Havalon vs Outdoor Edge replaceable knives? Small fixed blade knife?

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I've been happy with my Tyto 1.1 and Esee Izula combo. Does everything I need and weighs very little. It takes some practice and finesse to get used to those little blades, but I rarely break one anymore. I'm also cheap and I can buy 48 60A blades for $22 vs. $35 for 24 Outdoor Edge blades. I have a Havalon and ditched it for the Tyto after using it once. I didn't care for how hard it was to clean, especially in the backcountry. It is now relegated to bird cleaning.

Brooks

WKR
I carry a small Leatherman tool to grab the blade when I change out one if it gets full of skin and stuff and has had time to dry up a little, also when you replace a blade once you have it in push the tip of the blade in against a tree or branch until it clicks that way you know its locked in. I also find a 24 pack of replacement blade on the internet for like $20

Gone4Days

WKR
I have the OE Razor Pro and Razor Max. I use the Pro in the field and the Max at home when butchering. I love both knives.

Holocene

WKR
I have used both, but usually pack a Havalon Piranta for elk, deer, fish, turkey...everything.

The Havalon is so darn light and compact. The first year using it, I broke a blade. Now, I'm used to its tolerance and use a light, deft hand when processing.

With a surgical technique, you can break down an entire elk -- bone-in or boned -- with the Havalon without breaking blades. I'll generally use 3-4 blades for an elk, and I could probably do it in 1-2 but often will switch after skinning so that I don't get scent on the meat.

Outdoor Edge works great too if you are not an ounce counter or work with a heavier hand.

As insurance, I do carry a Benchmade Steep Country sometimes.

williaada

WKR
I own both knives. I prefer the outdoor knife overall because the blade does not come out. Havalon works well for skinning. Might look at the Gerber knife next.

sndmn11

WKR

BDRam16

WKR
#60A surgical scalpel blades attached to a #8 generic metal scalpel handle. Caped and skinned several deer with it so far and been very happy. Metal handle and 10 blades in a plastic carry case weighs 3oz on my kitchen scale. I think I have $15 into the set up with Kershaw branded blades.

Attachments

• E71E5444-1E0C-48F1-966F-1AF78F143595.jpeg
    E71E5444-1E0C-48F1-966F-1AF78F143595.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

OMB

WKR
When I'm going light, I can stick a Havalon and a half dozen extra blades in my Kuiu Pro harness, if they expanded that pocket a 1/4" inch I'd swap to an Outdoor Edge.

I’ve gone through lots of knives and have landed on the outdoor edge swing blade. I Really wanted to like the havalon but the blade is just too short for me. I always end up with jagged cuts and I never felt like I was able to control it like a bigger blade. If it was about an inch longer maybe it’d be ok. I also tried the bigger version the baracutta I think it’s called but the blade and handle were too long, the bone saw for that one is excellent though. I used the outdoor edge for the first time on a big cow elk and it was perfect. The blunt tip blade was like an easy zipper for the hide and saved the blade for everything else. After quartering the elk there was probably plenty of edge left for the deer I quartered a month later but the blades are cheap enough to replace a few each year I just used a new one. Very happy with it. I typically do all the other cutting at home with a couple different dexter russells.

I prefer the Pirahna for sharpness longevity. I have busted and dislodged blades. Just need to be mindful of twisting it. I have several OE and won't take them any more- they do not last. The Pirahnas are safer with a curved blade, that old straighter tip is a hand poking machine.

Jimss

WKR
Outdoor Edge are amazing! They are inexpensive and I currently own around 6 of them. Put them in my truck, backpack, shop, etc. They keep their edge well and don't snap! I do a lot of skinning of capes and hides....many of which are life-sized. It's tough to be OE!

Havalons are downright dangerous with blades that snap easy! In fact, I almost impaled myself when a blade snapped on a dall sheep hunt. I would definitely steer clear of Havalons unless they have come up with a different model that doesn't snap?

ericF

WKR
Havalon Piranta 2.2 oz
Outdoor Edge Razor Lite 2.8 oz

Havalon is sharper and will hold an edge better, but you have to be careful with what you do and how you cut.

Razor lite blade is not as sharp and will not last as long, but will take a beating. You can crank away at leg joints or anything else without having to worry about breaking the blade. Downside is you can't let the blade dry with junk in it or you will need pliers to get it out.

I like the durability of the Razor Lite and thats what I use. My buddy likes the sharpness of the Havalon and that is what he uses. Think about how you cut up an animal and the answer should pop out.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I have both knives and like the Outdoor Edge better as it is easier to switch out the blades. After using several different types of knives over many years, I love these knives and they are inexpensive too.

What Havalon knife or Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife do you use? Also looking for a small fixed blade knife, nothing custom. Right now I only use the Victorianox paring knife.

TIA
Have both. Like the Havalon much better. The blade release is easier on the Outdoor Edge but the Havalon isn’t bad either. You will break blades on the Havalon though. For fine/intricate work the Havalon shines. My Outsoor Edge lost the ability to hold a blade well and would flex and the blade would get loose. It did hold up for about 3 years and cleaned lots of animals though. Given the choice to have one I’d just get the Havalon.