Has anyone had the savage lightweight storm barrel threaded?

Elite

WKR
I know it’s not the most popular rifle but I have one in 7mm-08 and it weighs only 5.5lbs. I originally bought it to set up as a ultralight rifle for bighorn sheep hunting.

I’ll be honest I set it up with a swaro z3 brx scope to keep it light and it shot lights out at the range but I always seemed to grab my 8lb 30-06 with a dedicated dialling scope for extended ranges. I have taken countless elk/moose/deer with this gun and have confidence in it.

So now with the threads on smaller cartridges it has me re thinking the 7mm-08 as my do it all rifle now. I am wondering if anyone has threaded this thin barrel or dropped it into a new stock also? The stock one is flimsy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I measured one to be .550" at the muzzle. Without shortening it considerably, 1/2-28 might be the only option.
Like you, since reading through the 223 thread, I can't help but wonder what a 160 TMK from a 7mm08 would do..

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
I also own a couple savage 110s. This is the stock I keep coming back to, but stockys has a few other ootions also. I think getting the barrel threaded should be pretty straightforward, but I guess it depends on how thick the material is and what you plan to hang on it.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I also own a couple savage 110s. This is the stock I keep coming back to, but stockys has a few other ootions also. I think getting the barrel threaded should be pretty straightforward, but I guess it depends on how thick the material is and what you plan to hang on it.

Are you referring to the ultralight with the proof barrel?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Somebody like Shaen or kampfield (maybe LRI?) can put a permanent adapter on it as well as a collar so you can direct thread 5/8x24.

I threaded my model 16 stainless chambered in 308. I cut it back to 18” and threaded 1/2x28. It weighs less than 8 lbs ready to hunt (scope, suppressor, sling). It shoots the 150 grain core-lokt’s sub moa. I kept the flimsy stock on it too. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Negative. Steel barrel.

Only bad thing about those stocks are they only offer them for the proof barrel so it would be gaps for the normal steel barrel

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
Only bad thing about those stocks are they only offer them for the proof barrel so it would be gaps for the normal steel barrel

Yeah, this is true, but you won’t have to worry about barrel contact!

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I measured one to be .550" at the muzzle. Without shortening it considerably, 1/2-28 might be the only option.
Like you, since reading through the 223 thread, I can't help but wonder what a 160 TMK from a 7mm08 would do..

That was the ultralight storm?

drdrop

FNG
I threaded my model 16 stainless chambered in 308. I cut it back to 18” and threaded 1/2x28. It weighs less than 8 lbs ready to hunt (scope, suppressor, sling). It shoots the 150 grain core-lokt’s sub moa. I kept the flimsy stock on it too. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
@Gamehearse, any issues with the shoulder for threading a suppressor? I am also curious if you use a thread size adapter.

I didn’t experience any issues whatsoever. There’s enough material left for a solid shoulder. I had to order a 1/2x28 adapter for my Omega 300. It only came with the 5/8x24.

Attachments

• IMG_7390.jpeg
    IMG_7390.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7388.jpeg
    IMG_7388.jpeg
    666 KB · Views: 12

drdrop

FNG
Thanks @Gamehearse! Neat to see the suppressor setup! Which model is this one specifically? The video posted above measures muzzle diameters at 0.690", 0.585", and 0.550" for the .300 WM 110 storm, 116 weather warrior, and 110 lightweight storm 7mm respectively. The muzzle diameter of my 116 lightweight hunter in .270 measures right around 0.55".