Havalon Knives & Warranty

DakotaBUB

FNG
Do havalon knives have a warranty? My baracuta lasted 2 minutes into skinning my elk before a pin fell out of it and now the blade does not have a back stop. Needless to say, I was not impressed with the quality of the equipment. I had 2 other knives which got the job done, but not happy with the Havalon!

Thanks,

AdamW

WKR
I would make a 60 second call to Havalon this morning and find out. I'm getting ready to do the same on a non-functioning Delorme Inreach I need for a trip in 2 days. See, look at the bright side. :D

Customer Care is available Monday through Thursday from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, and Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time.

1-888-836-3204 Phone

Don't make the mistake I did and get the Gerber version of replacable blade knife. I didn't get half way skinning my elk and used 3 blades. It was dull compared to Havalon and flimsy too. Ive use both and the havolan is a lot better imo. I would recommend the longer blade model as elk hams are really thick but short blades are fine for skinning. I guess both lengths interchange on all knifes, so a couple of short for skinning and a long for boning might be the ticket.

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
Don't make the mistake I did and get the Gerber version of replacable blade knife. I didn't get half way skinning my elk and used 3 blades. It was dull compared to Havalon and flimsy too. Ive use both and the havolan is a lot better imo. I would recommend the longer blade model as elk hams are really thick but short blades are fine for skinning. I guess both lengths interchange on all knifes, so a couple of short for skinning and a long for boning might be the ticket.
Thanks for your post. I've been considering getting the Gerber Vital because their system of changing blades out looks easier but with your experience I think I'll stick with my Havalon.

bbrown

WKR
Don't make the mistake I did and get the Gerber version of replacable blade knife. I didn't get half way skinning my elk and used 3 blades. It was dull compared to Havalon and flimsy too.

Gerber uses the same 60A/XT blades as the havalon I believe so that shouldn't be an issue.

On the other hand, I played with the gerber at Sportsmans - it was pretty small in-hand and I have pretty small hands (no jokes needed here...) for what it's worth.

On another note I sure hope you are not TBM from Bowsite...

jspradley

WKR
Thanks for your post. I've been considering getting the Gerber Vital because their system of changing blades out looks easier but with your experience I think I'll stick with my Havalon.
The Gerber blades are way thinner...you can use the Havalon blades with the Gerber knife

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
D

DakotaBUB

FNG
So just to fill everyone in on my busted Havalon knife. They do have a warranty (however was given no specifics) and I experienced good customer service. I had to ship the busted handle to them, they in return sent me a new knife including 5 new blades. Overall I am happy with the service. Just not so sure about what those knives can handle. I do think they have a place in my kill kit. Just not as tough as I thought they would be.

Thanks,

MattB

WKR
It sounds like the pin falling out was a fluke. The blades do not take side pressure well, but I have never had any problems with the 2 handles I have had.

GKPrice

Banned
I used the Shockey Havalon Titan on our bull hunt, took care of 3 bulls with it and it worked just fine - there are way more options for blades than I had imagined - I just ordered two more Titans for the boys today and a bunch of replacement blades - I ordered 115XT's and there's a version (704 I think) with a rounded point that I liked for working the innards that my fingers appreciate - the fixed blade seems like a good one, more use will tell that