Handgun Hunters?

Snyd

WKR
Any Handgun Hunters here? Specifically revolvers. Not a pistol grip, sawed off rifle". Neither do I mean packing a pistol along with a rifle "just in case" you can get a shot with with the pistol. I mean, a man and his pistol. To coin a phrase.... "Like bowhunting only louder".

Oldffemt

WKR
I’ve shot a couple white tails with a 10” Ruger Blackhawk. Sold the gun long ago and don’t really miss it.

I hunt with one of my handguns every year. Have taken deer with my Redhawk .44, Gp100 .357, and a couple of my 10mms. Not to mention the many bunnies and tree rats that have succumbed to my Ruger MKII Target.

Thought about getting into the .454 game, but for now I think my .44 covers 95% of what I would do with one.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted and killed deer and bear (and other stuff) with my 6" Smith and Wesson 629 Classic .44 Mag. Shot it open sights for the first 20 years and then installed a red dot after hitting 40 years old. (damn eyes) Best all around set up I have seen. I handload so the versatility is great. Have shot everything from hand cast boolits @ 800fps to 350 grain jacketed boolits full charge. Since acquiring my first, I have others as well. The 4" Magna-Ported version with open sights is a great backpacking option if things get "western". The triggers are exceptional and never let me down from -40* to 100*+ temps. Own many other handguns but the above is my main squeeze.

I have hunted with my revolvers. I hunt pigs with my 357 gp100 6”. Not bad at all and fun. My uncle has hunted deer for years with a red hawk after shoulder surgery.

Ive handgun hunted since 2004. Yes, I use scoped SS TC pistol's sometimes, the compound bow and yes sometimes I take a rifle along...just as an excuse to get them out of the safe really. I like them all and why not. Ive got about every caliber in revolvers from .22 to 500 S&W (4" bbl single action) and many are full pistolsmith customs from Reeder, Gemini and Bowen, Freedom Arms Premier Grades, Dan Wesson standard and stretch frames, USFA's custom shop, Colt's custom shop, Ruger, S&W's custom shop, Taurus Total Titanuim's...even a custom revolving carbine in 44-40. 50 single and double action revolvers and I handload for them all, some are wildcat cartridges. Some open sights, some scoped, a few with Burris red-dots. Deer, bear, hogs, small game, varmints, vermin.....african plains game back in 2006. Love it. Longest shot was 260 yards on an african Greater Kudu, 2nd longest 185 yards on an african Black Wildebeest. One shot each with a scoped custom TC Encore with a 15" braked bull barrel in a 375 caliber wildcat equal to 375 H&H. I love handgun hunting and reloading for them.

Wapiti1

WKR
Yep. stainless Dan Wesson 44 Mag 6", Herters Powermag 44 Mag 6.5", and a custom Ruger Blackhawk .454 Casull 4 5/8" conversion. And several .22 LR handguns for squirrels and grouse.

Also have shot a few deer and hogs with a Glock 21 .460 Rowland.

For whitetail around here, the revolvers are all I use.

Jeremy

Had a good year bowhunting whitetails, didn't need another one. So when rifle season came along, it seemed like a good time to use a handgun (hand Cannon) instead, S&W 44 mag, iron sights. A doe broadside at 50yds presented itself, the shot rang true and knocked her off her feet.

Handgun hunting is a lot like bowhunting in the way that patience and distance limitations plays a roll. Which takes a lot of practice to build confidence in.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Any Handgun Hunters here? Specifically revolvers. Not a pistol grip, sawed off rifle". Neither do I mean packing a pistol along with a rifle "just in case" you can get a shot with with the pistol. I mean, a man and his pistol. To coin a phrase.... "Like bowhunting only louder".
ABSOLUTELY, haven't picked up any of my rifles in years. .44 magnum and .454 Casull

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
Good to see some other Pistoleros around here! Lets see some pics of guns and critters!

Clarktar

WKR
I have a SBH 44 brisket hunter. I would be interested in hunting with it. Any optic recommendations from those with experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Killed a whitetail buck with a 329pd and a bear with a 1911 10mm. Both were more than adequate. I killed a wounded bull elk with a g20.

I own a 460xvr and a srh in 44, both scoped....but I don't like them for moving targets.....and the 460 is OMG LOUD.

fatbacks

WKR

[mention]Snyd [/mention], after meeting you at the range this summer, you inspired me to put an old 44 Mag that (rarely got used) to use. Recently put this together and I am bringing it to Kodiak with me next week. Hope to call a deer in really close. My god it’s hard to shoot this. I guess I need a lot more practice.

b77b7896a01c6750edf46f5f11808425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
[mention]Snyd [/mention], after meeting you at the range this summer, you inspired me to put an old 44 Mag that (rarely got used) to use. Recently put this together and I am bringing it to Kodiak with me next week. Hope to call a deer in really close. My god it’s hard to shoot this. I guess I need a lot more practice.

b77b7896a01c6750edf46f5f11808425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent! Keep shootin!
High powered scopes on handguns can be tricky. They magnifiy all the wiggle. I have a 4X on my FA 454. A few years back I hunted Kodiak with my 45 Colt with a 2X scope. What a hoot! I'd sure like to do it again someday. I killed these 3 bucks at 50, 65 and 110ish yds. Load was a 355gr at 1200fps.

P4070004.jpg

PB040030.jpg

PB050047.jpg

PB030010.jpg

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
I have a SBH 44 brisket hunter. I would be interested in hunting with it. Any optic recommendations from those with experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Do you mean Bisley Hunter? I have a 45 Colt SBH Bisley Hunter and for years had a 2X Weaver scope on it. I loved it. Then stupidly sold it after getting a 4X Leupold which is now on my FA 454. I need to get another 2X weaver but they quit making them. I don't care for variable scopes on handguns. a little bulky for my taste but mainly because anything above 4X and they are hard to shoot.