Hatchet vs Saw

OP
Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Sven Saw and a lighter forest style axe have worked very well for us when we want fires at night.

A Sven Saw was my second choice. I like how tiny they are. Seem like good reviews as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got a sven was Iv been really happy with.
I carry anything from a bigger knife, to a folding saw, to a small splitting hatchet and the 21” sven saw. Depends on what is available for wood, how wet it is, and how heavy my backpack is.

Silky Zubat (fixed blade w/ sheath) or Silky Big Boy (folding) are just 1 pound each...Serious tools for tree guys.
Smaller option is the Silky Pocket Boy (folding) at only 1/2 pound.
I have them all & they will amaze you with their capabilities.
Also great for bones.

IMG_1310.jpg

Mosby

WKR
I just bought a SO Redcliff and stove this year. When it gets wet and cold, I am planning on taking a folding saw and a Mora farrier knife to baton wet wood with. I have a fire pit near my house and will be experimenting with it over the next couple of months to make sure it does what I think it will do. I also have some Blind Horse knives that are built to baton.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
The rock is the best. Lean the piece you want to break on something, pick up a basketball size rock and just drop it. Any wood that's too big to break this way isn't going to fit in a packable stove anyway.

Reactions: dla
I know this isn't what you want to hear but leave your saw, hatchet, stove, etc at home! A fire will coat your clothes with smoke anyways! I hunt from before daylight to after dark and the last thing I want to do at the end of a super long day is find and cut firewood!

This is the sort of dumb shit that frustrates me with current RS members. Used to be a nice, quality, QUIET forum where you could get advice and responses from qualified members.

Stuie88

FNG
Gransfors bruks hunters axe, love that thing. Nothing better than a small fire and a whiskey on a cold wet night, and there was one occasion where I believe having a fire saved my brothers life when we were caught out in some terrible weather

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
My post was merely constructive criticism! I really don't believe there is a need to haul a hatchet or saw into the back country and spend valuable time that I could be hunting and recovering from a hard day in the field cutting/gathering wood....and tending a fire. I would rather use a gas stove and spend my quality time hunting! That makes a lot of sense to me and my style of hunting. It obviously isn't for everyone!

Randle

WKR
My post was merely constructive criticism! I really don't believe there is a need to haul a hatchet or saw into the back country and spend valuable time that I could be hunting and recovering from a hard day in the field cutting/gathering wood....and tending a fire. I would rather use a gas stove and spend my quality time hunting! That makes a lot of sense to me and my style of hunting. It obviously isn't for everyone!
The OP s question was about a tool to process wood, not about is it silly or not to have a wood stove. As for the smoke I have hunted deer and elk spots where they are eating out of smoldering slash piles . I find it a good cover scent .

OP also states in his first few words...he has a titanium stove....if you can't connect the dots that it requires fuel.....most commonly used are dead trees.....in order to heat a shelter.....maybe a Michael Waddell RealTree Flatlanders forum would be a better place to convey your wisdom and opinion.

I keep a Bahco Laplander saw in my pack. It is the only one I have used for the past 5 years and has worked fantastic for me. Not sure how it compares to the Silky Gomboy.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Last summer I went backpacking with a group of guys and we each brought a different wood processing tool. Medium axe, small axe, Sven saw, small folding saw, and a silky bigboy. The Sven Saw was the tool that saw the most use, but the silky was a close second. The medium sized axe, a collins boys axe, saw some use too. The smaller axe and the smaller folding saw hardly got touched.

I just use a cheap folding saw. It works fine but those silkys look pretty sweet.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I am a fan of the silky pocketboy for keeping my teepee stove going. I like to cut tight grain limb wood just small enough to fit into the stove. Stoking it with that seems to keep it going a little bit longer, as they are not very airtight.

mcseal2

WKR
They’re hand made, when you have an issue with it you give them a call and you talk to the man who forged it. The steel itself is really good for the purpose (bone chopping). I’ve only had the very top of the blade and the very bottom of the blade roll and that’s from bad strikes at night on bone via headlamp. I’ve had it covered in blood and slick with fat yet still kept a solid grip on it. The blade angle prevents it from getting stuck and it cuts really well. I have hand forged knives just as spendy as the axe, quality has a price. Though to be fair, I’m a buy once cry once kind of guy. When I used a Gerber for bone, the blade chipped and almost the whole cutting edge was gone just doing the ribs.

I had the same problem with a Gerber on bone. To be fair I probably had to fine an edge on the Gerber at the time. I now have a GB small forest axe that I love. I have a canvas sheath that holds the axe, a Bob Dustrude folding bow saw, and a 4.5” tough knife. It doesn’t go on my back much but goes as far as a boat, plane, vehicle, or horse will take it. Its great to have around base camp or in the UTV for down trees on trails.

I recently got a GB outdoor axe for a lighter option that can still handle light work. Our group will take it and a Gerber folding saw for our caribou hunt next fall to save weight. Wood might be scarce but they won’t hurt to have along

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Sven saw in my river boat but had never used it on bone. Are you guys using them on bone?