Haul Road Caribou Hunt

Lrs183

FNG
What do you guys appreciate a detailed right up of my 2022 Haul road rifle caribou hunt? I figure it would be fun to share what I learned and how I got from point a to point b from planning to carrying out a successful hunt. It'll end up being the length of a small novel by the time I'm done so I wouldn't want to waste the time if that type of post isn't always desired.

Anything in particular I should leave out?

I'll delete this thread if I go through with it. Thanks everyone!

What do you guys appreciate a detailed right up of my 2022 Haul road rifle caribou hunt? I figure it would be fun to share what I learned and how I got from point a to point b from planning to carrying out a successful hunt. It'll end up being the length of a small novel by the time I'm done so I wouldn't want to waste the time if that type of post isn't always desired.

Anything in particular I should leave out?

I'll delete this thread if I go through with it. Thanks everyone!
I think you already know the answer... There's a couple of similar type posts pinned to the top of this caribou forum that go into detail like you mention (although they were for drop camp hunts) that are super useful and a lot of people have thanked the authors for writing them up. And, there's always threads about people asking for the Haul road, so I'm sure a useful write up would also be appreciated by anyone who is looking to go. Maybe not so much by the folks that do it annually and don't want to see more people up there. :)

jamesb2h

FNG
I'd love to hear about it either on here or through PM. Some friends and I are planning the same hunt for next season.

OP
Lrs183

Lrs183

FNG
I think you already know the answer... There's a couple of similar type posts pinned to the top of this caribou forum that go into detail like you mention (although they were for drop camp hunts) that are super useful and a lot of people have thanked the authors for writing them up. And, there's always threads about people asking for the Haul road, so I'm sure a useful write up would also be appreciated by anyone who is looking to go. Maybe not so much by the folks that do it annually and don't want to see more people up there. :)
I hear you there. I'm defensive of my fishing and hunting spots back home. So I get it. I'll avoid labeling exact areas. I got some tremendous misc help from a gentleman on here. But outside of that, the nitty gritty of the hunt and planning plus execution came from me. So I'm a little more willing to share as pose to if someone got me on them

rayporter

WKR
in general i like reading about peoples exploits. it is far better to read here than watch on YouTube or read some cracked up sensational crap by a glory seeker.

i have been there and would like to go back, but age has put its foot down.

tell a good story.

OP
Lrs183

Lrs183

FNG
I'm not seeing a sure shot way to delete a post. Unless an admin will delete this thread. Decided im gonna not post

I would appreciate another write up. Headed to the haul road this august and been trying to learn as much as I can still. You can PM me if you want. I can't PM yet. Thanks

mrroughit

FNG
I would appreciate another write up. Headed to the haul road this august and been trying to learn as much as I can still. You can PM me if you want. I can't PM yet. Thanks
I am headed to the Haul Road the last week of August and first week of September. Would it be ok if I PM you before I head out to inquire about your hunt? I am interested to know the conditions and your success.

All the best on your expedition!

I am headed to the Haul Road the last week of August and first week of September. Would it be ok if I PM you before I head out to inquire about your hunt? I am interested to know the conditions and your success.

All the best on your expedition!
I will be up there aug 23rd- sept 3rd. Sounds like our trips might overlap. Feel free to PM. I'll also be interested in how you do! I can't PM yet...

Good luck!

I would love to hear about this. I am trying to plan a combination caribou/moose hunt for my wife and I.

Ts1

FNG
As much as I’d love to read about it, I’m glad you didn’t post it. I was up there last week and the road was already busy and the caribou hadn’t shown up too much yet. While I did meet some awesome people up there I don’t want more people there next year 😹

As much as I’d love to read about it, I’m glad you didn’t post it. I was up there last week and the road was already busy and the caribou hadn’t shown up too much yet. While I did meet some awesome people up there I don’t want more people there next year 😹

Oh don't worry, there will be plenty. It's the new hip thing to do, until it's gone like every other hip thing up here (POW to a draw for bear, 23/26 Closure, Kodiak deer, etc).

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here's a blast from my past (circa 2010) documentary on the Haul Rd hunt I never released. The illegal kill I captured helled up my use of the footage until that guy's legal case was decided. The project sat for several more years and then I left BHA and then the harddrive was damaged...I thought the project was lost. Now recovered!

This is the first hour of that documentary that covers the Haul Rd hunt. I'll eventually release the "5-mile Hike" and the "Haul Rd Float" videos too, but that'll take more time. It's pretty raw without final editing and pro touches, but the content might help y'all know what to expect.

Last note is herd population crashed <12 months after the ADFG interview, so don't rely on herd figures and statements of being a "thriving population", but to my knowledge that's the only fact presented that has changed since filmed.