handheld release shooting to the right

bignocks

FNG
Hello everyone. Ive been shooting a wrist strap release since i began archery many moons ago. I decided to finally talke the leap and start practicing with a hinge and also a thumb release. I seem to consistently shoot a few inches to the right at 20 yards. I know my anchor is slightly different due to the nature of the release. Is this normal or is there a particular thing I should pay attention to with my anchor? Id hate to have to resight my bow anytime I switch releases. Thanks for the advice.

Could also be the type of release you're using. I remember reading an article a while back where they tested accuracy with 3 different types of releases. Pretty sure they was an open hook, single caliper and dual caliper and they all shot different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When I first using hinge and/or tension releases instead of my wrist strap I as well shot to the right. But after some time and practice I have the same point of impact or relatively close. So just keep it up and keep practicing before you decide to resight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s very rare to have a wrist strap have the same point of impact as a hand held. It is difficult to get any two release to have the same point of impact that don’t have the same handles.

Your anchor point may seem the same but the position of the point on your string that you attach the release will change with a different release. You could also be following thru or not following thru with you release hand in a different manner.

Pretty common. I don't shoot an index finger any more but when I still did, my hinge, thumb and index all had different points of impact. I now have two bows set up, one for the hinge and one for the thumb.

You might even have to retune if you are pulling through at a different angle (i.e. yoke tune/shim/move rest). Or you might need to consider a loop length adjustment if it is short and you are twisting your hand a lot (or again, it is making pull through at a different angle). Also, a lot can depend on how you are holding the release. If you haven't already, watch some Dudley youtube vids.

Last edited:
check to see if you are anchoring behind the string in the same position as with a strap. meaning your sight picture through your peep and your housing are similar with both releases. most of the time they will not be because with the handheld you are twisting the loop causing left or right torque. one way to reduce this is by lengthening your loop as mentioned above. very common and typically not an issue.. just make sure you sight in with the release you will be using.

This exact same thing happened to me when I went from a hinge to the Evolution. I believe I ended up adjusting my site for the Evolution and then later began to shoot the hinge the same as the Evolution. I think I was rotating the hinge instead of pulling through. When I started pulling through with both releases the arrows started hitting the same poi.

The anchor point is changing effecting the nock torque which redirects the poi Sometimes a short Dloop will exaggerated the twist of the string with a thumb release as compared to index. Its about how the release manipulates the string. that effects the poi down range. Index finger releases wont usually twist the string. Most handheld releases will.

Very common. The anchor point is much different and most likely pulls your nock closer to your face kicking the point right. Sadly I wasnt able to jump back and forth between releases for this issue.

I've got a theory on the differing poi with different releases.

On my longer A2A bow, I anchor further forward with a slightly shorter DL, get less facial pressure and a more consistent anchor and can switch between releases without changing POI. Wrist, thumb, tension, or hinge.

I'm trying out a Triax, have to run a longer DL, which means I have to anchor further back, and am getting more facial pressure on the string when I try to maintain a consistent anchor.

Need to spend some time on the range, but I'm betting my POI changes with the short A to A bow where it does not with the long A to A....

Back