size! I use the 6oz Arrowhead Equipment quilts and I've had them down to below 30 degrees F. I've changed to Dutchware suspension and a few other items, but primarily the same.

I do recommend laying diagonal and also typically hanging your foot end about 6" higher than the head end (you'll migrate less around your hammock if you flop in your sleep).

Attachments

• 20210724_062321 (1) (1).jpg
    20210724_062321 (1) (1).jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210724_062237 (1).jpg
    20210724_062237 (1).jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 21

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
i rock the warbonnet XLC and it is legit the only way i get good sleep in the backcountry. I believe that for broad shouldered people that have problems with their arms falling asleep throughout the night sleeping on the ground it is a vauluable option. I have also slept in some pretty cold/wet weather and it is money. Only downside is it is a pound and a half heavier than my tent set up.
Have the same hammock and couldn't agree more. I sleep better in it, with less shoulder pain, than I do in my bed at home.

A UL tarp or tent setup may be better for gram-counters. All-in, a full hammock setup might add some ounces but I'll take it for the comfort and versatility.

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
It's great when there are plenty of trees for a good setup. Had a HH for close to 8 years. Last night the only tree I could find was small. In the middle of the night there was a a creak and I was suddenly on the ground in the snow. First time I had a tree pull out and almost fall on me. Miles up in the mountains alone, without a proper tree on the ground also finding out my rain fly was no longer waterproof.

Made it out fine the next morning although a little wet. I still stayed plenty warm in it with a thermarest and Eberlestock sleep system. I'm always hesitant to bring it not knowing if there will be a good spot to set up. When there is, it's great.