Hammock?

Thinking about running a hammock and tarp as my sleep system this year.
Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
I often hammock with my family. We stack hammocks, hang side-by-side, and do the triangle technique. All work well, but it is true that sharing hammock camping gear like straps, hardware, and insulation is difficult.

The only time I've shared my insulation has been when my kids have wanted to jump into my hammock. At that point, I'm sharing everything, except for my comfort, which I forgo in favor of getting the "You're A Great Dad" sticker later in life.

As for sharing insulation, I'm not a big fan. I've never had success with sharing sleeping quilts or bags with my wife as it ends up a tug-o-war between two Quilt Hogs. Honestly, I can't imagine how anyone makes this work unless you can both sleep like mummys all night long.

I know there are some long-distance hikers who've claimed to be successful in this, but my recommendation is to share things that share best: food, kitchen items, tarps, and hugs.

You can both get lightweight base weights and not really have much of a weight penalty. The only time I can see sharing insulation as an option is when you're doing some mega, multi-month long-distance trek where every scrappy ounce is worth saving, like Erin McKittrick and Bretwood Higman did in their trek.

I just can't see the advantage for even a week-long backpacking trip.

There is the Vertex from Clark Jungle Hammock. It's heavy, but it is one of the best "real" two-person hammocks on the market. Clark has some unique insulating pockets that work by trapping air and keeping you warm without adding extra insulation.

Mike 338

WKR
I've used them hunting in cold weather (top/under quilt). It can be a nice sleep. I'm not a big person but find a wide hammock alleviates shoulder pinch, which seemed to be an issue with a smaller hammock I first tried. No hip/shoulder pressure anymore. IMO, no major weight savings but if you use down, it packs down a into the pack better. Camp anywhere in a burn or above treeline and finding a couple trees of proper distance can be an issue. No cozy nadel area to spread out all your belongings in sustained weather although the hammock itself fairly large. They do make big tarps though, which maybe I should consider. So far, a standard 11' tarp has been fine. I suppose an extra tarp to cook under might be nice. I'm not an ultra-light guy so a small gain in weight doesn't bug me to much. I'll probably keep using it till I find a major hitch in the system.

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a Warbonnet blackbird XLC hammock and a super fly tarp for the past 4 years. I use a Hammock Gear top and bottom quilt. I’ve never found a comfortable set up for me sleeping on the ground but sleep as good if not better in the hammock than in my bed. There is a learning curve on setting up the hammock and getting it dialed in to how you like it but once you do it’s the best night sleep you can have in the wilderness.

ff768b6b02e0501f57a4fdfc30ea75a9.jpg
6ffde277ae095e7cccf763a8dc69f8d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
I loved my grand trunk for just kicking around... decided to go in for a hunt camp and got a real nice Hennessy hammock and tarp set up with an insulated exped pad vs under quilt. By the time I was done the weight was nearly double of a regular flourless set up and took even longer to get set up right. I sold it back off pretty quick and just kept the grand trunk for hanging out.

am10nxw

FNG
My experience is with a friend who decided to go hammock last year.

Pro:
Comfortable
Cheap

Cons
Hard to find safe spots to hang up the hammock. (Lots of standing dead trees in our mountains)
Took a long time to setup and tear down compared to our tents.
He found it harder to wake up and get ready to go vs with a tent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

jason6884

FNG
Ive hunted 3rd season Colorado in a hammock good sleep can get drafty but set up in a good spot you'll be good. Just find a good spot to hang. But I used all cheap gear that time I need to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
I run a Bearded Hanger Imperial Hammock (out of business), Cedar Ridge Gear top and under quilt, and a Hummingbird Hammocks Pelican Tarp. Total setup is just a hair over 5lbs with carbon fiber stakes, bug net, tree straps, etc...

It's comfortable. Being a bigger guy I had yet to find a packable pad that kept my shoulders and hips from being ruined in the morning. The hammock takes care of that. It is a little weird getting up in the morning and not really being enclosed. I try to sleep in at least a baselayer… easier when its cold. If it's not super cold I have slept just in the clothes I had been wearing or the clothes I plan on wearing the next day.

The most important part of a hammock setup is the under insulation. You will literally freeze you butt off if its 60 degrees outside without something underneath you.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I prefer floorless hammocks, saves weight big time!

For cold weather, I suggest a top quilt and under quilt, and I think they have some newfangled combo set up with top and bottom quilt linked together with a mechanical binder.

If you're setting up in place that gets really windy/stormy, I suggest getting a ground hammock, they come with pegs to anchor the unit down to prevent sway, high end ones come with a waterproof tarp that also anchors down too, so many options!

I have been using a Warbonnet blackbird XLC hammock and a super fly tarp for the past 4 years. I use a Hammock Gear top and bottom quilt. I’ve never found a comfortable set up for me sleeping on the ground but sleep as good if not better in the hammock than in my bed. There is a learning curve on setting up the hammock and getting it dialed in to how you like it but once you do it’s the best night sleep you can have in the wilderness.

ff768b6b02e0501f57a4fdfc30ea75a9.jpg
6ffde277ae095e7cccf763a8dc69f8d5.jpg

Neat. Always curious about these. I never got beyond the experimental phase and never honestly geared up properly.

What does your rig weigh all in?
Do you need a pad too?
What is you low temp limit with this set up?
How does wind impact that temp / comfort?

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
Neat. Always curious about these. I never got beyond the experimental phase and never honestly geared up properly.

What does your rig weigh all in?
Do you need a pad too?
What is you low temp limit with this set up?
How does wind impact that temp / comfort?

I have never weighted it but what ever it is it is worth it.

With the under quilt you do not want a pad. It can cause condensation and sweat. The under quilt by its self is the way to go.

I’ve slept down into the mid 20’s- 30’s with no issues. I will sleep in either a hoodie or beanie and light weight gloves as I like to keep my arms and head out from under the top quilt.

The wind can play an issue but for me it is more of the noise of the tarp flapping in the wind. This past September I was in NW Nebraska and the wind at night would howl. I would guess that it would have to be 50mph or more. It was not cold and I didn’t get cold but sounded like I was in a hair dryer. The tarp I have had doors that can be pulled down closed and it keeps most of the wind out. Especially when pulled down to the ground but you give up space. I use my trekking poles to make a front porch 95% of the time. I will also carry another tarp sometimes if rain is likely and will use to store gear under and also carry out hunting to have a dry place to sit out a rain. I can’t stand to be wet.

I almost always use the 20 degree quilts even in warm weather it is really easy to loosen the suspension and let some air flow.

dla

WKR

FatBuddah

WKR
I like mine from Gearhackers.... all in one fully insulated hang.

Attachments

• B8E57A37-4EF2-4D30-8EF2-2183DB85BA0F.jpeg
    B8E57A37-4EF2-4D30-8EF2-2183DB85BA0F.jpeg
    604.6 KB · Views: 75

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I use an outdoor vitals hammock with one of their “mummy pod” sleeping bags and a silnylon tarp. Absolutely no complaints or compromises with this setup.