Have T3x Lite Compact .223 - next up .270 low recoil?

My 11 yo has shot a .223 for years and started shooting a .243 last year. He did not like the .270 weatherby recoil at all. Tried a tikka 6.5CM a few months ago with 140gr anmmo and he did fine. He felt it was similar recoil to the .243

You can make some reduced recoil rounds for the 6.5cm. My kids both have light 6.5cm kimber hunters and it’s a great round. It still kicks like crazy with a regular load though in a light rifle, just like the old 308’s use to.

A heavy gun shooting off of a good rest is a great option and not shooting without being set. My youngest had been killing deer with my 280AI for years and he was a tiny kid. The rifle also weighs 13lbs so it’s Mellow to shoot. My 120lb wife also hunts with the AI. The only issue is that off hand shots are 100% off the table, it’s never cost us an animal yet though.

I wouldn't look past 7mm-08 either. The reduced recoil rounds kick about the same or less than .223 and you can go up to heavier bullets down the road. Both of my kids got these at 12 and I really like the round and how it performs.

I'd spend any future funds on quality suppressors if starting over with my kids who are now grown. For any future grandkids, it'll be 100% suppressed from the start. Those Tikkas would both be 18" and threaded before they went to the range.

I wouldn't look past 7mm-08 either. The reduced recoil rounds kick about the same or less than .223 and you can go up to heavier bullets down the road. Both of my kids got these at 12 and I really like the round and how it performs.

That is objectively untrue (unless we're talking about very different rifle weights). Both from personal experience, and the fact that even reduced recoil 120 grain bullets going 2500± will absolutely generate more recoil than a 77 at 2700±.

Going from a 7mm-08 to .223 and 6mm ARC rifles is the best thing I've done for my kids' shooting.

That is objectively untrue (unless we're talking about very different rifle weights). Both from personal experience, and the fact that even reduced recoil 120 grain bullets going 2500± will absolutely generate more recoil than a 77 at 2700±.

Going from a 7mm-08 to .223 and 6mm ARC rifles is the best thing I've done for my kids' shooting.
While it may be objectively untrue, I was going by the comments of my small statured 12 year old.

Back