Hard rifle cases - foam configuration strategy?

I have a hard rifle case coming from Harbor Freight soon - a Pelican knock off that is supposed to be quite nice. I will be using it for air travel. When it comes to configuring and cutting out the foam myself, I'm looking for any suggestions on a strategy. Right now, I'll obviously cut out a section to fit the rifle with scope on. I may cut out a section to accommodate the bolt, as having it outside of the rifle may speed up a TSA check. I would also cut out a spot for a box or two of ammo.

Aare there any other items I'm missing that are worth cutting out sections of foam for? Sling, bipod perhaps?

N2TRKYS

WKR
Having the bolt out won’t do anything for TSA. I never considered or would I ever cut the foam in my hard case. I use a soft case for transporting my weapon when I get to my destination. So, my weapon rides in a soft case while in my hard case.

Loper

WKR
I’ve looked at the HF cases and they seem well built. I like that they have wheels. I’m pretty sure they are the same as the Magellan ceases they sell at Academy.

I like the look and idea of cutting out the foam, but I use my case for both flying with my rifle as well as my shotgun depending on what type of hunt I’m going on.

Mine is a double case and I believe those HF cases are as well. I’m glad I didn’t cut the foam in mine, because a couple of times I’ve put my buddy’s rifle or shotgun in the same case and split the cost of the checked baggage fee

Foam replacements on Amazon are inexpensive.

I have a cutout for those firearms that I travel by plane with. I’ll cut out the rifle, two boxes of ammo, and my Slik tripod (sometimes the TSA has been bitchy about it being in my carry-on). Shotgun is easier: shotgun and two boxes of shells.

smith406

FNG
I’m in the camp of soft case in hard case.
As far as things to add, a cleaning rod takes pretty much zero space.

Be careful where you fly through with ammo aNd gun in the same case. That is a no no in some states (NY for example)

rayporter

WKR
i always remove my bolt and put it in a pouch made to hold it.
[a rag will do] the bolt sticks up when in the rifle and can have a lot of pressure put on it if the case is on the bottom of a stack.
put anything you can in the case to get the wt up to 49lbs.

OP
S
Actually, I'm open to not cutting the foam at all, but I'm not sure if the existing foam has enough "give" that the case can be closed without putting too much pressure on the rifle. I do think that the foam on the bottom of the case is 2 layers, so I might try taking one layer out to make more room and try the idea of using a soft case inside the hard case. It gets here tomorrow, so I'll know for sure then. The more I research the "pluck and pull" foam in this particular case, the more it looks like a pretty crappy system. We'll see soon enough...

rayporter

WKR
if you take out too much foam the rifle fit will be sloppy and the rifle will slide around. this can cause the rifle to get momentum if the case is thrown around and you might get a barrel sticking out of the case.

a bud picked up an SKB in a trash can at the super shoot that had had the end knocked out by the barrel. he fixed it up with jb weld.

i had it happen once when a smith sent a rifle to me.

you cannot be too careful.

How else do they expect you to transfer ammo? Do they allow you to put it in your checked luggage?
In NYC (also the 3 main airports patrolled by the port authority, the gun must be in a locked case. No ammo inside the case. You can check ammo but it has to be in a separate checked bag. print the regs And bring them with you If you travel in hostile territory. It has to be in a container where it is not touching Or rolling around. Some people think that means a sealed factory box. It does not according to the TSA.

there are other places where you can’t travel with ammo inside the gun case.

years ago the New York airport issue I described above cost me a nice Sig handgun and about $7k in legal bills to sort it out.

OP
S
if you take out too much foam the rifle fit will be sloppy and the rifle will slide around. this can cause the rifle to get momentum if the case is thrown around and you might get a barrel sticking out of the case.

a bud picked up an SKB in a trash can at the super shoot that had had the end knocked out by the barrel. he fixed it up with jb weld.

i had it happen once when a smith sent a rifle to me.

you cannot be too careful.
Appreciate the advice - and this is my main concern. I don't want so much pressure on my rifle (like having to really muscle the lid closed), that it will potentially put lots of pressure on my scope and push it out of alignment, but I absolutely want a firm fit so that my rifle won't move around if the case is knocked about. I'll experiment and see if I can find the sweet spot.

OP
S
In NYC (also the 3 main airports patrolled by the port authority, the gun must be in a locked case. No ammo inside the case. You can check ammo but it has to be in a separate checked bag. print the regs And bring them with you If you travel in hostile territory. It has to be in a container where it is not touching Or rolling around. Some people think that means a sealed factory box. It does not according to the TSA.

years ago the New York airport issue I described above cost me a nice Sig handgun and about $7k in legal bills to sort it out.
Ugh. Fortunately, I'm flying ATL to Denver to Casper - so I don't anticipate any kooky gun laws to deal with. However, I am driving back and I am specifically avoiding Nebraska, as I intend to have a loaded pistol in the car and their laws are a bit weird on both the state and city levels. I'm going through Kansas instead. My GA firearms permit has reciprocity in Kansas and all of the other states I'll drive through to get home.

rayporter

WKR
with the bolt out i think you can put quite a bit of pressure on in and not hurt anything.
i would avoid any type of pressure that may push on the scope. i pack my rifle so the scope is on top when you are carrying the case by the handle. when i go after prairie dogs i muscle several cases closed because of the large stocks and scopes with no trouble.

you would probably not believe how easy a scope tube can move from pressure. it only takes gentle pressure with your thumb and forefinger to see an moa of movement.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve never had any pressure issues and have never given it a single thought when packing my case. My bolt stays in my rifle, as well.

rayporter

WKR
one of the first hard cases i bought has a hole worn in the foam and the bolt can touch the plastic. when i discovered that hole i started to remove the bolt.

Loper

WKR

Wow! That sucks you had to go through that.