Havalon vs Outdoor Edge replaceable knives? Small fixed blade knife?

What Havalon knife or Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife do you use? Also looking for a small fixed blade knife, nothing custom. Right now I only use the Victorianox paring knife.

TIA

I have both. I’ve had my outdoor edge for a few years now and just got the havalon in the fall. I like the outdoor edge a bit better as it’s a bit bigger, but for skinning and cleaning skulls for euro mounts the havalon does really good.

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
I've got the havalon piranta and also the Outdoor Edge. I'll break a blade on the havalon if I'm not careful. When I'm not counting ounces out to 2 decimal points I'll go ahead and carry the Outdoor Edge. For a small fixed blade it's hard to beat the Benchmade Steep Country. I've got a drawer full of custom knives but for backcountry I'll usually carry the havalon and the Benchmade.

Fullfan

WKR
Also have and carry both while cashing bulls. The outdoor edge gets the nod. Blades are heavier and easier to replace. The havalon is nice for close in and small work. If I could have just one, it would be the razor lite pro by outdoor edge.

Have any of you guys used the Havalon Titan knife? Its a two blade folder. A nice solid blade and a replaceable blade that can be locked closed so you dont have an accident.

348635.jpg

rclouse79

WKR
I tried the outdoor edge because I though the blade release mechanism looked cool, but went back to a havalon because it held an edge better. Just get one of the plastic blade release helpers and you are all set.

rayporter

WKR
i have done an elk and several deer with the havalon and i like the light wt
but losing blades deep in a cavity is just not acceptable and i dont carry it anymore. changing blades was a non issue as far as i was concerned.
the outdoor edge is better but the wt means it gets left behind often.

I have been using an old fixed blade buck knife for all field dressing duties for the past 15 years. Received the outdoor edge razor pro for Christmas and used it on a late season doe my son shot. I could not believe how much better it worked than my old knife. I always kept the old blade sharp (so I thought) but the Outdoor edge was fantastic.

Steve1662

FNG
I started carrying the Ooutdoor Edge 3.0 EDC this year. I field dressed and skinned 2 whitetail with it this fall. Worked great. On the 2nd deer I had forgotten my buck knife so actually attempted to cut thru the breast plate. A no go. Bent the blade but would have been shocked if hadn't. Love it... except I believe it was made in China.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

While I don' think the Elk forum is the right place for this, I will still put in my opinion

I use to OE in my hunting pack/gear set. Great for gutting and skinning out animals in the field. I can clean up the edge on it by using my hone stick that I use for my kitchen knives

I use a wiebe fixed blade replaceable havalon/surgical blade when I'm doing coon and coyote hides. In a pinch I think a wiebe and a havalon would do just fine in my bag but the OE would work better because of blade design and its rigidity

ChrisAU

WKR
I use a 3" Outdoor Edge out west, I've done two Bull elk and two antelope with it. I use a 3.5" here with the zipper blade for Whitetail, I bet I've cleaned close to 100 deer in the last 5 years with it. Love both of them, love never having to worry about sharpening a knife.

Skee7533

FNG
I use the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite and like it alot. I have used it on serveral deer. I have not used the Havalon.

Drenalin

WKR
Not the brands OP asked about, but the Kestrel Mountain Scalpel and Mountain Caper are a solid set of knives if you don't mind the small handles.

Brooks

WKR
I have both and like OutDoor Edge better because it has stronger blades. My ODE knife skinned 8 elk, 3 mulies and 2 Antelope this season and helped on a few others. It goes on my belt not on my pack just so I always have it with my on a hunt.

I have used the Havalon Piranta on three deer, and have twice had the blade fall off. They are so small I almost couldn’t find them, which would have been a serious hazard.

I just bought an Outdoor Edge Razorlite 3.0 because the feedback I’ve seen is that this a lot less of an issue. While the piranta is light, this particular OE model is only a half ounce heavier. It’s also a more versatile/durable blade that could be used for general knife use that I would never use the piranta for.

N.ID7803

WKR
I have the outdoor edge as well. I skinned and deboned 2 elk with this this fall, using one blade. The only issue with it is, when it gets full of fat and other gunk, the blade is hard to remove to replace. I used a pair of pliers so I didnt cut myself.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both but switched to Outdoor edge razor lite for the past 4 seasons and haven’t looked back. Havalons Hold their edge better and are sharper but I have broken blades multiple times on elk. Outdoor edge locks in better and have not broken a single blade in the past 4 years. Outdoor edge are heavier but worth it to me for the added security and not dealing with broken blades at all.