Handgun for back country Archery Elk?

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I always have my s&w 5906 or 1911 on me while I'm archery hunting. I rig my holster on the hip belt of my pack.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Tsnider

WKR
been carrying a hk p30L in 9mm with critical defense rounds loaded up, but im only in black bear country. too much weight and i dont want to buy another pistol (want, i mean need too much kifaru shit right now). im gonna switch to bear spray so i can cut some weight.

I Carried in a thigh holster for a few years, every day, it worked well for me. I didn't hike with it but I have run through the woods, been in the water and rolled around through the brush. I am considering a hill country chest rig with a Velcro closure. I can carry, maps, compass,gps, multi tool etc as well as pistol and extra magazine.

DEHusker

WKR
I carry a Glock 20 too. I looked into a .44 or a .357 but for me, I like to have 15 rounds of 220gr hardcast Buffalo Bore hellfire ready to unleash upon anything that threatens me as opposed to 6 or maybe 7 rounds in a revolver. I practice with handloads year round so anything under 10 yards is toast (I'd like to think anyway!! LOL). I found a great holster by a guy that does custom kydex. Cook's holsters - I ordered the OWB with adjustable belt clip. Switches between my pack and my hip instantly and holds very well. Check him out - great customer service too.

In reality, a handgun for bears is probably marginal for self-defense. To get off a lethal shot(s) in a few seconds with adrenaline pumping is asking a lot. I really carry one for my own peace of mind to sleep better at night and to defend myself on my solo trips from...you guessed it...other crazies wandering in the wilderness. I feel bad for you all in states that don't allow handgun carry during archery seasons.

P.S. Google "Fred Eichler grizzly charge" and imagine this scenario and having to hit this crazed sow to stop/kill her before she turns you into a hamburger patty. He got super lucky to turn her without hitting her....I usually crap myself just watching this youtube snippet.

Last edited:
I carry a S&W 329PD in a Diamond D chest rig. The light weight 44 mag revolver is barely noticeable and is always with me, even on the rare occasion that I take my pack off.

Last edited:

WKR
CONDOR MA69: VT HOLSTER

Easy to swap from hip belt to pants. Sometimes I leave it in the truck and put it on for 2nd/3rd pack out so I can dump the rifle weight.

Currently carry g22 but plan on upgrading to g20 by next season. Those Buffalo Bore rounds are legit.

Maybe it's been covered before here, I don't know, so I'll say it. In ranger academy we had a unit on bears. We were taught to pick a shoulder and empty your weapon into it, taking away it's ability to pursue. Very unlikely to kill a bear in that scenario before it's on top of you. The autopsy pics they showed us were impressive. Multiple heart/lung shots that didn't stop forward movement. They are just so jacked up on adrenaline.

I honestly believe this is the correct approach. Actually was thinking to a friend last night, old school tough bastard, who survived 2 separate brown bear attacks while hunting. One barely. He agreed with this approach after his "revenant" experience.

G20 is proven against polar bears and that's all I need to know.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have a few semi-auto handguns but for bear protection I prefer a double action revolver. I carry a S&W .500 with a 2 3/4" barrel in an Uncle Mike's chest holster.

Beendare

WKR
That chest rig is nice....if you are fishing....but when hunting.....what about your binos?

I don't like those thigh rigs either.....walking about 10 miles with one of those and its a PITA down on your leg.

I like a belt rig personally...and thats what I practice with. I probably wouldn't bother with a pistol in the area you mentioned..but if so, that G20 [rebarreled] is hard to beat as long as you load it with Hardcast. I can give you 20 examples of poor performance with hollow points and charging hogs...hardcast is the way to go as bear defense....those bullets are a game changer.

That chest rig is nice....if you are fishing....but when hunting.....what about your binos?

I don't like those thigh rigs either.....walking about 10 miles with one of those and its a PITA down on your leg.

I like a belt rig personally...and thats what I practice with. I probably wouldn't bother with a pistol in the area you mentioned..but if so, that G20 [rebarreled] is hard to beat as long as you load it with Hardcast. I can give you 20 examples of poor performance with hollow points and charging hogs...hardcast is the way to go as bear defense....those bullets are a game changer.

I picked up a HPG recon kit bag with their GI water bottle holder for my binos this year. I really like the setup so far the only downside is your binos are open to the elements.

PS I go G20 with 220 hard cast as well

garrete

FNG
CONDOR MA69: VT HOLSTER

Easy to swap from hip belt to pants. Sometimes I leave it in the truck and put it on for 2nd/3rd pack out so I can dump the rifle weight.

Currently carry g22 but plan on upgrading to g20 by next season. Those Buffalo Bore rounds are legit.

Maybe it's been covered before here, I don't know, so I'll say it. In ranger academy we had a unit on bears. We were taught to pick a shoulder and empty your weapon into it, taking away it's ability to pursue. Very unlikely to kill a bear in that scenario before it's on top of you. The autopsy pics they showed us were impressive. Multiple heart/lung shots that didn't stop forward movement. They are just so jacked up on adrenaline.

I honestly believe this is the correct approach. Actually was thinking to a friend last night, old school tough bastard, who survived 2 separate brown bear attacks while hunting. One barely. He agreed with this approach after his "revenant" experience.

G20 is proven against polar bears and that's all I need to know.

Why would you shoot a bear defensively anywhere but the head? In other words why would you shoot it if it isn't charging you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you shoot a bear defensively anywhere but the head? In other words why would you shoot it if it isn't charging you?

Ha,ha, yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Nothing like a CNS shot to stop something/anything dead in it's tracks.

WKR
Statistically you have terrible odds of penetrating skull. It's like steel plate. Factor in the adrenaline and time constraints of a giant pissed off brown bear and the odds aren't good.
At least that's what the "experts" taught us in federal don't get killed by the bear class.

WKR
Should add, I'm talking big Western and Alaskan bears, not east coast black bear.

I carry an XD40 everywhere I go hunting. 13 rds of jacketed hollow point ready to rock. Second choice is a lightweight commander 1911.

Should add, I'm talking big Western and Alaskan bears, not east coast black bear.

That's also what I'm talking about. I've been involved in the killing of two BB's on Kodiak one night, so I do know a little bit about what it takes to penetrate a big BB's skull.