Hatch or MDT Cykepod triple pull

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t handled either one and looking for opinions. Shooting off of a bipod suits me really really well. Just got back from a spring bear hunt and could have really utilized the option of going tall like either the hatch or mdt cykepod offers for a steep angled down hill shot.

From videos, it seems like the cykepod has a slight advantage from functionalities and sturdiness but loses on weight which doesn’t scare me a hell of a lot because the bipod I have on now is a heavy little sucker too. The cykepod is also twice as expensive.

Which one are you using?

I have the hatch and it's pretty versatile especially being able to sit down behind it. But! I fought it last season trying to setup on a buck on a steep slope that was cross canyon from me. The right leg kept collapsing on me when I was getting setup.
I picked up a cyke pod double pull lightweight. It weighs the same as the hatch, It doesn't go up very high something like 21" but I'm able to sit behind it hunched over a little bit if that helps.

Last edited:
For the price of a Ckye triple pull you could just get a proper shooting tripod though. Between Hatch/Ckye though I'd go triple pull.

I have a good tripod and love shooting off of it when time allows but I have had multiple situations where fast deployment of something stable like a bipod would be more suitable

I have a good tripod and love shooting off of it when time allows but I have had multiple situations where fast deployment of something stable like a bipod would be more suitable
If you have a good tripod I think a double pull might suit your uses better. A double pull would be more complimentary of a shooting tripod than a triple pull would be.

My buddy has a double pull and a hatch. And I have a hatch. We’ve compared them pretty heavily side by side, and both like the hatch more. The CKYE isn’t near as beefy and has slop between the extension connections. Also the legs pull out extremely easy and it is annoying every time you slide the rifle out the back seat or something if there a little gear on it, the double pull legs extend. I’d just imagine the triple pull would be the same.

My buddy has a double pull and a hatch. And I have a hatch. We’ve compared them pretty heavily side by side, and both like the hatch more. The CKYE isn’t near as beefy and has slop between the extension connections. Also the legs pull out extremely easy and it is annoying every time you slide the rifle out the back seat or something if there a little gear on it, the double pull legs extend. I’d just imagine the triple pull would be the same.
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for saving me some coin too. The ADM head will clamp to Arca, right? It looks adjustable on the tension from pics

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for saving me some coin too. The ADM head will clamp to Arca, right? It looks adjustable on the tension from pics
I’m not sure about arca. Better look into that. I think it’s only for a pic rail, unless they have an Arca specific option

I’ve had both and the triple pull is a lot more competition oriented. I use it extensively in NRL Hunter matches and a few hunts where weight isn’t a big deal. The hatch can get close to triple pull performance in the field and weighs less but is slower overall in adjustment on the fly for a shot.

If speed is important go with the Ckye pod. If weight is important go with the Hatch.

There is a reason guys are spending close to $2k to piece together a hybrid triple pull lightweight for comps.

There is a reason guys are spending close to $2k to piece together a hybrid triple pull lightweight for comps.
I don’t think I’ve seen this yet… maybe I just haven’t noticed. What is it they’re doing? Is there a thread somewhere

The CKYE isn’t near as beefy
I strongly disagree with this, Ckye TP is definitely beefier & supports weight much better & is noticeably more steady

To OP, I have a 36” Hatch and think it’s great for ultralight backcountry type hunting, but would advise against it on heavier rifles (14-16lb w/everything attached). The Hatch far more flexible/springy than the Triple Pull & just doesn’t support the weight well at longer extensions. The Triple Pull’s mechanisms for adjustments are also hugely superior to those of the Hatch IMO, but they come at a price (lbs & $)

I don’t think I’ve seen this yet… maybe I just haven’t noticed. What is it they’re doing? Is there a thread somewhere

I strongly disagree with this, Ckye TP is definitely beefier & supports weight much better & is noticeably more steady

To OP, I have a 36” Hatch and think it’s great for ultralight backcountry type hunting, but would advise against it on heavier rifles (14-16lb w/everything attached). The Hatch far more flexible/springy than the Triple Pull & just doesn’t support the weight well at longer extensions. The Triple Pull’s mechanisms for adjustments are also hugely superior to those of the Hatch IMO, but they come at a price (lbs & $)
I certainly may have misspoke, as my comparison was with a hatch and a double pull (lightweight, version? If that’s a thing)”. Either way, the double pull was much more sloppy and rattley at the same heights as the hatch. Probably an unfair comparison in this circumstance. A big triple pull is probably superior to the 36” hatch. If you have that experience using both of those models, I’d certainly trust it 🤙🏼🤙🏼

Oh I see what you are saying, and I think you’re correct.

The MDT Double and Triple Pulls definitely have more play at every joint. However, when you load the bipod you can take the “slop” out & at that point they flex less. The Hatch is the opposite - tolerances are tighter and there is less slop, but you can really flex the legs when you load them

At full extension, I’d be running a tripod rear or hugging a backpack with either, in which case the difference really just comes down to speed and weight.

The MDT Double and Triple Pulls definitely have more play at every joint. However, when you load the bipod you can take the “slop” out & at that point they flex less. The Hatch is the opposite - tolerances are tighter and there is less slop, but you can really flex the legs when you load them

At full extension, I’d be running a tripod rear or hugging a backpack with either, in which case the difference really just comes down to speed and weight.
Oh that makes perfect sense! My limited experience with the CKYE clearly shows, since that was just my first impression of it after a small use case. I really need to quit giving my opinions on shit without having an elaborate amount of testing haha.

I mean you’re right though, they have slop & some people really don’t like it

They’re unmatched for comps though

Can you sit behind the double pull if you wanted?

In regards to the $2k ckyepod comment - what guys are doing are buying two bipods. The double pull lightweight and the triple pull. They swap the heads from the lightweight onto the triple pull. LW head doesnt have the barricade stop, uses Ti hardware and a few other differences that I'm not certain on. Saving something like 6 oz or so, could be more.

I called MDT a month or two ago to ask about the triple pull weight and mentioned I was trying to make open light for NRL hunter with a triple pull. MDT employee told me to hold off on actually purchasing a triple pull if weight was a concern and sign up for their news letter, hinting there's a lightweight triple pull coming. I've heard rumors about a LW triple pull coming out in the competition circle.

For what its worth, I ended up purchasing a LW double pull (still on backorder) and plan to shoot off a tripod if i need the extra height, but I do have friends who hunt with their triple pull and dont plan to ever leave it at home.

Can you sit behind the double pull if you wanted?
I definitely can @ 6’ & pretty lean - I spread my legs out a bit & brace my elbows on the inside of my knees. Note that I’m hunched over even with my tail flat on the ground. If you’re taller and have a large gut you may have an issue. I’d have to measure, but your scope centerline should be somewhere between 22-23” off the ground. Shooting over obstacles or on/at high angles is where the Triple Pull really stands apart

MDT employee told me to hold off on actually purchasing a triple pull if weight was a concern
Great intel, thanks. Probably why a few have come up for sale on the Hide PX in the last couple of weeks

Back